D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think one of the biggest mistakes a person new to metal detecting makes is how they swing their detector. It makes no difference how good your detector is if you don't swing it properly.

In the past month and even this morning I talked to guys new to detecting that while swinging their detectors they were swinging way to fast and with a big arc at the end of their swing. I noticed most ended their swing with their detector 1' or more off the ground. A cpl of the guys were swinging so fast their detector didn't have time to react to any targets.

Even if I have to shorten my swing I always try to keep my detector as close to the ground as I can all the way through my swing. Swing speed equals recovery time. Some of the more advanced detectors you can swing pretty fast in comparison with other detectors but even the advanced detectors have a limit on optimum swing speed.

I practiced swing speed with my detectors more that target ID in a test garden. Most detectors have an ideal swing speed and some multi frequency detectors have ideal speeds for each frequency. If in doubt slow your swing down and practice having no arc at the end of your swing.

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooner or later their shoulder will inform them of their failure! :-)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past month and even this morning I talked to guys new to detecting that while swinging their detectors they were swinging way to fast and with a big arc at the end of their swing. I noticed most ended their swing with their detector 1' or more off the ground. A cpl of the guys were swinging so fast their detector didn't have time to react to any targets.

Every time I see that, I laugh and think "Good! He's leaving plenty for me!"

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not correct another persons swing----------------he could be leaving you riches.:laughing7:
I try to swing a flat 5 foot sweep/semi circle at around 2 feet per second. I kinda look like I'm spreading topping on a big, big cake.
I think most manuals describe the "How to" for our particular Detector. Some say graze the ground and some say 1" above the ground.
Look at some of the you-tube stuff and check out their swings for a certain coil and detector.
The main thing is get out there and sweep in this good weather.:occasion14:
Marvin

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have noticed is one of the many reasons why 10% of metal detector users find 90% of the best finds -- using proper technique, knowing their machine, research, etc. I've not only seen the "golf swing," but I've even seen one person detecting with their coil on backwards.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Graze the ground versus 1" above the ground seems to ignore that 1" above the ground eliminates 1" of depth on deep targets. At a presentation at a gold show I attended, the detector experts emphasized keeping the coil as low as possible or practical in order to not miss targets.
luvsdux

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Keping the coil level is a fundamental part operating the machine, and I agree that many do not adhere to it.

I think that seasoned detectorists take for granted the skills and habits that have made them successful.

I saw a post from a new detectorist that was asking for tips from the forum a week or so ago.

Most answers, 2 pages worth, advised what numbers to dig, what mode to hunt in, make a test garden, buy a pin pointer, etc.

All good advice, but this guy asked for 'tips for a noob'. It was an open question.

I was the last poster on that thread, and I copy and paste my reply here:

"Sweep with the coil parallel to the ground. I see a lot of people with a pendulum swing, and that is not good.

Find your detectors sweep speed and make sure that you maintain it as best you can.

Clean out your coil cover from time to time. Dirt can get in there and mess with readings.

Get a decent pair of headphones, and learn to detect with your ears. Do not look at the screen to determine good targets, go by sound.

Dig all targets until you feel that you have a grip on your machines language."

If you look at the whole thread, it seems that there are folks out there that think that success is a 3 step process.

1. Buy an AT Pro
2. Use the settings that I read about online
3. Post my awesome finds on T Net.

Nothing against that machine, so please do not take my post as bashing, but look at the thread. No mention of technique at all.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keping the coil level is a fundamental part operating the machine, and I agree that many do not adhere to it.

I think that seasoned detectorists take for granted the skills and habits that have made them successful.

I saw a post from a new detectorist that was asking for tips from the forum a week or so ago.

Most answers, 2 pages worth, advised what numbers to dig, what mode to hunt in, make a test garden, buy a pin pointer, etc.

All good advice, but this guy asked for 'tips for a noob'. It was an open question.

I was the last poster on that thread, and I copy and paste my reply here:

"Sweep with the coil parallel to the ground. I see a lot of people with a pendulum swing, and that is not good.

Find your detectors sweep speed and make sure that you maintain it as best you can.

Clean out your coil cover from time to time. Dirt can get in there and mess with readings.

Get a decent pair of headphones, and learn to detect with your ears. Do not look at the screen to determine good targets, go by sound.

Dig all targets until you feel that you have a grip on your machines language."

If you look at the whole thread, it seems that there are folks out there that think that success is a 3 step process.

1. Buy an AT Pro
2. Use the settings that I read about online
3. Post my awesome finds on T Net.

Nothing against that machine, so please do not take my post as bashing, but look at the thread. No mention of technique at all.

I don't think I saw that thread, but that was an excellent answer. You are correct that too often we dont mention the fundamentals because either the respondent doesn't have them themselves, or are so ingrained they stopped actively thinking about them.

The 1,2,3 is seen as questions too. "I just bought my CTX, what programs should I use". Too many people don't understand "programs" aren't "the thing". The REAL thing is understanding your detector so that you understand how to make the best set of changes "aka program" to fit your location, your targets and your trash.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrub scrub scrub!! I am a scrubber for sure, have been for 45 years. Always keep that coil on the ground whenever possible. But, no matter your swing speed, coil height or machine you use, luck still rules. I have seen folks with low end machines and golf swings that find amazing things while an experienced hunter with a great machine and proper swing and speed finds junk on the same field on the same day, simply by luck. A buddy of mine (a very experienced hunter with great technique and a fine machine) always says "I'd rather be lucky than good any day". By the way he sometimes hates hunting with me when I have a "lucky" day. All the advice in the above posts is fantastic for new hunters.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Jason, I remember seeing that post about a CTX program. I think that the XLT was one of the first detectors that had so many settings that 'programs' were actually needed. The CTX is not nearly that complex, of course. I find it weird that someone would shell out CTX money and have so little experience detecting.

Gunsil, I agree that luck can play a part. However, never has the phrase "luck favors the prepared" been more apt than when referring to a detectorist.

An MDer that has good fundamentals, knows his/her machine, and does their research will consistently outperform others over time.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the term, swing speed as most hunters think pendulum style, like swinging a grass whip. Coil must be 232.jpg level from one direction to the return direction. It should also ideally overlap so all the ground is covered.

One day while hunting the water I seen a guy on the beach just dragging his coil behind him. When he got a beep, he'd stop to check it out. He walked over a lot of ground but didn't really cover it, But so long as he was having fun.???

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to see this on the beach. I know there's plenty to hunt right behind them.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day while hunting the water I seen a guy on the beach just dragging his coil behind him. When he got a beep, he'd stop to check it out. He walked over a lot of ground but didn't really cover it, But so long as he was having fun.???

Day 2, his shoulder was to sore to swing! :dontknow:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

Low and slow is the way to go and don't forget to overlap also.

Regards + HH

Bill

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One day while hunting the water I seen a guy on the beach just dragging his coil behind him. When he got a beep, he'd stop to check it out.

LOL. Gotta say one of the best parts of water hunting is people watching. I see some hilarious detecting methods used by other hunters. I'm more than happy to help them if they ask but they never notice me in the water anyway.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting this. Recently I have started sweeping with my coil lower to the ground but I still find myself sweeping in a large arc. As I get going my pace quickens as I walk and my sweep speed increases. sweeping too fast is something that I have been aware of and at times I get a hit and then a really quick second hit because I swing through the first target an on to a second one. Then it becomes difficult to find the original target that had the better tone. I have to remind myself to slow down. I have never really thought about the size of my arc though and will practice sweeping slower with a smaller arc.
The weather here as been crazy though, we have had alternating days in the high 50's and then snow and rain. One day its sunny and in the high 50's the next day it rains all day and snows in the evening. Welcome to Wisconsin where you can experience every season in 24 hours. This being said its hard to get out and work on these things consistently.
Again thank you for the very helpful post and I will definitely put these pointer into practice!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use the Mississippi double slide swing in hard packed dirt, in softer soil and grass area's I use the Kentucky side winder.

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also per the discussion about concentric coils and DD coils I have both and the coil type does indeed seem to limit how fast you can swing the coil and get hits. I get far more hits with my DD coil when I start sweeping a little faster than I should. With the concentric coil I am actually forced to slow down. Also my concentric coil doesn't seem to pin point signals deeper than 5 or 6 inches unless the target has a fair amount of surface area facing up. I still have a lot to learn about both detectors so these are just observations I have made about the equipment that I am working with.
My F5 has 3 frequency options but I haven't played around with them too much as I have been focused on learning what a good hit sounds like and what target ID numbers indicate. I am also struggling with working in sand for some reason but I haven't had too much time to go to the beach!

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the Kentucky Sidewinder?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions