Public Land in Florida - where is it legal?

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright, so here in St Augustine it's ILLEGAL to metal detect on any public land without written permission from the City Manager (and I really doubt he'll grant any metal detecting unless it's for something really specific and beneficial to the city).

So my question - what cities allow public land metal detecting? I want to walk into the woods somewhere with a metal detector like I used to with my father when I was a kid. Where can I do this?

Any areas around st augustine? Palatka? Jacksonville? Can't seem to find any info on this for public land, just for beaches. Or is it ONLY allowed on public beaches nowadays?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have and I couldn't find anything at all on the city or counties website and I have scoured them more than once.

It's entirely possible, even in this super-wired day & age, that some city either A) still doesn't have a website, or B) it's so cryptic and small, that it doesn't contain their city ordinances, laws, charter, codes, etc... I'll admit this is possible, and maybe true of the particular city you are worried about. So here's what you can do:

If it has a "contact us" tab (or simply go in to city hall personally), and ask: "Where can I find all the municipal codes, ordinances, and laws, for public viewing ? " They will point you to where it exists (a link, or perhaps in binder form somewhere, etc....). If they try to change the subject and say: "What is it that you needed to know?" , you stick your guns and say " .... to avail myself of the laws pertaining to this city, for a research project I'm doing"

A few added notes: A) It's VERY rare for any city (especially as podunk as you describe, that they don't even have a bigger/complete website) would EVER have dreamed up a law so specific as "no metal detecting" So me thinks you're worrying too much. B) Once you've finally satisfied yourself that there's no such rule or law, you should still use discretion. Because anyone can still gripe and say you're harming earthworms or whatever. So pick low traffic times, don't be in the middle of deep retrievals when busy-bodies are staring, etc.... 8-)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's entirely possible, even in this super-wired day & age, that some city either A) still doesn't have a website, or B) it's so cryptic and small, that it doesn't contain their city ordinances, laws, charter, codes, etc... I'll admit this is possible, and maybe true of the particular city you are worried about. So here's what you can do:

If it has a "contact us" tab (or simply go in to city hall personally), and ask: "Where can I find all the municipal codes, ordinances, and laws, for public viewing ? " They will point you to where it exists (a link, or perhaps in binder form somewhere, etc....). If they try to change the subject and say: "What is it that you needed to know?" , you stick your guns and say " .... to avail myself of the laws pertaining to this city, for a research project I'm doing"

A few added notes: A) It's VERY rare for any city (especially as podunk as you describe, that they don't even have a bigger/complete website) would EVER have dreamed up a law so specific as "no metal detecting" So me thinks you're worrying too much. B) Once you've finally satisfied yourself that there's no such rule or law, you should still use discretion. Because anyone can still gripe and say you're harming earthworms or whatever. So pick low traffic times, don't be in the middle of deep retrievals when busy-bodies are staring, etc.... 8-)

Excellent advice Tom! This way the specific question about "can this guy metal detect" never pops up on the bureaucratic radar screen where there never was an ordinance against it before.

pkirill

Jul 22, 2013
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, MI6 pinpointer, Lesche 40" ground shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All great advice and I just wanted to add one item to look for. Here in Virginia, there are lots of cities and counties that have express rules against MD'ing on any public land that are pretty easy to find online. However - even those without specific rules against metal detecting have created laws against DIGGING in public places (parks schools, etc). So while you won't get your detector taken away, they can fine you if they see you digging holes (even if you are replacing your plugs). Just something else to look out for...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread