A few questions - New to metal detecting

Mr.Ross24

Apr 14, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.) If your detecting on a beach , can the rocks , pebbles and other minerals throw of your single ?
2.) When I use my PP -pin point button is it telling me just the accurate spot or just the depth ?
3.) I have the Bounty Hunter Ranger Pro , which would be the best setting for beaches ? Compared to soil "ground "?
4.) when I dig a high signal , I dig the hole and check again with the detector to see if the signal is still strong . But sometimes it's gone , then I check the dirt and its there but can't find what it is . Then move the dirt away and I get another signal as if I didn't dig in the right spot . But I double checked ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet or dry? Fresh water or salt? Both make a big difference.

OP
OP
Mr.Ross24

Mr.Ross24

Apr 14, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet for beaches , dry for land . These questions were manly directed towards beach

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rocks and roots can alter the pin pointing of the main detector slightly, especially if you have the sensitivity set too high, which is what your #4 problem sounds like.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
your machine is single freq.never gonna be great at wet sand,its the way it is...sometimes an iron object corrodes away underground but the particles are enough to get a decent signal..when you dig it the particles are dispersed and signal is gone,its common....finally normal rocks and pebbles wont affect your machine,iron and other metals(some coal types)will produce signals.we call them hot rocks.high iron content in soil is a problem for many machines,particullary if you dont have manual ground balance feature.

hope it helps

OP
OP
Mr.Ross24

Mr.Ross24

Apr 14, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And in order to ground balance I put the machine coil to the ground and push ground grab ?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet for beaches , dry for land . These questions were manly directed towards beach

You misunderstood what I was asking. On a beach you have 3 zones. Dry sand, wet sand and water. Your detector will behave differently in each area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread