First Time Posting - Lookin for Advise on a Possible Business Card

newyooper

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I've done alot of reading on this site, this is my first post! I'll be ordering up my AtPro Metal Detector tomorrow after work. After reading numerous post, I thought having a business card was a great idea. I've come up with a front & back design, and would like your oppinion on it. If all goes well, I should be detecting by next Tuesday or Wednesday. Check it out and let me know what you think! Thanks!
Proof 666.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wouldn't give permission for someone to come on my property with a sharp knife (as shown in your figure one); though I'd allow you to search my property with a rounded tipped trowel; like this:
I'd also be skeptical and ask: What's in it for you? How would you reply?
Don...
trowels.jpg

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If your looking to do lost item recovery, it's fine. Make another card for knocking on doors private property hunting.

OP
OP
N

newyooper

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input Don! How's this? Now it doesn't look like I'd be digging with a 10" knife, and I'm digging for a key instead of coins. Regarding "What's in it for me?" The thrill and excitement of what you may possibly unearth. Possibly finding a coin that was around before JFK was assassinated, or finding something that was made before they put a man on the moon. It's definitely something that I'm getting into to make money on to retire. I like being outdoors, and this would be another way to do that. Proof 777.png

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You wrote: "It's definitely something that I'm getting into to make money on to retire." Is that what you meant?
Another situation: You're asked to find a ring--and you do. But you also found a $5 gold coin. What arrangement will you have made (before the discovery) with the landowner regarding finding objects not specifically sought?
Don....

OP
OP
N

newyooper

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that Don, should have said, definitely not getting into it to make money.
No experience Don, just really interested to get started, so I've been doing a lot of reading on different forums. The business card thing just seemed like a good idea. I guess to show you were kind of serious about what you were doing. Regarding the arrangement before hand, I've read so many different style of communicating with the homeowner, I guess I'd like to hear your recommendation on how to handle something like that. I'm just trying not to re-invent the wheel. I'm open to any advice you can give me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Delete the line about digging plugs and filling all holes. Home owners don't want people digging in their grass. Best to pop coins out with a screw driver till you get in the fields where you can retrieve deeper targets. Don't mention splitting finds as your only interested in recreation. :laughing7:

OP
OP
N

newyooper

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good observation Escape, I'll be doing some rethinking of this one.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I respect Sandman's opinion, but I take a different path. I make the assumption that the landowner might ask about you finding additional items. In that case, you need to be prepared with a fair, thought-out response--not a knee-jerk response. For me, I use a one page "Permission" agreement prepared specifically for each site; only the address (and the division number) need be filled in. As you said.........it would show you are serious about what you intend to do--and that you know your 'business'. The business card is a great idea--like the'Pickers' use on TV (though their's is a sheet of paper listing what they are interested in)--it's an effective 'door opener'. And the 'Permission' agreement will CYA in the event of property damage, injury and division. No doubt an online search for Permission Agreements will give you many ideas to incorporate into your CYA document.
Don.....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
newyopper,
If you were proactive and wanted to advertise for business, this format may interest you:

Dear (Property Owner's Name),
I would like to introduce myself. My name is (Name) and I have lived in (Your Town) for (Number of Years). I am (Age) years old, (married/single) with (number of children). Normally, I would prefer to meet you in person, but I feel that a letter beforehand is a better approach than just knocking on your door at an inconvenient time and invading your privacy.

I have been engaged in the hobby of metal detecting for (Number of Years) years and find it a healthful, enjoyable pastime that allows me to meet many interesting people. The thrill of finding old coins, buttons, etc. is very rewarding to me.

Recently, I have researched information that your property and the area surrounding it goes back many years. I would like to obtain permission for myself to detect on your property.

I want you to understand that I always respect the property that I search and leave it in the same condition that I found it. Normally the targets are no deeper than 4 or 5 inches and I retrieve them such that the ground appears not to be disturbed. In addition, I would like to offer my services to you.

Perhaps you or someone you know has lost a valuable ring, a cache or a farm tool. I would be willing to assist just for the thrill of the search. I have enclosed a self addressed stamped envelope for your convenience and would be happy to meet with you if further discussion is required.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
(Your Name)
(Telephone Number)
Don........

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is one of my early ones - my computer crashed - I have a newer one now but cant find pic - (I have over 40 yrs experience )
keep it simple
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/3705279856/
I had this one put on a tee shirt too - people will ask you questions and you may get permissions

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my actual card has phone # - I have some laminated too

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a b-card I built on the internet--100 cards/$1.99--- See add on TV all the time///
I just show my name
Sr Metal detectorist
E mail adderss
"Recovering History One Piece at a time"

phone,address

Simple --I'll put it in my car window when cellar hole/beech hunting or hand it to a home owner//

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HAVE DETECTOR

WILL TRAVEL

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simple drop the card idea. If you approach someone at their home just tell them what you'd like to do and explain it's a hobby. The second you tell the you will help recover lost property they will get suspious

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just have fun with it. You said ATPRO. Good machine but it takes a while to learn. Did you order the 5x8 coil with it? Most wind up getting it. Talk to the sheriff about helping to find stuff. It may be of benefit in the future if they know you. Good luck with it.

KennS

Tenderfoot
Apr 2, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Business Card Samples

Try these. I'm still working on mine. biz-cards-vistaprint.jpg card-archaeology.png card-property-owners.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions