Hit it hard , but time to move on to some new scenery......................

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning all,

End of last year, I decided to take up metal detecting as a hobby, and have really enjoyed it. I was lucky enough to get permission to hunt an old homestead from the late 1800's. It's been quite an adventure, and I call it my classroom to learn my detector. I can go there whenever I want to, and it's somewhere around 5 acre's in total. I've got roughly 100 to 120 hrs. into it, and it's no where near hunted out. It's one of those places that you can't take 2 steps without getting a signal.

When I first got permission, I was really excited to think that, boy I'm going to find some old coins, jewelry, and relics on this property. I've been humbled! But it's my own fault. Some of you guy's talk about doing the grid technique, and I can certainly understand why. I've gone over area's that I had recently gone over from different directions, and found things that I had missed before, so I've learned that that's pretty darn important to stop thinking that I can cover the whole area in a day and find every treasure in the ground:laughing7:. Although I've found some relics of the time, which I enjoy as much as finding coins, jewelry etc., I'm really surprised that I have not found more coins. The total on the coins, is about a dollar of clad, and one lonely 1920 wheat. But the wheat was found where the old driveway is, which is covered by grass now, and the coin was 6 to 8 inches deep in some of the hardest packed roadmix that you can imagine. From older satellite images, I can see where the graveled area's for the farm was, and it is probably a quarter the area of the property, so my thinking is, it's just going to take a lot of work to get to the good stuff. It's got to be there. And I know where the original house stood that burned down in the '70s, and I know where the hole is that they dug, and bulldozed it into the hole. So, just going to take time.

But for now, I'm going to give it a rest, and move back into town where I live. I have found 14 coins in my yard. 4 IHC's 1891,1903,1905,1906. 8 Wheat's '12,'19,'20,'20,'25,'30, '41,'51,'58. 1 Winged Liberty '38. 1 Rosie '46. Also have found a couple of store tokens from surrounding towns, so I know the history is there.

Hopefully, if it ever stops raining, I'll be hitting my GF's dad's property next. He said, "Oh, somebody has already done that once. He was here for almost 4 hrs., and he didn't find anything":laughing7: You know what I'm thinking:laughing7::hello2: Good place to practice gridding.....

Well anyway, here's the pictures of what I found at the farm. Some cool stuff. But I will be back, many, many, many time's in the future. Just a matter of time before I figure it out.

Thanks for looking, and maybe this will help some of my fellow newbie's out there. "Don't give up, just figure it out"

GL & HH

Attachments

• DSCF0835.JPG
    DSCF0835.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
  • DSCF0842.JPG
    DSCF0842.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
  • DSCF0845.JPG
    DSCF0845.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
  • DSCF0846.JPG
    DSCF0846.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well gridding pays off... I don't normally grid but I did this morning and found $2.45 in clad in an area I had went through on one pass so it can really pay off.. Will I always do it most likely not but when I get the feeling I have hunted the area out I will grid...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoy field hunting as more of a change of pace. I do most of my hunting in the older parts of town on private permissions. Looks like you have been hitting that field hard. In my permission field, I only pulled a 1964 penny. In 1965 a tornado came through and leveled this little community. Sometimes I seek out a park or some other public properties in other counties. Nothing like a big clad haul a few times a year. Sometimes I hunt in the woods for a change of scenery and have hunted a local beach with my 1280X. Heck you should hunt like the B.O.B's (B@sta@rds of the Br@mble). I was bloodied when I hunted with them. They killed one site, pulled 13 coppers.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how you kept everything from that place. Quite a collection with lots of interesting relics.

That's just the thing about old farms, they're hit or miss with the coins. People just didn't really have any reason to carry money while working on the farm, so usually they didn't.

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I love how you kept everything from that place. Quite a collection with lots of interesting relics.

That's just the thing about old farms, they're hit or miss with the coins. People just didn't really have any reason to carry money while working on the farm, so usually they didn't.

Owner's told me they didn't have much money. I was just hoping Grandpa was hiding a lil' stash in a wall somewhere:laughing7:

OP
OP
digger460

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy field hunting as more of a change of pace. I do most of my hunting in the older parts of town on private permissions. Looks like you have been hitting that field hard. In my permission field, I only pulled a 1964 penny. In 1965 a tornado came through and leveled this little community. Sometimes I seek out a park or some other public properties in other counties. Nothing like a big clad haul a few times a year. Sometimes I hunt in the woods for a change of scenery and have hunted a local beach with my 1280X. Heck you should hunt like the B.O.B's (B@sta@rds of the Br@mble). I was bloodied when I hunted with them. They killed one site, pulled 13 coppers.

Seen alot of your post's. Looks like you do pretty good in the neighborhoods. Hopefully I can pull some goodies.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread