$1100 Budget for Detector

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd get a nice used Etrac with a couple of extra coils. The Etrac will sniff out the deeper silver and copper coins.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I use the Whites DFX. You can get one used from the Dealers for about $400. It will do everything you want it to do. It will find a dime at 10" and a quarter at 14" - 16". If there is silver there it will LOCK on to it. It comes with several Programs for true turn on and go use. You will never need another detector ever. It ID's the target in 4 ways so you know what the target is before you even dig it. It also blocks put pull tabs very well.
The First way it ID's the target is with VDI#s. They are large numbers that appear on the screen. Each type of target has it's own VDI# ok. The Second way is with Icons that appear beside the VDI# on the screen. The third way is with a Bar Graph at the bottom of the screen. The Bar Graph has Bars that appear on the screen. The more to the right the Bar is will show it's a coin or silver. Trash Bars appear to the middle or left of the screen ok. The fourth way is with the Tones. Trash will sound choppy or not consistent. Coins always give a nice loud steady sound ok. You can tell the targets Depth by squeezing and holding the small trigger under the handle. The Depth will appear on the screen ok.
I know this all sounds complicated but it really is not. This is a simple turn on and go detector that is very sensitive, accurate and deep. Me, I'll never get rid of my DFX. I find stuff all the other guys miss all the time ok. Good luck. PEACE:RONB
PS: Make sure you get a "GOOD" set of headphones ok. Do NOT settle for the junk ones they give you in the package. Look at the Grey Ghost or Killer Bees Headphones ok. They run about $125 but are WELL worth every penny ok. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with NM Dan etrac all the way , my silver coin count has doubled

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Make sure you look at Deus.

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
E-trac hands down. Has the best target ID ability and pulls deep silver out of the ground like nobody's business. If you had said you were more of a woods/relic hunter than I would have said Fisher F75 or maybe a Deus Lite. But for what you're looking for, it's gotta be the E-trac!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac X 4.

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...thanks a lot guys for the input.

I ended up going with a E trac, from a local dealer, he gave me a great price and a fair trade in price for my T2 that I bought from him a few years ago.

I haven't owned a Minelab since the 1990's?? I had a Sovereign and a Explorer back then.

I should have it by Monday at the latest.

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get Andy's book, that'll get you jump started in the right direction quickly.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, first time I've read about the E-trac, however, it list for way more than 1100 bucks. Me personally, I couldn't handle the nearly 5 pounds for very long. I would have suggested an F75, even though 3.5 pounds is too heavy for me. 3# or lighter for this old farx.
Marvin

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am liking the half as much Safari as well as both Etracs I've owned. The fact that you can go from conductive coin to ferrous all metal with one keystroke is very handy

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am 71 yrs old and just bought an E-Trac and the weight don't bother me. It's pretty well balanced and you can adjust the arm cuff to suit you... Basically if you're hunting anywhere there is coins, jewelry or relics you set it down every cpl minutes anyway.

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a whites Dfx and bought a Minelab E track in March.
Even though I am still learning how to use it, the E track is by far the best detector for where you want to detect. No if ands or buts about it.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toothick; Congrats on your new Etrac. Enjoy. I would have even gone to the point of working with you to answer ANY questions you would have had about the DFX ok. I love it myself. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Toothick; Congrats on your new Etrac. Enjoy. I would have even gone to the point of working with you to answer ANY questions you would have had about the DFX ok. I love it myself. PEACE:RONB

Thanks for your input.
I owned Minelabs in the past and that is why I felt more comfortable going that way.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting a etrac , U will enjoy it like me

OP
OP
Toothpick

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on getting a etrac , U will enjoy it like me

Thanks, Just picked it up this afternoon. I have been reading and watching vids about it all weekend. I have Andy's book ordered.

I also pounded a small area of a local school with my AT Pro and will be interesting to hit it with the e trac.

I know it will take a ton of time to become proficient, but I hope my familiarity with the Explorer helps.

Thanks again for all the opinions!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread