COAL MINE TOWN

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I located the entrance from an Ohio coal mine long since sealed and abandoned. Within a thousand feet were about a dozen company houses, none currently standing.

On Tuesday I found an 1867 2 center, and a square turn of the century compact.

Yesterday I found an 1860 indian head penny and a large cent (completely slick) with a square nail hole in it.

Today was a cow bell, old ring and an 1849? large cent! Everything is in olive oil right now but here are a couple pics until they get cleaned up a bit.

The last 3 days have been amazing and I know it cannot continue so I am enjoying it as it is happening.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• compact.jpg
    compact.jpg
    1,008 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research and nice finds! I'm sure you'll find more great treasures! Congratulations!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds! Just be careful if going inside abandon mines. Coal mines are notorious for bad air. Have a partner stay outside in case of trouble.

OP
OP
T

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds! Just be careful if going inside abandon mines. Coal mines are notorious for bad air. Have a partner stay outside in case of trouble.

Staying out of the mine. About 20 years ago the State cemented the opening shut. Neighbors tell me untold truckloads of cement went into that hole.

The advice is well heeded though. All of NE Ohio has subterranean coal mines and shafts that run for miles underground. Here in Trumbull County before one builds one checks with a professor at Youngstown State University who has a passion for mapping the mines. Occasionally a hole will open up in the ground where the soil above the mine shaft collapsed into the water in the shaft.

When abandoning a mine the miners would "rob the coal pillars" that were holding up the shafts leaving no visible support. Can't build over that unless the mine is under the layers of bedrock in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread