Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Garrett's & Predator Raptor model 31 - anyway everyone has their favorites - good luck on your choice.

Texas ED

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 DD, Si Robertson TC2X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been leaning towards the lesche for a while. I am actually ambidextrous so I worry about the serrations on one side. I have heard great things about the lesche though!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you need something to hold you over until you can get a Lesche, I recommend the Fiskars Big Grip gardening knife. You can pick one up at Walmart for about 8 bucks or on Amazon for around the same price.

Fiskars 2.jpg

It has a really thin blade which is awesome for cutting clean plugs plus a serrated edge for sawing through roots. It has the inches metered out on it as well but that's not something I even pay any attention too. I'm all about basic functionality. If it works the way I like it I'm good.

There IS a weakness where the handle meets the blade that CAN break over time but it takes quite a while. The upside is the product has a lifetime guarantee and you can get a full refund and/or replacement for free.

I had a friend weld a reinforcement for me where the handle and blade meet and slid a bike hand grip over the handle. I sharpened the cutting edge like a razor and the thing is unstoppable now. I actually bought 4 of them in case I take someone along on a hunt. So if you need a great tool on the cheap, the Fiskar's is great.

I tried a similar tool I found at Home Depot made by Ames when I first started detecting. It was okay but the blade was just too thick to cut a plug the way I like it. With the thin blade you can cut and replace a plug without ever even wilting the grass. I can cut 50 plugs in a field and you'd never know it by looking.

Last edited:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been leaning towards the lesche for a while. I am actually ambidextrous so I worry about the serrations on one side. I have heard great things about the lesche though!

my 2¢...Lesche are fantastic! VERY sturdy, comfortable and intuitive to use. The serrations are an additional feature, rather than being integral to it's use. In "normal" use for me...when I encounter a small root to be cut (1 out of 20-25 uses in the woods or 1 out of 100 in a park??)...just make a 1/2 second adjustment in your cutting/slicing motion, and push or pull through the root depending on which way the teeth are facing. I carry a small file in my gear and if it isn't slicing through the turf or forest floor with ridiculous ease, it gets a quick touchup. The only downside to the Lesche...deeper targets in loamy/sandy soils where you have to move soil from the hole to recover. Thinking adding sugar to your cookie dough recipe using a steak knife (sideways) :BangHead:.

and that is why I always have my 14" Wilcox garden trowel on my hip as well. It might not see the light of day for 5 or 6 outings, but feels like the bargain of the century, when I use it. VERY sturdy also. I'm sure if Wile E. Coyote was aware of this tool, he'd have about a million more scars.

Last edited:

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the lesche without a question. You will never leave it home and go out detecting--never! Nothing compares to it anywhere. They try to copy but not even close to it. IT IS EVERYTHING EVERYBODY SAYES IT IS AND THEN SOME---PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have backup tool in my truck.
Marvin

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I also (conditionally) recommend the Lesche...

For me, I found it to be an awkward tool for my hunting/digging style & terrain.

Modified it, and now i couldn't ask for a better digger.

717c657324f3865fb1e50aea19e436f1.jpg

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's definitely cool! Looks tough!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1 for the Lesche. I have pried with it so hard, a few times I thought I'd break the bones in my hand before this thing would bend, and had to back off. One tip: After a while, the red rubber handle of mine came off. Cleaned out the inside of the grip and cleaned off the metal handle. Then added a few dabs of Gorilla glue to the handle and quickly slid on the grip. The grip has not come off since :icon_thumleft:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the Lesche. I've used the freebie ones you get when you buy a detector and some Hori Hori knives (which are cheap and work good too......for a while) and find the Lesche is the best one I've used.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the price, lesche. I have a gator, a few other diggers, and a lesche, lesche cuts the cleanest and quickest plugs and the flat base at the handle is great to rest your other hand for leverage or a plunge cut.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have a look at the Ironclad Viking digger, it seems to be a super trowel, well-built, great materials -and, it cuts roots, which I'm sure you have up in Wisconsin! You can see one here on this forum.

OP
OP
Troller

Troller

Mar 5, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I saw the Viking, but he only makes a few at a time right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread