Inner Town Hatred?

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a beautiful day today and my wife has to work late. So, I called one of my permissions and asked if I could hunt after work. They said yes, but asked me about one of my finds and said that they may want it. Well, I certainly don't mind giving a land owner something that I find, but here are a list of problems:
1 - I found the item over 2 months ago.
2 - I didn't find the item on their property, just in the same town.
3 - I don't post my finds anywhere but here.
4 - I don't personally know any other MDer in my town except my hunting partner (who I don't suspect in the least)

So, that begs the question, how did the land owner know about this item? I asked them just that and they replied "well, you know how word gets around". But, there is just no place it could have come from but here. My guess is that someone saw me hunting on that property and saw me post on here and told them that whoever detects on your land found this item and kept it. I have a hunch as to who it might be.

Anyway, in conclusion, I guess I will have to start being more vague about where my finds come from. I'm taking the item to the land owner to show them today and telling them exactly where I found it. If they still feel that it is theirs I will give it to them, but that's not the point of this rant. I never realized that I had to watch my back just doing some metal detecting as a hobby. I don't bother anyone and never expected to have this kind of problem.

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If it wasn't found on their property, why would you give it to them?

If they want cool stuff that was found on their property, let them go buy a detector and sign up on TN.

I'd probably find someplace else to hunt. It sounds like a greed thing is happening with the person you are talking about. If so- you will always have a problem with them.

Just not worth it...

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a need to be vague in this thread? If you already posted about it here why not let us know what the item is?

But I agree that if you did not find it on the land owner's property he has no claim to it.

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
If it wasn't found on their property, why would you give it to them?

If they want cool stuff that was found on their property, let them go buy a detector and sign up on TN.

I'd probably find someplace else to hunt. It sounds like a greed thing is happening with the person you are talking about. If so- you will always have a problem with them.

Just not worth it...

Because if the owner thinks it is theirs, then only perception matters to me at that point. I will give it to them to keep them happy because they are good people and their property is fun to hunt. I don't have a problem with the land owner.

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a need to be vague in this thread? If you already posted about it here why not let us know what the item is?

But I agree that if you did not find it on the land owner's property he has no claim to it.

I'm vague because the person may have said things like this about multiple items I've posted to multiple people. I don't want them to know which item or person if that is the case.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You find WAY too much good stuff. Nobody likes the guy that "out finds" them on a regular basis. Capped half dime, '03 real, a bunch of halves... you are getting what you deserve!

If you lived near my town, I would rat you out too!

CC, People are strange, jealousy and greed make them do odd things. Be extra vague moving forward... except when I ask you where to hunt, then you need to be very specific!

Best of luck to you brother.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted items on Tnet and they show up when I do a google search for specific items. I once posted a nice find in the Thrift Store forum. Did some research on the item in google and up it popped. I do not post things that I plan on selling anymore.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, that begs the question, how did the land owner know about this item? I asked them just that and they replied "well, you know how word gets around". But, there is just no place it could have come from but here. My guess is that . I have a hunch as to who it might be.
Dirty move. Madison, MS is a small place. Since you stated "that someone saw me hunting on that property and saw me post on here and told them that whoever detects on your land found this item and kept it," this implies it was a local. The list of suspects should be pretty small. Could be the landowner himself, it is a public forum after all.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It never fails when you start finding stuff people get soft in the head. I post zincs any more if I post a find at all. I dont hunt private property as it has cost me friends. I dont hunt with friends anymore as I was uninvited when they started finding stuff. I have one good friend, do I need more? Sorry to hear your troubles. I think we all can relate. I needed a good rant today. As was posted you are good, dont sweat the small stuff. Put it on ebay or craigslist and inflate the price a thousand times, now that will make you fell better.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to read about your situation. Do what you feel is right. You need to be true to you.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Captain - Just wanted to let you know, it wasn't me! Tough to give up a good permission.

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wouldnt give up anything if it werent on their property.and if they are such great people they wouldnt be looking to get something you found after giving you permission,something to think about.

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the replies. The land owners are an old couple. I brought the item with me and showed it to them and explained where I found it. The item is monogrammed and when the woman saw that, she said she didn't know who the initials could be. So, it all worked out. I'm still upset that I was put in this situation to begin with though!

The hunt turned out good. I'm going to post about it in Today's Finds.... vaguely....

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry to hear that happened but I'd more than likely do just as you're doing. Keep the owner happy or they will turn against all people that metal detect.

I rarely post pics of my finds and if I find something I feel is good I never admit it to anyone. I sold a nice pendent I found for $350 and said I found it metal detecting in a small town park about 50 miles from me and I had actually hunted that park so they couldn't say I didn't find it there... I have returned items I have found such as a class ring with initials in it..

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't sweat the small stuff. The Karma you get more than offsets it. Besides, when you get as old as some of us here, you'll understand that it was all just "stuff" and really never mattered anyway. Besides, you can't take it with you...

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captain, that is one more reason why I don't post any finds on here. I may be missing some bragging rights but the finds are no more no less than hundreds of other posts on here.
I personally wouldn't return anything to anyone UNLESS prior agreements dictated that. Sounds like your permission is Greedy and I would find another permission.
Marvin

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. The land owners are an old couple. I brought the brush with me and showed it to them and explained where I found it. The brush is monogrammed and when the woman saw that, she said she didn't know who the initials could be. So, it all worked out. I'm still upset that I was put in this situation to begin with though!

The hunt turned out good. I'm going to post about it in Today's Finds.... vaguely....
From now on, show them all your finds BEFORE you leave their property. That should satisfy them.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
From now on, show them all your finds BEFORE you leave their property. That should satisfy them.

So do you let them frisk you to make sure there is nothing in the 'other' pocket?

Could they use your own detector against you?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for all the replies. The land owners are an old couple. I brought the item with me and showed it to them and explained where I found it. The item is monogrammed and when the woman saw that, she said she didn't know who the initials could be. So, it all worked out. I'm still upset that I was put in this situation to begin with though!

Its weird someone told them about the item and that they actually called you. At least they knew it wasn't theirs though and admitted so. Still weird. Glad I hunt the beach. I only have to deal with uncle sam if I find something lost treasure:laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So do you let them frisk you to make sure there is nothing in the 'other' pocket?

Could they use your own detector against you?
If it's a good site, I'd be willing to turn out my pockets. It if isn't, I'll go somewhere else and avoid the hassle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread