Can I MD there?

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I had a previous post about a park and non stop beeping.
I'm in LA county in California. This park is run by LA City Recs and Parks. It's a city Park. But within the park is a huge home with carriage house and old school house. The home is a city, state and national historic landmark. The home is now gated (few years ago it wasn't)
Because of the home there do I have to have permission to MD the park? I saw no signs saying not to.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463773039.214246.jpg
Here is the park. You can see the building pretty much all in the middle.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463773097.844168.jpg
And this is the house built in 1864 just down the street from the civil war Drum Barracks.

Upvote 0

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Historic landmark or registry. Iirc that's a nono. Some people are more ballsy than others however if there is a grey area particularly with regards to proximity to a NHL, I'd pass on it. However you could always simply ask an officer, Ranger, or someone in charge and go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Historic landmark or registry. Iirc that's a nono. Some people are more ballsy than others however if there is a grey area particularly with regards to proximity to a NHL, I'd pass on it. However you could always simply ask an officer, Ranger, or someone in charge and go from there.

National Historic landmark. Does that mean the park is a no-no or just surrounding the home within the gate? I'll try asking. I won't dare just go back until I know. I just have to find out who to ask.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That's a city park, right ? Then City of Los Angeles administered parks are routinely detected. There's no *specific* rule in the park's dept. rules of L.A. However, the key word is "specific". Because there is another hobbyist rule-of-thumb you have to keep in mind: Don't swat hornet's nests. And anytime an md'r starts poking around obvious historic sensitive monuments (whether a rule exists or not) , is when you're liable to get gripers.

Since you are from CA, you should get on the Kinzli forum. Several So. CA prolific park hunters chime in there. And they can give you the real skinny on any individual specific park . To get to the main page, you have to sign up. But it's easy: just pick a name and a password.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Call the city or county. There are laws about detecting there. Suggest you find out...

OP
OP
I

isola

Greenie
May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a city park, right ? Then City of Los Angeles administered parks are routinely detected. There's no *specific* rule in the park's dept. rules of L.A. However, the key word is "specific". Because there is another hobbyist rule-of-thumb you have to keep in mind: Don't swat hornet's nests. And anytime an md'r starts poking around obvious historic sensitive monuments (whether a rule exists or not) , is when you're liable to get gripers.

Since you are from CA, you should get on the Kinzli forum. Several So. CA prolific park hunters chime in there. And they can give you the real skinny on any individual specific park . To get to the main page, you have to sign up. But it's easy: just pick a name and a password.

Yes it's a city park. Thanks for the info about the kinzli forum

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Call the city or county. There are laws about detecting there. Suggest you find out...

If you take austin's advice, and feel the compelling need to talk to a live person, then do NOT ask : "Can I metal detect?". Or "Is metal detecting allowed in the park?", etc..... Because to phrase it in any such way, risks an arbitrary whimsical "no". That might just be their personal opinion. Because perhaps they envision geeks with shovels, etc...

Instead, if you really want to talk to a live person, you do it this way: "Hello. Where can I find a list of all the park rules, ordinances, permit list for any activities that require permits, etc....". They should point you to a web-link perhaps. Or to where you can find it in binder form printed, etc... And then LOOK IT UP YOURSELF to see if there's any rule that said "no md'ing". Or any "permit" offered for this activity.

If they try to change the subject and say "what is it that you needed to know?", you stick to your guns and say: "To know where the public can avail themselves to the list of any rules that apply to park usage".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread