Advice needed please....

bigchz

Jun 9, 2014
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 previously, now I own a Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in need of some advice. I live in prominent neighborhood of a bunch of 1800's houses that are still occupied. I'm in need of some talking points, and or knowledge how to ask a property owner to hunt their land. Any thoughts or ideas that work? Do you take them a flyer? Post an ad? I would love to hunt these properties, but lack what I need to say. This may be a silly question, but I think it brings up some valuable information for new hunters like myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Just a thought here, but have you tried getting to know any of your neighbors?? Maybe being friends with one or two would lead to referrals.

If you are on speaking terms with any of your neighbors, just explain that you're looking for places to try out your detector. ...Just don't lie to them!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Also, when preparing to "catch them on their front porch": Have some coins you found in your own front yard. Or the "house down the street". Eg.: a sample of the buffalo nickel, the skeleton key, the few clad coins, etc... that were in the other yard. So you're" just wondering if you could scan their yard too....."

For some reason, props seem to show the person an image of what it is you're asking to do.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And when you pay a visit do not dress in camo or like someone from Swamp People. Wear NICE clothes, which you can change out of to actually dig. I've been known to dig in Sunday dress up good stuff and dress shoes. Works most of the time.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, don't make the coins you show them TOO nice! Keep some dirt and grime on them.

However, I still stand by the belief that if someone is kind enough to allow you to detect on their property, that if you find something substantial, come back later and offer them a little something extra. Just don't make it a slap in the face. ...Don't reckon there's a guide on this other than one's own conscience.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a standing offer with landowners. Any small junk I keep. If I were to ever find a cache, (like when pigs fly), we split it onesies-twosies and nobody ever tells anybody else where it came from.

OP
OP
B

bigchz

Jun 9, 2014
Northern New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 previously, now I own a Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the advice! This has been extremely helpful! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread