ALL the beeps sound the same

wwva

Greenie
Jun 12, 2007
Collierville, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Am I missing something?

I've been out twice now with my Tesoro Vaquero and I've dug up a beer can, a rusty nail, numerous pull tabs, a nickle, 6 pennies, a wheat penny and a pencil.

I can fiddle with the Discriminate knob over hits until the beeps quit but I'm afraid that I might miss something good by doing that. Also, can't tell how deep something is gonna be either.

Thanks, Joe

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Prop the thing up somewhere, on a clean stretch, away from anything metal, and do air tests of a variety of objects: all the USA coins, pulltabs, rusty bottle caps, nails, screwcaps, square tabs, gold rings, silver rings, various size foil wads, aluminum can shard, full aluminum can, etc.... In each case you can wave the item, then increase the disc. control a bit, and wave again. Repeat untill you can tell the disc. control is starting to knock it out. That would tell you where on the dial, in the field, you might expect to be disc'ing out those items, and what other items you would still be accepting at that setting.

Some items, like an entire aluminum can, silver dollar, etc... might not be disc'd out no matter how high the control goes, since those items are at the highest point of the TID scale.

And yes, as you knock out certain junk items (round and square tabs for instance) you will also loose various gold rings, nickels, etc.... Certain recurring TIDs, like nickel for instance, could be notched back in (if you had that option on your machine), but other items, like gold rings, there is no one "notch" for gold, since rings come in a myriad of sizes and shapes.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
It take a while to learn what the sounds are telling you. A beer can, is going to be loud and you can lift the coil and still hear it loud several inches over the ground. Big iron is going to sound good too, but with practice you can start to "hear" when it's iron. It will sound good one way, then broken if you swing the coil over it another way. If you have your DISC set way down in iron, everything is going to sound good except really small iron. You have to practice and learn how much you care to dig and set your DISC at a happy medium. When looking in semi-clean areas, I set the disc around the O in foil. If I am just cherry picking coins, I set it to just where tabs start to crack up. It takes practice is all.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
The beeps will emit a different "attitude" over different targets. If you go over a coin or good target the sound will be smooth like waw-waw. If it is trash it'll be kinda scratchy sounding or not repeat in exactly the same spot. You'll learn with practice that it really does talk to you!!!! Most shallow stuff will blow your ears off no matter what it is and I can't always tell what it is. Good luck keep diggin'
Greg\
ps any questions lmk

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I have a Vaquero. Pull tabs are my biggest problem, to me they sound just like gold rings and other good stuff. Foil and shredded alum. cans give a shorter beep, a beep with chopped ends, same for steel and steel bottle caps. I am finally learning those subtle differences that foil, shredded cans and steel make. As far as pull tabs go, I'll have to keep diggin em. Gold rings discriminate out where pull tabs do, and silver rings and chains discriminate out where zink pennies do. So you have to dig every thing because they all discriminate out pretty much in the same spots on the dial. Yesterday, I thought I detected another penny. I dug it (I usually walk away) and it was a heavy silver chain. That made me realize, you have to dig every thing. Same thing with my other 2 detectors. When you see a bottle cap laying on the ground, run your coil over it, you'll hear a beep with chopped ends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread