Dont plan on detecting in Boise!

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't plan on detecting in Boise!

Just a friendly bit of advice.......don't plan on using your detector in any city park in Boise, Idaho. They require a $10 permit and you must take a 2 hour class to get it. You must agree to obey ALL their rules, prove you can retrieve a target using only a short screw driver, and the classes only run in the summer. The only retrieval tool allowed is screw drivers 1/4" or less in diameter and no more than 8" long. You must wear your permit in plain sight so the "detector police" can easily identify you. I've heard from more than one source here the Boise city council treats detectorists like would be terrorists. And if that's not enough, there is NO detecting on any Boise school properties. And the sidewalk strip which is usually open in any town, is not. You must obtain permission from the property owner to hunt it. Can't wait to get out of here..........lol.........goldpaninut

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow, sounds like a lot of nerds on the counsel

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a friendly bit of advice.......don't plan on using your detector in any city park in Boise, Idaho. They require a $10 permit and you must take a 2 hour class to get it. You must agree to obey ALL their rules, prove you can retrieve a target using only a short screw driver, and the classes only run in the summer. The only retrieval tool allowed is screw drivers 1/4" or less in diameter and no more than 8" long. You must wear your permit in plain sight so the "detector police" can easily identify you. I've heard from more than one source here the Boise city council treats detectorists like would be terrorists. And if that's not enough, there is NO detecting on any Boise school properties. And the sidewalk strip which is usually open in any town, is not. You must obtain permission from the property owner to hunt it. Can't wait to get out of here..........lol.........goldpaninut

Sorry you live with the tree hugging educational elite socially aware residents of Boise (My Brother lives there as well).

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry you live with the tree hugging educational elite socially aware residents of Boise (My Brother lives there as well).

Oh no. I heard that. A few people dictating rules about what ALL the people own. It sux.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is plenty of places to hunt besides schools and parks. But it is a shame, if your not to have recreational fun in town where are you and the tourist to go? I mean if Mc Donalds is the draw there the town is in trouble. Most towns encourage using the parks, sounds like they let the wrong someone run the permit system. It is a election year, I think I would make it known.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder what happened there? Must of been terrible like mdr's getting blamed for holes made by squirrels!
Or somebody thought they needed permission.

OP
OP
F

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is plenty of places to hunt besides schools and parks. But it is a shame, if your not to have recreational fun in town where are you and the tourist to go? I mean if Mc Donalds is the draw there the town is in trouble. Most towns encourage using the parks, sounds like they let the wrong someone run the permit system. It is a election year, I think I would make it known.

What happened was in the early 1970s someone or something left a hole in one of the city parks & a kid stepped in it wrong & broke his ankle. Guess who got blamed for the hole......yeah......us detectorists. Parks & Recreation & the city council immediately got together & outlawed the use of all metal detectors in Boise parks & schools. The ban lasted for almost 30 years! Finally the detectorists won the right back, but only if they bowed down to all the insane rules imposed on them! The people who give the permits & test are very nice people. Her name is Mrs. Con & she's 80 some years old. I guess she's got thousands of coins buried in her yard at different depth and you're supposed to retrieve a couple "their way" only with a screw driver, then replace everything so you cannot tell someone just dug there. If its anyones fault its the parks & recreation dept. and the city council. I've seen dog holes in parks quite often big enough for a kid to break an ankle in......give me a break you city creeps in Boise!

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if it was a gopher hole,went detecting one day at the local park and was shocked to see the carnage a gopher did, must have been 20 some holes around, almost felt bad about being there, an idiot might have easily blamed me for the holes.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's terrible, but it could be worse -- they could ban metal detecting completely, like they did in all city parks in Durango, CO. -- I was there on a trip a couple of years ago and saw signs in all their parks -- I inquired as to why and was told it was due to people coming in and digging with shovels, tearing things up, so a few people ruined it for everyone.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like a good thread to ask. How exactly do you dig a target with a screwdriver? One of the oldest parks in my city, you're allowed to metal detect, but you can't "dig". I found this out when I first moved here and the police officer informed me of that fact. There aren't any sign in the parking saying such. I didn't argue it or put up a fight, just left. Over the years now, I have heard of people doing the screwdriver retrieval.

Seems like you would have to know exactly where the target is. I'm not sure I'm THAT good at pinpointing. Then, what do you do if the target is at the bottom of the screwdriver hole? How do you reach in to grab, say, a coin? And how do you not scratch the heck out of the target?

Also, regarding this same park, I've seen people metal detecting it and digging holes. It drives me insane because I was told by police that it is against the rules, and I did find the rules online, but I can't go up to them an say anything because there is a really good chance in this city that I would get shanked in the throat.

I hate this city. So historic - one of the richest cities in the United States at one point - and mostly paved over.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
id prefer this over having ambiguous laws concerning MDing. I'd pay the 10, take the class, and then I'd feel very entitled to MD all over!! Also, with a official state/city document that says 'you can MD' I'm certain I would get a lot more permissions from people with old homes ect. Think of the bright side of this situation! Boise recognizes our hobby and has a clean and cheap process for us to do it to our hearts content.

That said - I would ultimately prefer to be left alone, and not have to ask permission to hunt in public land.

Magnum (using a) PI

Feb 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds bad!

2 things - who are the "experts" who run the 2hr course and what qualifies them?
and how do you retrieve say, a coin at 8 inches with a screwdriver??

the worlds gone mad I tell ya!

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Do you have a phone # for the Boise Idaho City Hall, i have a few things i want to tell them.
I`m retired and half way nuts anyhow...i can call and give them a headache...maybe a lot of us can call.
1 800 would be better .
Gary

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hah, the title of this thread caught my eye with the "Boise". Because a couple of md'ing buddies of mine were passing through there about 10 yrs. ago. They hit a park, and started popping up silver. I forget the name of the exact one, but they said it only date to the teens or '20s. Hence the oldest coins they got were barbers. But they got enough silver, that they decided to stay the night there, to hunt it the following day too. And have since then flown back to Boise JUST to hunt that park some more. They pulled well over 100 silver in their several hunts there. And said that the top 6" was worked pretty good (someone cleaned out the clad and most of the '40/50s silver).

But in any case, they had no idea of any such rules there . And in the multiple hunts they made there, they never had any problems. No one ever said so much as "boo" to them. Oh well, shame on them, I guess they didn't ask enough questions.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They just needed to go down to city hall and demand permission in writing along with Red Carpet roll outs. Also don't forget to mention "dig" , "holes" and "Indian bones"

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
They just needed to go down to city hall and demand permission in writing along with Red Carpet roll outs. Also don't forget to mention "dig" , "holes" and "Indian bones"

Yes. Probably the reason that any such rule exists there in the first place. And I will promptly alert my friends. Who will now be grief-stricken with remorse for not having asked enough questions, to have known of such a permit. :evil5: There will be alligator tears flowing down their cheeks. :sad1: And they will most certainly be sending in their ill-gotten gain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions