cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im hoping you guys can help out. I have an old iron furnace near me and I want to do some metal detecting around there, but my metal detector (AT Pro) goes crazy every time I get in the area. Is it the iron in the ground? Is there a trick? Special settings? Am I a dufus? Maybe special equipment?
Im just looking for tips, trick, bits of info and and ideas or thoughts you guys and gals may have. Thank you!

Upvote 0

rubicon2013

Jun 20, 2013
I have and at pro it hates iron some rusty iron it'll trick into higher numbers. I would suggest to run full iron disc. With iron audio off and go very slow. You will dig a ton of junk but dig every signal. Never know what you might find.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably lots of slag and iron ore in the ground. It may be an unhuntable area. If someone in your area has an XP Deus, Minelab E-trac, or CTX machine, see if you can borrow it for this place. They seem to do the best in nasty iron conditions.

OP
OP
cuzimloony

cuzimloony

Apr 9, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Series
Minelab Gold Monster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the advice. For sure there was lots of slag and ore in the ground. The ore was meteor-like in appearance and set the detector off when I passed the rock under the coil by hand. I was hoping there'd be a way around it.
As far as running full iron disc, thats exactly what i did and it was still cracklin' everywhere. Looks like this just might be 'one of those areas'.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
some coal will sound off too.sounds like a sifter may be the answer.

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember starting a thread similar to this years ago and I know I got some responses. In my case though there had been so much earth moved around from strip mining that it ended up not being worth looking. You may want to try a search for this sort of thing on the forum though because I have seen a lot of threads related to iron furnace detecting. Even scroll to the bottom of this page and look at the "similar threads" list. I'm seeing a few there that might be of interest.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a real hard spot to work. If you want I could come out and see if the DFX with a small coil will get somewhere. I have 2 DFXs so let me know and maybe we could give it a try.
Is this a historic site? Most furnaces in the area (Warwick , Hopewell etc) are probably off limits just like the National Park. Or is it private property you have permission to hunt?
PM me if interested and I will send you my Cell so we can chat.
I am located in Delco

The DFX is a multi frequency and has an option call Correlated. Iron puts out a wide range of VIDs and in correlated mode the signal has to match in both 3Khz and 15Khz mode for it to register so it is helpful in iron infested areas.. Still can't see targets under iron but it is helpful.
Let me know

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd start by running a strong magnet over the area I wanted to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread