Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Advice on 2box detectors

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6055 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by marticus View Post
    ...do you know if it will diffenciate from the different types of metal. Or does it just read all metals as the same
    ..... I was looking at the garrett as i thought it might tell me different metal types. Saves me diggin a big bit of junk iron. Over a brass pot or something
    There is no detector that can differentiate metal types. Whether it be standard coil or 2-box. This is a common misconcetpion ever since TID was introduced in the early 1980s on standard machines. All they do is measure conductivity. Not "type of metal". And too many things share conductivity levels. Aluminum and alloyed gold, for instance. Also size plays into it, unfortunately.

So the short answer is: No, 2-box units do not provide (nor will any machine provide) the ability to "differentiate metals"
    GA_Boy likes this.

au
    Marty

Sep 2013
    Sydney
    CTX 3030 GPX 5000 Garrett Infinium LS AT Pro AT Gold 45 inch mono Drag Coil
    607 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Oh yea i get that. I run a ctx most days. I should have made it more clearer. Ferrours / non ferrours i ment. My hearts not set on one yet. Have watched most of the utube videos on them. But still.want more info. I know i wont use it all the time. But im thinking the depth that they are ment to go might be handy. Although i did watch a guy bury a mailbox at 2m. And the gti2500 couldnt pick it up

au
    Marty

Sep 2013
    Sydney
    607 times
    These are the remains of an old wreck with cannons..now around 15-20ft butried under sand. my aim is that maybe a 2box might be able to pick up the old remains and find the wreck again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ie
    Sep 2010
    France
    ACE 250,
    279 times
    How about trying metal probes? Make one out a length of rebar. Sometimes the old ways work best. gl hh
    The body wants to go back in time, the heart lives for today and the mind thinks about the future.

us
    Nov 2011
    253 times
    Salt water is probably going to reduce detecting depth on a VLF machine. They say pulse machines go deeper in salt water. I'd try to build a big coil for your Minelab.
    Ouija Board and map dowsing , one and the same. Just tape a map onto the Ouija Board and you have map dowsing.
    Works great if you like wild goose chases and snipe hunts!

May you never take one single breath for granted.

us
    Nov 2011
    253 times
    Those pulse coils are pretty simple.
    Ouija Board and map dowsing , one and the same. Just tape a map onto the Ouija Board and you have map dowsing.

us
    Nov 2011
    253 times
    You might get some info at a place carboncoils dot com

I was really thinking more along the lines of the universal coil for the Pulse Star II. It's basically just a loop of wire, actually two wires--transmit and receive.
    Last edited by signal_line; Apr 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM.

au
    Marty

Sep 2013
    Sydney
    607 times
    Thanks for that ill check them out. My 42inch mono is like that. 2 cables in the same line. It works well. I just thought the 2box design might have better depth over that one. I can always get a larger coil however

us
    Nov 2011
    253 times
    My experience with two box: Bought a used one, sent it to factory for tune up, they said it was good as new. Had a post hole digger with a heavy head on it, dug about three foot down, could not detect the digger head no matter how I set the controls. Yeah, it was somewhat mineralized ground, sure not extreme.

With 18 inch coil, pulse will detect railroad spike, or 100 copper pennys, or pop can, each buried three feet. So i could go real negative here on the two box and say an engine block maybe six feet, but i think you get the point. Somebody knows how to build you a big coil. I don't know the exacts, but it has to be the same Henry's and resistance as what you have, that's about all there is to it. You get something like the universal coil for the Pulse Star and it is two meters square. You'll have to build a frame out of wood or PVC pipe. No question about depth.

au
    Marty

Sep 2013
    Sydney
    607 times
    Thats a good point. The video i watched on a giy burying mailboxes at 2m and not picking it up was a bit of an eye opener. Think i might just have to look into a bigger pulse coil. Id love a pulse start or deepmax but there pretty costly

us
    Nov 2011
    253 times
    Yeah, a lot cheaper to get a coil built. What i am talking about looks like a piece of extension cord. You build a frame and tie it onto it. Somebody knows how to build one. You just have to measure the inductance and resistance of the coil you have. Probably uses litz wire. So instead of many wraps of wire, a big coil has fewer wraps, pretty much the same length of wire as the smaller diameter coil. These pulse are very simple coils.

us
    Feb 2016
    IOWA
    Garrett GTI 2500 Garrett Infinium and Whites Eagle II S (yes its older than some of the young'uns here)
    25 times
    you can find out the nuts and bolts of building coils, detectors, help and advice on all of it at geotech dot com. Lots of interesting projects and articles.

us
    Dennis

Dec 2014
    MA
    Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
    317 times
    Hi everyone. Im wanting advice on 2box detectors. Im considering getting the garrett treasure hound but open to suggestions. Pros and cons. How do they perform? What depth range do they have. Any information is good information. Thanks in advance everyone
    I sell both of them, I have used the Whites TM808, It seems the treasure hound is more popular but I have never used it.
    a lot of digging, so I would make sure your in a good area because you can pull up anything.
    dennis
    Dennis Gareau
    Managing Director
    MetalDetectors.com
    dgareau@metaldetectors.com
    866-749-9506

us
    Alex

May 2014
    -o-
    7 times
    I'm trying to recover a strong box filled with 8 gold bars, a significant hunk of perhaps more than 100 lbs. of metal. I believe it's only 3 feet under the surface of unconsolidated gravel and dirt.

Does any one have a suggestion. I'm thinking a 2 box might be an over kill.. or the perfect piece of equipment?

Mar 2014
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and ME2. Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
    298 times
    Have you considered the Garrett ATX with a 20" coil. It is a ground balancing PI machine that is waterproof has a decent level of discrimination for a PI and with the 20" coil will go down very far on large and small objects. On an aluminum can it will go down 4 feet and on larger objects much deeper!
    Sandman likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links