cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! You'll have to see who owns that pond. Sometimes it's the surrounding land owners, sometimes it's the city or county. Check the tax records for your area to see who the owner is. If it has a public beach, I would think there would be no problem, but, I'd look up the rules myself to to be sure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
... I live in a subdivision that has a pond is it legal for me to metal detect around?....

Who owns the pond ? Private HOA ? City ? County ? State? Fed? etc...... And even within the state and fed. category, there are sub-types of land. So can you be more specific ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may just be a site that nobody really cares about. Just hunt it in off hours an make the site look better than when you started. Anyone asked what you found, show them only trash. Most times asking just gets you a NO. Good luck.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Before you detect public areas, take some time to learn how to pop a coin or ring with a probe, and how to dig a proper plug after pinpointing your target. Make sure you have the proper hand digger, and be smart about the places and times you detect in public. Never trespass, always look for posted rules in public spaces, always detect at low-traffic times to avoid unwanted attention.

OP
OP
P

pattymi770

Greenie
Apr 15, 2016
mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you :) we live in BFE and some how someone thought it would be a cool idea to turn our 5 houses (with in 10+ acres apart into a subdivision) only people who can legally fish at this pond are the people who are in the subdivision.. Ive been down there fishing multiple times (get the dnr called everytime) the neighbors are nosey and ask to see my fishing license, and when I tell them I donthave one they call up the dnr. its usually the same dnr officer every time :) so he knows me pretty well by now. these fish are planted, there is no up-stream for the fish to come into this pond so technically I wont need a license. with having nosey neighbors this is why I ask. ive pulled up aerial maps from 1958 and it doesn't look like much would be around there anyways. :) but thank you all for your input!!!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard TNet! Good Luck with the pond issue and Happy Hunting!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you :) we live in BFE and some how someone thought it would be a cool idea to turn our 5 houses (with in 10+ acres apart into a subdivision) only people who can legally fish at this pond are the people who are in the subdivision.. Ive been down there fishing multiple times (get the dnr called everytime) the neighbors are nosey and ask to see my fishing license, and when I tell them I donthave one they call up the dnr. its usually the same dnr officer every time :) so he knows me pretty well by now. these fish are planted, there is no up-stream for the fish to come into this pond so technically I wont need a license. with having nosey neighbors this is why I ask. ive pulled up aerial maps from 1958 and it doesn't look like much would be around there anyways. :) but thank you all for your input!!!

There are people like this all over that want to play Policeman; I am a cop and I run into these sorts all the time, it is best to just let them speak their peace. They have no legal authority to ask you for your fishing license, anymore than you would to go asking them to see their building permits from when their house was constructed. If they want to keep calling the police that is there choice and they will do nothing other than make the Bigfoot Spotter list with the local LE.

But as for metal detecting, many here offered the perfect advice. Just do it, the best thing about MDing is that Headphones really help with ignoring people. When you get approached just remain friendly, if they ask to see what you have found you could show them your trash, you could also say no thank you to. Then just go back about your business with your MD and if they keep going, then just act like you are listening to something very important, because after all you are.

Now if they touch you, then you can of course warn them, naturally if they call the police then make sure you tell the police everything. These types are often so dumb that they incriminate them selves thinking they have fulfilled some self appointed patriotic duty as the village idiot.

Happy Hunting, and come back and tell us what all you have found.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...When you get approached just remain friendly, if they ask to see what you have found you could show them your trash...

Best advice!

When asked what I'm finding, I say BOTTLE CAPS and show them a handful of rusty caps & pulltabs I'd dug up. Also, very important to NOT leave gopher holes... (Always fill in after digging.)

I did ask the local law enforcement about metal detector use and was told "go for it". Was told to stay away from local streams (I guess he'd assumed I was digging for gold), as there are "endangered species" in the area, and that "if I find any native artifacts, then don't mess with 'em, leave 'em there". Told him I'm mostly looking for coins but I'd probably just find bottle caps... Not far from the truth. ^_^

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may just be a site that nobody really cares about. Just hunt it in off hours an make the site look better than when you started. Anyone asked what you found, show them only trash. Most times asking just gets you a NO. Good luck.

What he said. Always take some trash with you from a previous hunt to show just in case your first find is 18k ring with diamonds.:laughing7:
Marvin

OP
OP
P

pattymi770

Greenie
Apr 15, 2016
mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are great!! thank you so much for the advice!! I will make it down there this summer and let everyone know if theres anything good :)

sugarcreek

Mar 28, 2016
S.C. by way of Va,Co,Pa,Fl, etc and YOUR Realtor.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher F75LTD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learning to dig, and fill back in your holes so that you can not tell you were there is the way to go!
Once you zero in, determine depth, and if you can use your pin pointer, you know it is close!

The smallest hole necessary is the best hole. It might be a walnut sized "plug" popped with a screwdriver!

1950s houses and older are great targets. The Grand Old Houses probably have been hit before.
I am having success on 1900 to 1950 homes. Regular folks houses...

OP
OP
P

pattymi770

Greenie
Apr 15, 2016
mi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
another question if anyone can answer... I just talked with my city park manager and he said they only allow small handheld detectors.. has anyone else ran into this?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
another question if anyone can answer... I just talked with my city park manager and he said they only allow small handheld detectors.. has anyone else ran into this?

I hold my detector with my hand [emoji4]
Your good to go!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up the ordinance yourself and see how they define "small" and "handheld". Asking bureaucrats is asking for trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread