D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think one of the biggest mistakes a person new to metal detecting makes is how they swing their detector. It makes no difference how good your detector is if you don't swing it properly.

In the past month and even this morning I talked to guys new to detecting that while swinging their detectors they were swinging way to fast and with a big arc at the end of their swing. I noticed most ended their swing with their detector 1' or more off the ground. A cpl of the guys were swinging so fast their detector didn't have time to react to any targets.

Even if I have to shorten my swing I always try to keep my detector as close to the ground as I can all the way through my swing. Swing speed equals recovery time. Some of the more advanced detectors you can swing pretty fast in comparison with other detectors but even the advanced detectors have a limit on optimum swing speed.

I practiced swing speed with my detectors more that target ID in a test garden. Most detectors have an ideal swing speed and some multi frequency detectors have ideal speeds for each frequency. If in doubt slow your swing down and practice having no arc at the end of your swing.

Upvote 0

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like the term, swing speed as most hunters think pendulum style, like swinging a grass whip. Coil must be View attachment 1294975 level from one direction to the return direction. It should also ideally overlap so all the ground is covered.

One day while hunting the water I seen a guy on the beach just dragging his coil behind him. When he got a beep, he'd stop to check it out. He walked over a lot of ground but didn't really cover it, But so long as he was having fun.???

That last line says it all, Sandman. I'm in no hurry. I just like the fun of the hobby. I don't worry about what I may have missed, but enjoy what I do find. My competition is whats in the ground, and not other detectorists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread