Tesoro Sand Shark OR Garrett AT Pro ?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely not the AT Pro for sure. I being a single freq. detector it will false badly in the wet saltwater sand. The Sand Shark won't have this trouble, however PI's have very little disc so you could wear yourself out digging deep holes, but you will find many rings.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks :) Is there anything else you'd suggest outside of the Sand Shark that is around that same price range of $600-$700, that would be good for salt water and land?

What if I just stick to dry sand, should I get a different detector for that all together, or will the Sand Shark be OK for dry sand?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector will work in dry sand. Sand Shark will also work in dry sand and you won't miss anything. I don't recommend it for all the trash you'll find. The best would be a CZ-20 or 21, Excell II, but these are $$$.

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any detector will work in dry sand. Sand Shark will also work in dry sand and you won't miss anything. I don't recommend it for all the trash you'll find. The best would be a CZ-20 or 21, Excell II, but these are $$$.

That CZ-21 has a lot of fantastic reviews. And submersible up to 250 feet?! I dive and the fact that I could take this diving with me is awesome.

Will the CZ-21 eliminate me digging up bottle caps every few minutes?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Excalibur or the CTX are top of the game for land and sea. If you mean hardcore beach hunting as in several times per week/ month I would buy the Excalibur. If you primarily are going to use it on land with an occasional trip to the beach the CTX is the best choice.

Of the 2 you mentioned only the ATP will be usable for land detecting but it is mediocre at best for saltwater. Not saying a Pi machine won't detect metal on land but it has zero discrimination and you will be digging every tiny piece of iron, foil, and trash in the ground.

Last edited:

Skexis

Apr 14, 2013
Adelaide
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mate, don't buy a Sand Shark if you intend doing anything at all on land. Has zero discrimination and will be next to useless. I tried it once - never again. On a beach however it is probably one of the best out there. The AT Pro is supposed to be able to balance to salt on a beach but it's not really a wet sand machine so you're really restricted to the dry stuff which anything can do but it's good on land and in fresh water. Alternatively the newer model Tiger Sharks are also supposedly an all round option and might be worth a look. Or just get two detectors as that way you'll not have to compromise so much. An AT and a Sand Shark should be a good combo and you'll have all the bases covered.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the Sand Shark for Wet Saltwater sand and water, and the Tesoro Silver uMax for dry sand and land hunting. You can get both for LESS than one multi-frequency machine. :skullflag:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to detect in salt water or wet salt water sand and you want discrimination (and not go crazy digging iron targets) you need to get a multifrequency machine. The only one on the market that is also a great turf machine, is the Minelab CTX. All of the other salt water machines (Fisher CZ series, Minelab Excalibur, White's Beachhunter I.D.) aren't ideal for turf hunting for a variety of reasons......I.E. no TID or depth reading, and they're usually heavy and not well balanced. Now, if you're not going any deeper in the water than your knees, you could get away with a Minelab Sovereign, Explorer, or E-trac also. All three of those are excellent in wet salt sand and in a turf hunt.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold onto the warranty card on the Shark. That increases resale value a little bit and get the 8" coil. It is much easier to hunt surf with the 8" coil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread