Which headphones, Black Widows or Gray Ghosts.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to know what headphones members wear. Us hunters that hunt in the water have special requirements but dirt hunters also prefer different types even depending on the weather. I love my Black Widows and Gray Ghost Ultimate's but have many others. What do you like about them or don't like.

At Pro guys can use an adapter for the good phones. Black Widow headphones.jpg Gray Ghost Ultimate.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I dis-like Grey Ghosts, ever since I got a pair that had muffled sound quality. I've spoken to others that agree that Grey Ghosts have gone down-hill in recent years. They used to be good.

I've never tried Black Widows.

Why isn't Killer-B's one of your options ? :)

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't list Killer-B's cause I didn't think of them. They are fine phones.

I just bought a set of Gray Ghost Ultimate and hope they're as sweet as Black Widow's. I just got panicky at Big Boy's Hobbies web site. Saved a lot of money cause I almost ordered CTX 3030.:laughing7: Sorry Bart.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the GGA's on one of my Excaliburs. I like the sound quality and the separate volume control, but, they aren't comfortable on my head, and they drum too much. By that, I mean, they're not vented properly. It feels like you have your fingers in your ears while chewing gum. The GGA's are better overall than the stock yellow headphones, but, The stock blue ones are a bit better overall than either of the other two IMO.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you use the Explorer series & have hearing issues The grey Ghosts may not be for you.
I purchased a Pair a few years ago & they didn't last one Outing before I went back to my old
Troy's. And gave the Grey Ghosts to my Nephew for his E-trac. My nephew was OK with them.
But he has better Hearing.

I recently took another chance on DetectorPro & purchased Black Widows.

They seem to be Louder However, at a Ball Field I have been Hammering all my Signals in the outfield were whispers at best. All my Digs were very deep. I suppose I should have carried my Troy's out & double checked to see if the signals would have been Louder or non existent,
as I can't be sure if they are just picking up more or still softening certain tones.
I really dislike the thought of carrying extra phones out on the field though.
But may try next time to ease my mind.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an electrical engineer but I read somewhere that Fishers used 8 Ohm headphones but 100 Ohm was much clearer with differentiating the sounds. More crisp was the term, I believe.
Marvin

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had both. The Grey Ghosts are still going strong and the other pair broke over a year ago and got trashed. They were bought on the same day.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Black Widows unless it is very hot out. They are great when I hunt near active railroads. I have had to send them in the past 2 years to get re-cabled. I swing the F75 and do not like to remove my headphones when I retrieve a target, maybe that caused the wires to break on the plug end.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones on virtually all of my machines -- the sound quality is awesome, as is their comfort.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I have the Sunray Gold Pro from Big Boys. Work fine for me.

Oh, and the GGA's for underwater with the CTX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread