Oh the suspense when you see 1916 on a merc.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quick hunt today at a local park, few clad and few trash. Moved around a lot as time was limited. I came to a target reading 82-84 at 8 inches with the AT pro and Cors strike coil. So I figure let me dig this deep target, because this park is heavily hunted. Made a big plug, cut pop the plug over and started digging around the target hole to loosen up the dirt. the second time while loosening up the dirt to scoop out, I saw the unmistakable dirty silver coin get flipped over in the hole. Took it out and noticed it was a merc, but was caked with dirt. So I took my little spray bottle and tis, tis tis it a few times and saw 1916!
image.jpeg

My heart started racing and the though of it having a chance of being 1916D hit me like a truck, so I flipped it over and tis tis tis tis some more, this is what I saw
image.jpeg

Sadly no D! I looked at it a few times just to make sure lol.... Bummer, but still finding a 1916 merc in the condition it is in, I'll take that any day.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The strike coil is doing me good, second merc I've found in two weeks. Sat before Mother's Day, I went for a 45 min hunt before the sun set, and dug a 1940 merc, in fine+ condition.
Happy hunting everyone! And good luck!

Upvote 0

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin! Im waiting for that day where i can hold a 1916 merc from the ground and then flip it over.... And i too would be happy with it being from Philly... Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Merc HH Chug

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She cleaned up nicely! Thanks everyone!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice merc! Grats to ya and may the next 1916 have that D! Beware, though, there are many that won't believe the depth from just a "lousy Garrett at pro".
Tell me more about the coil? How large, apprx cost and your opinion of gained depth over the stock coil. My pro is now hardly used, as I put a 15" coil on it. My go to machine is now the at gold with the stock at pro coil.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on silver!

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice merc! Grats to ya and may the next 1916 have that D! Beware, though, there are many that won't believe the depth from just a "lousy Garrett at pro".
Tell me more about the coil? How large, apprx cost and your opinion of gained depth over the stock coil. My pro is now hardly used, as I put a 15" coil on it. My go to machine is now the at gold with the stock at pro coil.

I have the strike/tornado on my AT Pro, from my experience i feel it is the last BIG upgrade anyone needs. It gives good ground coverage, and i believe adds another 2-3 inches of depth. basically it gives better target ID. The merc i dug was reading a good 84, which is what my AT pro reads as silver rosie/merc. Some reason barbers come in at 81:icon_scratch:. I like the Strike coil so far, and it hasn't came off since i put it on. The only problem I notice is, greater coverage is not that great in semi trashy areas, as a good signal could be a bad target but it is just your coil's edge reading it as a good... lol thus I check around the target to make sure there is no trash etc. before digging.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still a nice Merc any way you slice it.