Do you Sell or Keep your finds?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wanted to ask folks here if they sell or keep their finds. My family and I sell all of our finds, normally we will wait until we have about a kilogram or gold, a few kilograms of silver and any coins are cashed in at the end of the year unless they are old then we take and dumb them at a shop.

I only ask because I want to see if it is a national thing in selling or what; meaning I know a few Americans here in Europe that hunt, they too sell their stuff; however the Europeans I know keep their finds. There is one cop out of Luxembourg I often have professional dealings with, I got him into MDing back in 2005 and he loves it. He is often on the road with me when I travel but a few months ago I stopped by his house and he had an entire room dedicated to his finds, his wife and girls are also into this as well. They said it was their treasure room.

Anyway when I saw his gold he had close to 6,000 grams I told him that I have someone who can give him 3-7% under spot and he looked at me like I was nuts. Naturally I had to ask him if he could get better spot deals than that because my family and I pull about 4,000 grams on average in gold a year and if he can get better than 3% then I want to know where.

He tells me I must be crazy, they would never sell their treasures.

He is not the only European I have met like this, just the most extreme one.

I hunt for profit my self and love the hunt. Every African I have met in Europe MDing also hunts for profit and they sell too, Europeans though seem to really keep it close to them and many of them are also hunting areas that would only be good for profit.

So since this forum has a good amount of Americans and other nationalities I am just curious if you keep, sell, sit on the fence depending on what it is or go on a hunt with the sole purpose of selling your finds.

Thanks folks.

Upvote 0

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I clean the clad and put it in the Coinstar... maybe $75.00 every three months.

I keep the other stuff, coins, jewelry and relics. I have enough money to get by, however, I don't have nearly enough treasure!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put most of my clad through the snack machines at work. I love to hear coworkers complain about the change coming out of the machines. Its been awhile since Ive found much clad though

chazzcage

Nov 12, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep everything. I would suggest if you are not hard pressed for the money save all your gold and silver. If you keep it for many years the odds are much more in your favor of both going up considerably in value.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been keeping everything since I got back into the hobby hardcore in 2013..starting to accumulate several jars full of clad that I might cash in sometime for a down payment on a new top end detector. .but any silver coinage or old enough to be a wheat penny, I keep!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I tumble the clad and then cash it in at the bank. I keep everything else. If I ever find something that sells for $thousands.... I will probably sell it. (and then likely use the $ to buy more detectors :tongue3:)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My original intent when I first got into detecting was to make a few bucks with the hobby. Once the gold, silver and old coins started piling up I just couldn't bear to sell them.

What I am doing this year is saving all of my clad coins and buying silver and/or gold with whatever I have by the time it gets cold again. That way, every hunt where clad shows up is ultimately a good one.

So ultimately, I'll have even more treasure that I can't bear to sell. But it's good to know that in a pinch I can always unload a little gold or silver. If not, when I'm dead and gone my kids can decide what to do with Dad's treasures.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
unless I have a kind of attachment to a find,I sell it.I have taken detecting trips and paid for all my equipment several times over.I LOVE treasure hunting but for me treasure = currency.I think we all hunt for our own personal reasons and I still get a kick out of even a merc.but what reall floats my boat is gold and even silver jewelery.easy sell.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEEN DETECTING FOR OVER 40 YRS - STARTED AT AGE 12
IVE ONLY A FEW COINS FROM MY FIRST 20 YRS - I WISH I HAD ALL THE KEEPERS I EVER FOUND NOW
= I KNOW A LOT OF GUYS THAT REGRET SELLING STUFF FOUND - BUT LIKE ME - THEY PROB NEEDED THE MONEY
IF YOU ARE GOING TO SELL - TAKE PICS OF YOUR GOOD STUFF - I WISH I HAD TAKEN PICS OF SOME OF MY EARLY GREAT FINDS
BUT ONLY STARTED AFTER GETTING DIGITAL.CAMERA IN LIKE 2000 AND EVEN THEN I SOLD ITEMS THAT I DID NOT TAKE PICS OF
AND REGRET VERY MUCH CAUSE A BUNCH OF ITEMS WERE ONE OF A KIND AND I'LL NEVER SEE AGAIN

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I's coin star for me... I cash in all my clad and sell my silver... I am looking at a jar with about $60 in clad that I will cash in tomorrow and take the wife to lunch

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, half of the fun is showing others my finds so I would never sell! I do coinstar my clad though

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread