May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this 2012 article by accident while researching something else in Google. Pretty interesting. Maybe I need to buy myself some magnets, too.

Chinese Man Accidentally Invents Cash Magnet, Tunes it up and Turns Pro | RocketNews24

With the help of a powerful home-made magnet, a man in Nanjing, China, now spends his days collecting small change dropped in streets, rivers and drains, sometimes amassing enough to pay his daily living expenses.

After accidentally dropping one of his valuable farming tools into a nearby river, Aibao Cheng struck upon the idea of attaching a few magnets from a broken radio to a long pole and fishing around in the water. When he discovered that his quickly assembled device had picked up a small handful of coins after just a few minutes, he wondered what would happen with an even more powerful magnet…

Although Cheng’s device hadn’t helped him to locate his lost tool, he was so impressed by his own invention’s performance that he headed to out to the bright lights of Shanghai to buy a pair of more powerful magnets and then set to work building a larger, more durable “magnet rod” to fish around in the mud with.

Costing around 80 US dollars each, the magnets were far from cheap, but Cheng was keen to see what else he could discover sitting at the bottom of the shallow water. Sure enough, his mini investment paid off, and he soon found himself scooping up coins from all over town, lining his pockets with (hopefully cleaned) cash discovered in rivers, public toilets and swamps.

Now a full-time magnet man, Cheng says that he can pick up as many as 600 forgotten coins on a good day, making an average of 30,000 Chinese Yuan (US$4,800) a year. It just goes to show, those pennies really do add up!

Excuse us while we start rummaging down the side of the sofa…

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you imagine getting permission to metal detect in China?!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe me when I say...

That guy did not invent it. heh

And if U.S. coins were magnetic I would have been wealthy by age 20 :P

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Can you imagine getting permission to metal detect in China?!

Who says you can't detect there ? An md'ing buddy of mine married a Chinese girl. An emigrant who had moved here as a teen, but still has lots of family in China. He's looked into it , because they'll no doubt fly there from time to time to see family. And he's found nothing that says you can't. Is he missing something ?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I lived there I would toss my magnets into Wishing wells. :laughing7:
Marvin

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishing coins out of public toilets? Man, that's really hard core!

jeffrey1215

Jun 20, 2016
Portage county, OH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol, you will not get permission to metal detect in China except you work some mining Company. If you find anything like Ancient Coin or valuable stuff and gold, you have to return to local government office. Unless you want to be fined or go into jail. Once you find any high-value stuff, and return to local government, they will give you a silk banner as praise. lol

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And, since toilet paper is not available in public toilets there, those silk banners will come in handy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread