White's XLT
Tes Sand Shark
PI Surf Master
Garrett 350
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all.
I have done all the research on PI machines with water proof equities, great punching power, the ability to travel easy and dual use as nugget hunter as well as beach and relic hunting. The ATX appear to fit the bill (literally and figuratively). So it would seem I have it all figure out right? So why the thread? Well, before I drop $2550.00 (deep seeker package) in coin a what seems to be a great (but heavy) machine, I wanted to see if anyone had experience with a better machine of similar cost (plus or minus 500) that maybe I have not researched (I have looked at the CTX, ML 3030, and the likes). I have had the White's Surf PI and the Tesoro Sand Shark (great machine). I plan to pull the trigger in the next week or two unless someone can give me a reason not to. Thoughts appreciated.

Thank you,
K

Upvote 0

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know much about PI machines. It was my understanding that they have little, or at least not very sophisticated discrimination, is that true? That would be a deal breaker for me. I can say the CTX, and etrac are great machines.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My gut would tell me to go with the CTX 3030. I don't own one but hunted with a guy that had one. I wasn't impressed at 1st because I was finding more than him but when he hunted where I had just been he found twice what I had passed over and not even had a signal. I found the same to be true with the new E-trac I just bought.

You have to go with your guy and not look back.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're hunting in an area with very little iron, The ATX would be a good choice. Personally, I like to have discrimination and would choose the CTX3030 if I only hunted shallow water and an Excalibur if going into deep water. Neither of the Minelab choices are particularly good at nugget hunting however. A dedicated nugget machine would be a better choice for small nuggets.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go with a GPX 4500 for nuggets and relics (if you are planning on hunting in bad soil) and any kind of FBS/BBS for beach detecting. You can find GPX with 2 years warranty for $2K and Excal, Safari, Explorer, Etrac or CTX for anywhere from $500-1500 with warranty. You will find more in both aspects of hunting with a lot more enjoyment.

OP
OP
K

Kurtshalftrack

Greenie
Mar 16, 2016
Okinawa Japan
Detector(s) used
ML EXCAL II
White's XLT
Tes Sand Shark
PI Surf Master
Garrett 350
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ALCON,
Thank you sooooo much. Just when I was certain I was headed to the ATX...I am rethinking it and looking at the CTX 3030. I have the Excal II great machine. More to follow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread