First post, which detector?

Oldiron

Apr 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wanting to get into detectingm and my budget is around $150 for a detector. Being a newbie, I want something pretty simple but that also performs well.

I have been looking at some vintage ones, like Whites and Garretts - are there any good tried and true vintage models of those? Or am I going to get a better fit from a newer unit like a Compadre?

Upvote 0

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best shot would be to buy NEW. You can get a Tesoro Compadre for $160.00 brand spanking new.
Here is the link. Pay no mind to those that say you must have a pin pointer. With your budget you can do without it until you find some valuable stuff to sell. Welcome to the world of metal detecting, but I must warn you, it's habit forming. Good Luck.
Marvin
Tesoro Compadre Metal Detectors- Kellyco

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with GA Boy. It's pretty hard to find a quality detector used in your price bracket. The Compadre Can compete with many new detectors and surpass many of them in certain hunt conditions. I'd recommend the 5 3/4" coil for it's separation and ease of pinpointing. Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
O

Oldiron

Apr 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you GA Boy and Tom Slick. I appreciate the advise!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call Bart at Bigboyshobbies, he is a straight shooter and will advise you which detector is best for your budget

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For $150 there isn't a whole lot of "non-straight shooters" advice to be had. The $160 Compadre is hard to beat

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Compadre is nice for beep and dig. If you want a display, not much out the will beat the BH Lone Star Pro for $156. It is the same process as the Teknetics Greek detectors with good depth and fast recovery speed. Plus it allows you to exchange coils where the Compadre doesn't.

lone-star-pro-faceplate.jpg

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the Compadre. Screens LIE! If you dig based on what a screen tells you, you will leave a lot of goodies behind. Compadre has LIFETIME WARRANTY. Try to get that from anybody else.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with the Bounty Hunter, it's a lot more detector for the money. Some like the single tone over and over, I can't deal with it.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the Compadre. Screens LIE! If you dig based on what a screen tells you, you will leave a lot of goodies behind. Compadre has LIFETIME WARRANTY. Try to get that from anybody else.
Absolutely, this is one time that one sound is worth a thousand pictures IMO.
Marvin

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For someone who has never detected before, Tesoro is the most unforgiving detector to learn on. Screens help as well as different tones for first timers.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take my advice. I went from BH Tracker 4, to a BH TimeRanger in less than 6 months. After i got the hang of the Tracker 4, i couldn't deal with not having an idea how deep the target was or what it could be. Had the Time Ranger for less than 6 months I upgraded to a AT Pro... If you are like me, you will grow out of the Compadre quick. Go with the BH Lone Star, as it has depth indicator and a estimated Target ID. There is a saying, Better to have it and Not need it, then to Need it and not have it.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whites target i d,150 bucks and killer beginner machine and simple to use

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty hunters are garbage! Do not waste your money. I don't know much about the Tesoro's, but I've only heard and read good things. As for the pin pointer, I'll never go without one. The time you'll save is worth the money.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bounty hunters are garbage! Do not waste your money. I don't know much about the Tesoro's, but I've only heard and read good things. As for the pin pointer, I'll never go without one. The time you'll save is worth the money.

You obviously don't have a clue!

KELLYCO*SCUBA*CHRIS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Apr 21, 2015
Orlando FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett AT Pro, Nokta FORS CoRe/Relic/Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the shout out!!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yet they sell more than any other detector with the worlds largest sales base. You need to take that show on the road.

Of course, you haven't offered much out of $150 detectors.

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Do you have any other useless information? I must not have a clue since I didn't buy my son a tracker IV for $150 and it was junk, then dealing with customer service was equally bad. But go ahead and preach on old man

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. Do you have any other useless information? I must not have a clue since I didn't buy my son a tracker IV for $150 and it was junk, then dealing with customer service was equally bad. But go ahead and preach on old man

What a guy! You really added a lot to this thread. Very helpful.

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not going to suggest a machine. I will just tell you what I did.

I saw the AT pro in action on Diggers and other youtube channels. I liked the features available on it so I wanted something similar but not as expensive. Craigslist and pawnshops turned up a few detectors but nothing really in my price range. Facebook's local buy, sell & trade group turned up a BH pioneer EX in like new condition for $75. It wasn't the best on depth but it was easy to learn on and with only 4 segments I was in for a lot of digging but it has discrimination and more than one tone.

A week later my wife found a BH Gold digger at a yard sale for $20, also like new. The needle meter seems useless but the discrimination knob works well, now my 6 year old's detector. Later that week, my wife found a Tesoro Cutlass II at a thrift store for $25 and was mint condition with dual volume headphones and a carry bag. That is now my son's detector and he does well with it.

So time for something new for me, I searched and reviewed machines with the features I originally wanted like those AT Pros. For a while I looked at the BH Quick Draw Pro but ended up selecting the Land Ranger Pro solely due to the features, weight and coil. It isn't a perfect detector, but neither are the AT Pros and Tesoro's. Just take a peek at their subforums as they all have issues. Try not to spend it all on the detector either, pinpointers, hand diggers and pouches all cost a little cash. Finding cool coins and jewelry is a special kind of joy that makes a cheap machine pay for itself quick. Then when you are totally hooked, upgrade your gear one piece at a time. Most folks here are extremely helpful and can keep you from getting ripped off by an uneducated purchase.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread