Portland, ME Parks - Anyone know if you can detect them?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Deering Oaks Park is where a few of my firsts came from back in the late 70's. A guy by the last name of Hallock sold detectors across the street at a cash register company. He had found thousands of coins there and I got my share. I went back in the mid 80's, and the electrical interference was so bad that it was not possible to detect. I tried several machines with no luck. I don't know the source, but others I talked with said they couldn't use their units there also. I don't know if this has changed.

There are a number of parks in and around Portland, So, Portland, but I don't know what the current rules are. I know that a few police officers in the Southern Maine area were also into detecting and I have never had problems from them, other than stopping to see what I was finding. Many of the parks have signs to tell you what you can't do or bring into the parks, so make sure you check that out.

Good Luck! The beaches are not all that far away either, and the tourists are flocking in.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just go. If there were any rules, someone is welcome to tell you. Barring of course if it were an obvious historic landmark, or posted, etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread