MDing at a City Park question

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'ing at a City Park question

So I'm new to this and I'm using a bounty hunter sharp shooter (it was a gift from my 6, 3, and 8month old). I decided to try to MD at a park but every 3"inches or so it beeped. My husband said it must be picking up electrical wires or something that are buried under ground.
Does that normally happen? Am I doing something wrong? I tried turning up the discrimination mode but it still kept doing it. I did dig a couple of times and found a nail, quarter, pennies, beer caps, and a few I didn't find anything (maybe didn't dig deep enough?)

Upvote 0

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I'm new to this and I'm using a bounty hunter sharp shooter (it was a gift from my 6, 3, and 8month old). I decided to try to MD at a park but every 3"inches or so it beeped. My husband said it must be picking up electrical wires or something that are buried under ground.
Does that normally happen? Am I doing something wrong? I tried turning up the discrimination mode but it still kept doing it. I did dig a couple of times and found a nail, quarter, pennies, beer caps, and a few I didn't find anything (maybe didn't dig deep enough?)

My SS II can go pretty deep on some items. However, it will false in heavy mineralized ground. But if you are digging and still getting a repeatable signal then you haven't dug deep enough yet. :-)

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be that you are digging it up and not seeing it. It is very easy to miss a small item in the dirt. A pinpointer would help. Good Luck!

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The first time I took out my metal detector I had a similar experience. I was beach combing and kept getting constant hits. The detector sounded like the Mario Bros game! When ever this happens to me now I do a ground grab and then start to notch out items that I'm not really looking for. You miss stuff this way so I have some one else notch out what I am looking for and look for the metal types I have notched out. Until you get familiar with the tones on that machine dig everything! Also get a good pin pointer. I use an AT Pro pin pointer and love it! Welcome to TNET!

OP
OP
I

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. When I take it to the beach I don't get many hits. When I do they seem to be pretty accurate. I'm going to try again at this park. Just going to wait for my husband to go with me because it's not in the greatest of areas.

OP
OP
I

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD'ing at a City Park question

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463706294.110185.jpg

This house sits nearly in the middle of the park. Built in 1864 by General Phineas Banning

Last edited:

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is it a repeatable hit than you can pinpoint? If it's not it's probably emi or some bad ground , have this clay down here that drives me nuts sometimes. Does it only happen at this spot?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check your cable on the shaft, once mine was causing bad signals
make sure it isn't loose or overlapping

OP
OP
I

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far yes it's the only spot. My husband grew up in the area and said he himself has never seen anyone MD the area. We walked along another section and started to notice tons of beer caps and pull tabs. Every few inches.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try lowering the sensitivity setting and see if that helps.

OP
OP
I

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET :). Let us know when you get permission to hunt around that mansion :D.

How would I go about that? It's part of the park. It's run by Recs and Parks. It actually wasn't gated until a few years ago. Too many people were loitering in the middle of the night sitting and drinking on the porch and all that.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your other post said it's listed as a historical landmark. Forget about it!

OP
OP
I

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be safe I'm staying out of the park also

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ummm you aren't married to the sports isola are you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions