cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch .. The same thing i thought it was a good job of replacing the plug and grass and in time it will be like new .. If that was the only bad looking ones in the park only 2 nothing to complain about i think they were trying to do a good job while they did do a pretty good job...... Myself i do not hunt parks either...
You and I know that eventually the damage will disappear. The problem is, in the mean time, the dog walkers, picnickers, and all the other busy bodies will complain to the park superintendent, who in turn gives his work crew grief about it. That's how we get kicked out of parks and see metal detecting being banned. Perception becomes reality in these incidents, so, we need to be especially careful in what we do in a public park and/or school.

The Rogue

Greenie
Mar 17, 2016
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes, Vaquero, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old coffee can (plastic with a grip) for my excess dirt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys hunting shallow freshwater lakes even have to be careful of they're holes in the shallows. Its not like at the ocean where there are tides an waves to level things out.

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those sure are some big ugly ones. I came across a few this winter that looked like that, but not as big. Hopefully they green up now that the grass is starting to grow. It's definitely something to keep in mind here in the desert southwest.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the past two days I dug over 120 flaps in a park and this morning I couldn't tell where I had been yesterday other than a few spots where there was a bit of dark grass from dirt when I cut my flap. Part of it takes practice. I know I wasn't very good at first. I dug round plugs and sometimes the grass seemed to die but ever since I started cutting flaps none of the grass has seemed to die

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I when to my favorite park today after a good rain to look for some silver and this what I found , two nasty plugs some one needs some training . I lost my MOJO and left the park in pissed off mode

I actually want to thank you for posting this! I live in Wisconsin so it wasn't me. I have only been in this hobby for a couple of months now and I sheepishly admit that I was digging plugs like that until I read your post. In all honesty I was unaware that I was digging the wrong way! I literally thought plugs were the least invasive way to retrieve finds. However after reading your post and the replies I have since started digging flaps and am starting to become quite good at it.
Can't blame seasoned detectorists for being pissed when newbies make a mistake like this, even more so when the person is just lazy.
I guess that's why I like this forum so much. Here I was doing what I thought was right and now I have learned from experienced detectorists.

On that not what is the proper way to dig the really big signals?
For instance today I got a hit that was the same tone and target ID number that was in a the quarter range. What ever it was however it was 7 inches down and about 3 feet by 3 feet. I was in the middle of a grassy field and no where near any storm drains or power lines. I was curious as to what it was but this post came to mind when I considered digging it and I thought better of it. Is there a proper way to dig this out? and should I even attempt to dig it out?

Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig three sided plugs and then stomp them firmly back into place. I also do not dig lawns in June, July or August. And on some occasions I carry water and give each hole a little taste.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad this post helped you and for question I'll try to pinpoint the best that can and cut a small three sided plug , it sounds like a huge target

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are so concerned it's a problem, cover your butt and touch them up with some geen spray paint?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread