Wife had a close call yesterday. Yikes!

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the wife had a very close call the day before yesterday. The snake was laying parallel to a tree root and she was nearly on top of it before she saw it. I was on the phone with her when she saw it. She screamed and I took off to where she was at. Keep your eyes on the ground and be careful out there everyone. This evening could have ended in a very painful trip to the hospital for my wife.
https://youtu.be/bSiGxUYkTDc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank GOD it didnt bite her.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old man got bit by a copperhead a few years back. One of the things I remember him saying to me while I was standing beside his hospital bed was, "You don't want to get bit by one. It burns like fire in my veins."

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
---what to do with snakes

OP
OP
deerhuntinghippie

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old man got bit by a copperhead a few years back. One of the things I remember him saying to me while I was standing beside his hospital bed was, "You don't want to get bit by one. It burns like fire in my veins."

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
I hope I never get to say I know what it's like. And rattlesnakes I hear are even worse.

OP
OP
deerhuntinghippie

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a run in with one 12 years ago in Oklahoma. Wife was doing flowers in the front bed, and she came in telling me she saw a snake out there. I'd seen garter snakes in the yard before, but something about the situation was off. I felt like I needed some protection, so I went and grabbed some leather gloves. Half-way to the garden bed, I had a strong impression (Thanks, God!) that I should go back and put a second pair of leather gloves on my right hand. So, I did. Hard to get a second pair of stiff leather gloves on, but there it is... I was wearing two gloves on the right hand.

Right away, I saw the tail of the snake, didn't think anything of it, (it was small... maybe 20 inches) and reached for it... touched it briefly, and the snake slithered into the flowers. I just reached in and grabbed it and watched as the snake swung around, CLEARLY a copperhead, and struck my hand twice in rapid succession. Yeah, I dropped the snake. Looked at my hand and realized the double gloves protected my had completely. The small fangs couldn't get through distance-wise...

Went to the garage and grabbed a shovel, and ended the poor thing.

Only copperhead I've ever encountered in my life in the wild... hope to never meet one again.. SO glad my wife didn't get bit. And so glad for the impression that clearly saved me a world of hurt. Never have put double gloves on like that again... but you can bet if I ever felt the need to, I'd be doing it!

Skippy
Nice story Skippy. I try to always listen to my gut. Glad you and your wife weren't bitten.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a elderly neighbor come by for a visit and he was chuckling when he walked up. He had been mowing the lawn while his 70 + year old wife was weeding her flowers. He was on the far side of the house when he heard a shot. He came back around and his wife was still weeding. He asked her if she heard a shot and she pointed into the flower bed. There laid a copperhead with it's head split open. She was weeding, saw the snake right in front of her, pulled her Colt 25 Auto out of her apron, shot the snake, put her pistol away and went right back to weeding.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Snakes! I HATE Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?

Attachments

• Rattlesnake 020.jpg
    Rattlesnake 020.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 140
  • Rattlesnake 027.jpg
    Rattlesnake 027.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 142

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I JUST missed stepping on a fairly large copperhead (about 2 1/2-3 FT) this past Saturday. I was coming down a steep, rocky incline and thankfully I saw it lying in the sun before taking the very next step; which would have been right on top of that snake. Had I stepped on that one I could have been in a world of trouble and maybe even dead.

That's another good thing about the detecting hobby. After a while you naturally look at the ground most of the time. And you're right. We always need to be very aware of our surroundings while out in the woods or wherever.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup...rattlers are out in force already,Ive already seen 3.we are getting snake gaiters this season...too many close calls over the years.once I stepped right on the head of a small mojave green,didnt rattle till I was standing on it.my buddy cut his head off before I moved my foot,man did that sucker blend in with the rocks!!glad your wife is ok

OP
OP
deerhuntinghippie

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup...rattlers are out in force already,Ive already seen 3.we are getting snake gaiters this season...too many close calls over the years.once I stepped right on the head of a small mojave green,didnt rattle till I was standing on it.my buddy cut his head off before I moved my foot,man did that sucker blend in with the rocks!!glad your wife is ok
Thanks man!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took a few seconds to see it!!! Good to hear you let it slither away!!! HH And watch you Steps Chug and Red

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad to hear your wife is ok! Thanks for the heads up!
It's always a good reminder to watch out for what can't be seen in broad daylight.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When one of my boys was about 4 or 5, he was outside playing and yelled, "Daddy, I got a snake". I walked out and he had his foot right on neck of a small Copperhead (thank God). I told him don't move, don't breathe, don't do anything until I get back. I ran and grabbed a shovel and told him to jump straight back when I counted to three which he did. I cut that snakes head right off with that shovel.

My kids had seen me handle a few snakes and thankfully he remembered how to control one. It could have ended very differently.

I hate to kill anything I don't intend to eat but venomous snakes where young kids play are always an exception. We don't want any tragedies; ever. They are amazing creatures but sometimes you gotta' do what you gotta' do.

They can be just about invisible; especially in high grass or weeds and of course, they're silent. At least with rattlers you MIGHT get a warning but there's no guarantees there either. We don't have rattlers where I live. There are timber rattlers in Western MD but I've never encountered one.

There are lots of those nasty greenish/brown water snakes in my area and a bite from one of them can actually be pretty horrible. I've seen them in some of the most horrendously filthy water and they seem to thrive in it.

They're not venomous but they can have incredible amounts of bacteria in their mouths and you can get some really horrible infections from a bite. They're very aggressive as well. I've had them eat fish I've caught right off the stringer and when you chase them away they keep coming back for more. They're really nasty critters and can also grow quite large.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a run in with one 12 years ago in Oklahoma. Wife was doing flowers in the front bed, and she came in telling me she saw a snake out there. I'd seen garter snakes in the yard before, but something about the situation was off. I felt like I needed some protection, so I went and grabbed some leather gloves. Half-way to the garden bed, I had a strong impression (Thanks, God!) that I should go back and put a second pair of leather gloves on my right hand. So, I did. Hard to get a second pair of stiff leather gloves on, but there it is... I was wearing two gloves on the right hand.

Right away, I saw the tail of the snake, didn't think anything of it, (it was small... maybe 20 inches) and reached for it... touched it briefly, and the snake slithered into the flowers. I just reached in and grabbed it and watched as the snake swung around, CLEARLY a copperhead, and struck my hand twice in rapid succession. Yeah, I dropped the snake. Looked at my hand and realized the double gloves protected my had completely. The small fangs couldn't get through distance-wise...

Went to the garage and grabbed a shovel, and ended the poor thing.

Only copperhead I've ever encountered in my life in the wild... hope to never meet one again.. SO glad my wife didn't get bit. And so glad for the impression that clearly saved me a world of hurt. Never have put double gloves on like that again... but you can bet if I ever felt the need to, I'd be doing it!

Skippy

I would've grabbed a hoe or shovel first. Screw gloves. Check to see what it is and if poisonous, off with his head!

OP
OP
deerhuntinghippie

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would've grabbed a hoe or shovel first. Screw gloves. Check to see what it is and if poisonous, off with his head!
We let slither off.

mhardy73

Mar 27, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Ace 250
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett Pro Pointer II
Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa, just watched the video. Never a good thing to have one catch you by surprise, glad everyone is ok.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; My biggest fear in the World is SNAKES. I came home yesterday and my kid told me she had a surprise. I was dumb struck fearing the worst. She works in Pet Smart. I kept thinking she's got a snake. NOPE., It is a B+W Gieco. His name is Chewy after Chewbaka in Star Wars. I was relieved. I told her in no uncertain terms that snakes are BANNED from my house. That if she ever brought one home I would kill it and throw in the trash then have a Priest here in less than an hour to reconsecrate this house and everyone in it. She knew I meant it. I "DID". If you read Genesis the snake "appeared" to Eve and tempted her. After God found out He cursed the snake and permanently BANNED snakes from Heaven. To me snakes are "Vaingt". Ancient Celtic word meaning "Cursed by God." They are the only creature DIRECTLY banned from Heaven by God. I hate them with a passion. I will go "BEZERK" in .2 seconds. I mean it. I'll kill it, throw it in the trash and get the Priest. Snakes are the most Evil, Vile creatures on Earth. I believe the only reason God allows them to exist is to remind us humans just how real Satan is. They serve no other purpose I can see and I don't care if they do serve a purpose. I'll kill it. What say you guys. PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread