blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My warranty is going to expire on my at pro next month and I was looking to send it in for basically a check up while it's under warranty. But I have heard some people saying after sending there's in the depth has decreased how's that possible. That's keeping me from sending it in I get pretty decent depth in my soil.

Other than that I would send it in right now just that holding me back. So what do you guys think on sending it in for a check up and the claimed loss of depth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is nothing wrong with it they are not going to fix anything under warranty. Save your money on the shipping and enjoy your next hunt!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly what Rob said.

Last edited:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it is not broke do not fix it .

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
NO two detectors even if the same brand and model are alike. I learned that only too well working with computers. You can easily get a machine that is faster, or hotter than another because of the difference in electrical components. Techs tune machines to try to achieve the same specs across the board.

Maybe when you bought your machine it was tuned to be hotter. Maybe when you turn it in for repairs they lowered the tuning specifications so it will be more stable and less hot. I have absolutely no clue as that would be an inside directive from Garrett.

The CZ-20's were an awesome machine. Now they are all becoming CZ-21's. Everyone believes the new parts are coming from China. The CZ-20's were all made in the USA. Nobody believes the 21's are as hot or deep as the 20's. Will First Texas admit it? I highly doubt it.

Anyway, I would agree with the others advice. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

S

stefen

Typically the factory will run a diagnostic circuit check and replace any diode and such falling below spec's.

The factory will give it a good bill of health otherwise.

However, they have no reason to make any alterations that would affect operational ranges, ie., depth.

Rather than having its brain checked, you might consider an extended warranty.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of a extended warranty on the at pro has anyone else heard about this?

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call it $50 swap. I'll sell my used product and buy one that was newly purchased and barely used and still under warranty. About a $50 difference.

You might consider this. Used AT Pros go for about $400-$450. Find one that's new/barely used and under warranty. Buy it. Sell yours at the $400 range. Out of pocket = not much and you get 2 years of warranty and a new(er) product.

Done this with Xboxes and the like. Don't know if I'll do it with my current equipment. Can't see that "using" an AT Pro will cause failure over time. It's pretty benign to simply swing something.

Warranties are not transferable. If you buy a used detector, it has no warranty. Even though many ebay sellers keep posting it does. Go to any detector manufacturer and read their warranty, "warranty the original purchaser...". Tesoro lists a $50 charge for merely looking at a detector out of warranty.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Warranties are not transferable. If you buy a used detector, it has no warranty. Even though many ebay sellers keep posting it does. Go to any detector manufacturer and read their warranty, "warranty the original purchaser...". Tesoro lists a $50 charge for merely looking at a detector out of warranty.

You are right about Tesoro's, and First Texas. However Minelab and Garrett are transferable. You have to read the the warranties as every company is not the same.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right about Tesoro's, and First Texas. However Minelab and Garrett are transferable. You have to read the the warranties as every company is not the same.

Thanks!

I didn't know that, I've spent most of my time with Fisher and Teknetics.

I'll keep that in mind, I enjoy trying different boxes as part of the hobby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread