Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Advice on 2box detectors

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Alex

May 2014
    -o-
    7 times
    just started my search.. I'm a geologist, so I know my way around rocks but never used a detector.
    the area is shale, with high amounts of hydrolyzed ferrous stained rock.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6937 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthFLdigger View Post
    Have you considered the Garrett ATX with a 20" coil. It is a ground balancing PI machine that is waterproof has a decent level of discrimination for a PI and with the 20" coil will go down very far on large and small objects. On an aluminum can it will go down 4 feet and on larger objects much deeper!

The trouble with this, is that such an arrangement will also likewise get small objects. Eg.: that's still sensitive enough to pick up individual coins, for instance. So for a person who is looking only for a large object, they will be forever bedevilled by trying to mentally sort out big versus little.

Whereas a 2-box will simply not see anything smaller than grapefruit or soda-can sized object. Hence making them the perfect discriminator for pesky small objects.

I made the mistake of going with a standard machine, using a big coil. And I was using the same rationale you are: That the standard machine with a 20" coil, can actually (admittedly) go super deep on can and toaster sized items. As deep as a 2-box for that matter. Hence, on the surface, it seems you have the "best of both worlds" right ? But we found ourselves forever-and-a-day digging junk around the ruins we were searching. And even when we began to try to mentally ignore any "small" items, it was a perpetual chore of trying to guess big vs. little. Because go figure: A big object that is deep, might mimic a small object that is shallow (as anyone who's dug a soda can a foot deep knows, it gives a quarter at 2" deep TID, and so forth).
    Tr.Hnt3r and 4x4x4 like this.

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3944 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Have you considered the Garrett ATX with a 20" coil. It is a ground balancing PI machine that is waterproof has a decent level of discrimination for a PI and with the 20" coil will go down very far on large and small objects. On an aluminum can it will go down 4 feet and on larger objects much deeper!
    This is the way to go.
    SouthFLdigger and 4x4x4 like this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Mar 2014
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2. Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
    315 times
    Walking the coil and listening closely once you know the machine will tell you if the object is large or not. I could esily do this with all my units. Once you know the PI machine you own find an object youll learn to size it, if you dig down two feet and you find nothing and walking the coil still shows a large object, then youll know you have something massive below.
    Last edited by SouthFLdigger; Jun 16, 2016 at 01:40 PM.
    4x4x4 likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6937 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Walking the coil and listening closely once you know the machine will tell you if the object is large or not. ....
    Yes. Sure. If the objects are spaced apart. Then yes a guy can deduce large vs small, deep vs. shallow, etc.... Just based on sound. But if you're in a relicky-ruins/ghost-townsy environment (where the surface is a continuous blanket of targets), then you're screwed. Because , for example, a bunch of pulltabs, foil wads, nails, and zincs, all crowded together 1/20" apart, can mimic a big target. Since they are a seamless continuous "target", so-to-speak.

And this is the reason yesteryear machines like the old BFO's, and all-metal TR's (94b, 77b, 66TR, etc...) actually found more caches than are being found today (on a per capita basis of hobbyists out there detecting). Because BY THEIR VERY NATURE they were insensitive to small objects. Lacked ability in minerals, etc... So for example, a BFO might have only attained 3" on a coin-sized object. Yet did PERFECTLY WELL on a soda can or hubcap. Doh!

So you see: "More sensitivity" is actually counter-productive to cache hunting. At least when that added sensitivity starts to meld itself to ability to find little things. If they're all strung together in junk-yard fashion, you will spend all day and night beating your brains, and "digging a bunch just to be sure". Whereas a 2-box simply doesn't see anything smaller than a soda can.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6937 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Actually, a 2-box can be super-finely dialed in to find objects as small as a domino or silver dollar. But in my experience using them (when I ONLY pulled it out for purposes of finding large items), I PURPOSEFULLY held it high enough that I WOULDN'T have the ability to find anything smaller than a soda can.

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2017
    Utah
    TM 808, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett GTI 2500
    11 times
    Really enjoyed Toms comments on the Two box issues, he's dead on. I've used the TM808 and have never had any issues with it. I found a plow at 5' a stove 6' or so, (which I thought was a safe ) and a piece of iron 1'x1'x1' at about 4'. I carried the MD just like Tom did.

When you get a hit on a large target with the TM808 buried at that depth the machine is buzing/humming for about 5' in every direction. It's pretty exciting. Anyway, hope you found something.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

Sep 2017
    Seeking Fisher Gemini III 2-Box please suggest.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2017
    Southern California, outside of San Diego
    1187 times
    ....On a different note.... Ground penetrating radar units can be had ,used in old school to new , hi-tech compact stuff.
    Yes , quite expensive but if the potential return is grand....... Have a look !
    "GIVE ME ANALOG , OR GIVE ME DEATH"

... Walks on flaming Pop tarts ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links