Mxt acting up.....time for an AT Pro?

Mailman22

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ten year old mxt is beginning to chatter and give false signals. I can still hunt with it but it is frustrating. It served me well. But I have been hearing about the AT Pro and thought it would serve me. I hunt mostly old fields, some woods and lots of backyards. I have the smaller 5.3 Eclipse coil also, so I am also considering the mxt pro or sport.
Is there any market for detectors that are acting up?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never heard of a market for faulty detectors. However, as the MXT is a very capable detector (I have one) I'd contact Whites to inquire about repair costs before I'd give up on it. Your description of the problem sounds much like a coil gone/going bad so also I'd try a known good coil to see if that cures the problem.
luvsdux

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
+1 on getting it fixed. If you live near Sweet Home, the cost is...um...very good.

If you end up selling it ebay, I am all over it.

OP
OP
M

Mailman22

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm gonna do just that. I think it's time I upgrade. I love Whites but maybe it's time I give Garrett a chance.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is my story...my hunting buddy swung an mxt for about 8 years.it served him well.BUT,two years ago he sold it and switched to an atpro.he is thrilled.his gold count is way up too.I never tried the mxt but must say I dont much miss hearing it especially in pp mode lol.He claims its the best thing he ever did in md'ing.The fellow who bought it was thrilled to get it...win win

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP is a great detector because it is simple, not really many bells and whistles. I am not sure if there is a better detector for the money but I never had any other detector in that price range.. Mine served me well and still does but upgraded to an E-TRAC and also have a V3i. Side by side the V3i is only better than the ATP because it gives you more info and the ability to to tweak it to what your hunting.. On the other hand the E-TRAC beats them both hands down even using factory presets.. I have more than doubled my finds with my E-TRAC and don't really know it yet

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ten year old mxt is beginning to chatter and give false signals. I can still hunt with it but it is frustrating. It served me well. But I have been hearing about the AT Pro and thought it would serve me. I hunt mostly old fields, some woods and lots of backyards. I have the smaller 5.3 Eclipse coil also, so I am also considering the mxt pro or sport.
Is there any market for detectors that are acting up?
Thanks!

Have you cleaned out the coil cover?

OP
OP
M

Mailman22

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. The 950 coil has no cover on it and the eclipse 5.3 was clean when I removed it. Also, when I swung it without cover it still was chatty.
One update however, when I was testing to try to figure out this "problem", I found an Indian head penny in my backyard garden! It still works but is frustrating still.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You ground balancing it?

My dad kills it with his mxt pro...

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll buy it for scrap price! Try an ATP if you like but I'd rather use an acting up mxt than a brand new ATP.

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember one thing, you never up grade from an MXT. You just switch machines.

OP
OP
M

Mailman22

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll buy it for scrap price! Try an ATP if you like but I'd rather use an acting up mxt than a brand new ATP.
Well then, what's scrap price? I have found plenty of great "treasures" with this mxt, but sending it to whites and paying the costs to fix it might be more than I want.
$80.00 flat labor rate plus parts for units that are not covered under warranty. Shipping cost is $19.95
100 bucks plus shipping it to them. Then the cost of parts if necessary. Who knows?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really know, maybe $100! Really haven't followed used prices on mxt's. I have too many machines now. If you aren't going to water detect over knee deep the MX-5 is a great machine. I personally liked it much more than the ATP, but you would have to try both for yourself.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread