Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Sometimes I use my inviso-cloak when in the city park. Don't look like much, just an ordinary set of headphones. But their function is something to behold! I put them on and the rest of the world has to become an actual physical threat before I take note!

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Sara you may occasionally run into folks that yell or make comments in parks but they are usually in groups, most individuals are just curious. ?I have learned if folks are curious they will ask a question or 2 then walk away. If someone asks what have you found always show them some of your ?trash. This will give impression you arent finding much plus it shows you are making the area a cleaner place. Always take a few mins if the person is an older person as they can be a wealth of information that could set you up with some future locations. Finally if you feel someone is paying to close attention its easier to leave and come back later.
Keep us posted on your success
hh

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I don't have those troubles, on a GOOD day I look like the walking dead with headphones or a serial killer trolling for my next victim!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most common problem I've encountered while detecting schools, parks, and the like is, kids like to follow you around and ask a million and one questions while you're trying to concentrate on your detecting. This lends to not being able to concentrate, loss of detecting time, loss of finds, and aggravation as they are relentless in their curiosity, and the questions they ask! lol

What is that thing?
what are you doing?
have you found anything?
does that thing find paper money too!?
is that your job?
what's your name?
do you have any kids?
do they play here too?
are you a bum?
can I try it out?
have you found lots of gold?
can you show me how to use it?
can I have the change you find!?
can I walk with you while you dig/etc.?
if you find the toy I lost will you give it back?
can I see everything you've found?
how much $$ can you find in this park?
etc.?
etc.?
etc.?

and the questions keep coming as they follow you and ride their bikes in front and all around you, and or they walk so close that you can't swing your detector, and drive you NUTS!! ;D

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFLMAO

I can't tell you how many times I've been pestered the same way by kids in parks and playgrounds. It drives ya nuts but you have to kind of grin and bear it. I've even had them throw coins 20 or 30 feet in front of me and then say "ok, go find it". I do try to answer their questions as best I can. I had a lone kid follow me one time for 2 hours in a park asking all kinds of intelligent questions until his folks finally caught up with him and drug him away.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bunch of kids pestering me one day, getting in the way, etc. I told them there was some buried bank robbery loot on the other side of the park and a big reward for finding it. Last I saw of them they were on the other side of the park looking for bank loot! I had a bunch of older kids kinda' getting aggressiive and I told them a policeman was looking for a kid dressed like one of them and said they would be back in about 5 minutes to arrest him for something. Last time I saw them they were beating feet out of there! They looked like gangbanger wanta'bes and I wasn't afraid of them but I just didn't want to have to explain the dead bodies and blood to the police if they tried to harm me! Mr. .45 Colt ACP usually accompanies me on forages into hostile territory.

F

foolserrand

I have found the best time to detect parks is at daybreak.... only people around at that time are the hardcore joggers. Daybreak on saturdays & sundays is also a good time to detect schools as well.?
? ?I rarely? get harrassed..... the worst are the parents of very small children who have it in their heads that the park is only for kids. If I am at a park by myself & a couple shows up with their toddler.... as soon as they leave i expect either a cop or a park worker to show up to check me out.? >:(

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that kids can be bothersome, but we should all remember that some of them are future detectorists. 20 years from now, I'll be here, posting answers to questions that some of todays kids ask, lol! I just try to be friendly, give em a smile and indulge their curiosity.

C

Carl in CO

Just get a probe attached to a Dirty Harry and throw it in a holster. Nobody will bother you.
The local cop called me out in a small town park one time. I thought I'm in trouble now. He was looking for someone and wanted to know if I'd seen anything. Had a long conversation with him. Turned out he panned for gold and gave me some information on the subject.

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's some good info, especially from fool, I am up at 4 or 5 and that seems safest. I also think that omni has the right idea! I can be pretty scary after a night of up late with the kids and back up at 4. I bought a tiny handgun but here in IA a person has to take a short course at the local college to be able to carry it. Thanks everyone, this is such an interesting site! Sara

S

sal1966

YEAH! last year we were detecting a foundation and this lady pulls up and starts bitching at us.She said she was gonna call the owner. we asked for the name and number and she couldn't tell us. Next weekend we returned and she came back with a name. I called information an the name didnt exist in the town she told me he lived. What should we do if owner can't be reached( was she lying)? There were no signs posted.The owner is supposed to be a contractor.Her husband said he talked with the owner an he said he wasn't too concerned. ya think he would be in the phone book. ughhhh don't know what to do. my friend found a connecticut copper there, thats why we want to return. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Wow Sal! I'd say ask the lady where she got her hair done, it's really beautiful and she is not the kind of woman you're used to seeing around there. Ask her where she shops for clothes because your wife could use some help there and have a few chocolate candies ready. Within 8 minutes she'll be digging for you. But in case she doesn't respond in the usual manner, have some milk bone dog treats on hand also and offer them in lieu of chocolates.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey f2D, I know the how to schmooze the female type. NEVER mess with a property owner's wife if you are making good finds there! Complments and candy should do just fine. Hey free, did you pay for that hair?

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Hey FTD. A wise person once told me" Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. " By the way, I don't see a response about your hair. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions