MDn with hearing loss

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
MD'n with hearing loss

ok I have some hearing loss and I was wondering if it would affect my ability to use a detector. I specifically bought the ace 250 for the higher pitch tones, but for the more subtle tones that I might not hear can I do anything to help? I was thinking that if I watch the screen it will help some. I was also considering one of those headphone amp things on ebay.

mike

Upvote 0

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
Re: MD'n with hearing loss

Howdy there PAmike.

I also have a hearing loss of 50% in each ear and use hearing aids when MDing. And I use headphones to hunt with just fine .
They work much better then hunting without.and yes they do need a volume controle on them.
Crank your MD volume up max and controle with headphones.

HH
Red

J

Jim Cal

PAMIKE, I also have a pretty significant hearing loss and can't hear some tones at all but I use a detector that lets me alter the tone to a range that I can hear and I use headphones with separate volume controls. Both the Garrett GTI 1500 and White's DFX allow the user to set the tone, as well as some other detectors I'm sure, and I have no trouble hearing the signals. Good luck! Jim Cal

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

Sounds like a great chance for any of you Engineers/ Inventors out there to come up with a detector or a retrofit to available equipment with a light scale that corresponds to any given tone.Might take a lot of the guess work out if to dig or not.Just a thought.Knew i should have became an electrical engineer.

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms

Worked around towboat diesels....65% hearing loss......turn up hearing aids....turn up headphones...if i don`t hear it it ain`t there !!!!!!!!

Breville

Greenie
Jan 10, 2005

PAmike said:
ok I have some hearing loss and I was wondering if it would affect my ability to use a detector. I specifically bought the ace 250 for the higher pitch tones, but for the more subtle tones that I might not hear can I do anything to help? I was thinking that if I watch the screen it will help some. I was also considering one of those headphone amp things on ebay.

mike
Why not get a good visual ID machine, the pinpoint mode on many machines gives you the depth of the target in inches once you have visually identified the target.? ?then use a vibraprobe pinpointer for exzct location, they vibrate when you get about 1/2 " from the target. The whites vibrate too.

OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA

I got the ace 250 today and tried out the headphones that came with it (resembled walkman headphones) I could hear everything with no problem.

I am just about deaf to some certain toned but it seems that its not any of the ones on the detector.

mike

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

I met one gentleman that was completely deaf and still ran his detector. He adapted a 1/4 headphone jack and wired a small red lightbulb on it. When a signal sounded, the lightbulb lit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread