Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I am new to the forum and metal detecting / treasure hunting. I have always thought about getting a metal detector and I have wanted one ever since I was little. I just never really acted upon it. Well, I am a big time techy that builds computers, fixes computers, smartphones, tablets, etc. I also use to be into PC gaming, however I have just lost all interest lately. After work, I tend to just sit around on the computer and not do much of anything. I have been telling myself I need a hobby for a while now. The other day I was walking through my local Walmart and seen a metal detector. That is when it hit me. I feel metal detecting / treasure hunting would be a great hobby for me. Summer is just beginning up here in Wisconsin and there is no better time than now for me to try it out. I think it will be an enjoyable thing for me to learn and will keep me more active / outdoors.

So, I am looking for opinions on a good starter metal detector. I am also wondering what else I need? I would like to only have to carry a tool or two along with my future detector. Is there a nice hand tool that is more "all in one" for penetrating and digging on the spot? Maybe a nice side pouch that attaches to my belt as well?

I think I have narrowed my search down on which detector I want to start out with. After tons of reading and research, I am now deciding between the Fisher F2 and F22. I was looking at the Garret Ace 250, but I seen many people that have used both the Ace 250 and F2 recommend the F2 all day long.

Also, I will be searching on "regular" soil mostly. There aren't really any beaches near me at all.

Upvote 0

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign xs2a Pro
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F22: 7.69khz; 9" concentric coil; 2.3lbs

Delta 4000: 7.8kHz; 8" concentric coil; Notch control; 6.5lbs

Silver uMax: 10khz; 8" concentric coil; Notch control; 2.2lbs;

My advice is to get the Silver uMax, and when you can afford it add the new Tesoro 11" x 8" Widescan (Double D) coil. Best of luck to you! :occasion14:

Think 6.5lb is off....

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like NC digger said you don't need all the stuff some guys recommend. I started with a cheap radio shack detector back in the middle 90's and found lots of coins even though I didn't really understand it and used a garden trowel. Then I thought I would like it better it I had a better detector. I was recovering from a very life threatening cancer surgery and wanted to do something not to strenuous but exercise. In 2012 I bought an ACE 250. It paid for itself in less than three months so I upgraded to an AT Pro and bought a pointer. I didn't buy a bunch of accessories at 1st because I didn't know how long would stay with it.

I bought my AT Pro in Nov and had it paid for before April and due to weather and frozen ground I couldn't detect in Jan & Feb. I have since bought a V3i and an E-Trac..

So what i am trying to say is work your way into it. Believe me once you learn any detector you can find as much as anyone else with the exception of depth.

I have a good Lesche trowel and a pin pointer but other than than everything I dig goes in my pocket. The pin pointer is a must after awhile but you don't need it to start it's just hard to find coins with out it.

Go with your gut as far as your purchase because if you don't you won't be happy.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm into tech and gaming too, buying a metal detector is similar to buying a GPU for a gaming PC. If you buy a GeForce 285GTX now, while out you're going to feel like you need a upgrade in a few months. Find a way to increase your budget now, so you don't feel like you're missing or not getting enough dept, etc.

MikeyMinx

Apr 8, 2016
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the F2... You won't regret it. Plus you'll have money left for a nice digging tool and pinpointer.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would get the bounty hunter tracker. Its $80 and can be found for cheaper. You are wasting your money by buying any of those others because they are all low end models and regardless which you buy if you like the hobby you will upgrade to the at pro. The bounty hunter will detect everything those other machines will. Those bells and whistles are junk. The reason the bells and whistles are junk is that they are not always right - there is a margin of error. You need to learn the sounds and learn to listen with your ears. If you get into the hobby and want to upgrade after a few months as many do you will have only wasted $80 instead of $200 and you can keep the bounty hunter as a backup or for friends etc. there is a reason everyone here is telling you to just start with the AT Pro - if you like the hobby you will be kicking yourself for not just getting it to start. So just get the cheapest detector like the bounty hunter tracker iv. Learn to use, see if you like the hobby. Then upgrade. As I said it will be just as good at detecting as the other low end models (ie ace 250, F2, etc.)

Here is a link to a good pouch - http://www.amazon.com/Garret-161290...091577&sr=8-1&keywords=garrett+detector+pouch

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would get the bounty hunter tracker. Its $80 and can be found for cheaper. You are wasting your money by buying any of those others because they are all low end models and regardless which you buy if you like the hobby you will upgrade to the at pro. The bounty hunter will detect everything those other machines will. Those bells and whistles are junk. The reason the bells and whistles are junk is that they are not always right - there is a margin of error. You need to learn the sounds and learn to listen with your ears. If you get into the hobby and want to upgrade after a few months as many do you will have only wasted $80 instead of $200 and you can keep the bounty hunter as a backup or for friends etc. there is a reason everyone here is telling you to just start with the AT Pro - if you like the hobby you will be kicking yourself for not just getting it to start. So just get the cheapest detector like the bounty hunter tracker iv. Learn to use, see if you like the hobby. Then upgrade. As I said it will be just as good at detecting as the other low end models (ie ace 250, F2, etc.)

Here is a link to a good pouch - Amazon.com: Digger's Pouch Camo: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I started with the BH Tracker 4 in Dec 2014, upgraded within 3 months, because i couldnt bare not having an idea of what i was digging... @ OP, If you are sure you cant get the AT Pro now, pick up one of the Bounty Hunter Pro models. atleast you have some type of ID and depth indicator.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Techbyte

Greenie
May 22, 2016
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Undecided
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the AT Pro really the best way to go? I'm thinking of just waiting a bit, doing some more research, and get a metal detector that I truly want and that will last me essentially forever.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP fits a niche that you won't outgrow without dropping a lot more money. Say you want a better land detector down the road, you can she'll out 1200 or so and still have a useful wet weather or river hunting machine. I have better detectors than my atp (in my opinion), but love it nonetheless as it serves a niche that within its price point is tough to fill.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is the AT Pro really the best way to go? I'm thinking of just waiting a bit, doing some more research, and get a metal detector that I truly want and that will last me essentially forever.

In that price range it is. Many use it and never upgrade. Its what they used on the show diggers. The issue is that if you buy it and end up not liking MD then you are out more money and will need to sell it or something. Thats why I suggested something like an el cheapo to start and see if you can get into it. I started with the bounty hunter and quickly upgraded to a $1500 machine since I wanted to beach hunt. I sold the BH used for $40 and had only paid $60 for it so I lost nothing because I easily had found more than $20 from that machine.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whenever the question (Which machine should I buy) is asked, the responses vary widely because each individual respondant is relying upon their personal experiences and their personal preferences.

That doesn't mean you aren't receiving good advice, as each machine suggested will do the job that you require. In fact every machine suggested will do the job, and once you've learned that machine you'll find that knowing your machine is far more important than the bells and whistles on your machine.

The CTX 3030 always gets a lot of support when someone asks for the best possible machine available. And it should, as it is a fantastic machine. But it isn't the machine for me (I sold mine).

That is the point I am trying to make: you have to find the machine that fits you. We can offer suggestions based on our experiences (and preferences) but you will have to decide which machine fits you the best.

My suggestion is that you try swinging several different machines. Go to several local dealers and play with the machines they offer. Join a local club and ask the other members if you can check their machine out for a bit. Ask them what they like, and what they don't like, about the machine.

Bear in mind the fact that sound (tone response) is almost always going to be the most reliable indicator of what is in the ground. Numbers are sometimes nice and can help you make the decision to dig (or not) but it is sound that tells most of the story. I frequently know whether I'm going to dig (or not) before looking at the VDI number.

I have experience with two machines that fall within your budget. A brief synopsis of my thoughts on each is as follows.

Teknetics Eurotek pro (concentric coil) — light machine, fast and fun to use. Easy to learn but has a few features that I would not have expected in the price range. Pin points well and I like having the ability to hear the iron while hunting. The preset ground balance works well in most soils, but could be a problem in some. Goes reasonably deep — about 7 or 8 inches seems to be the extent of its abilities.

To me the machine is a winner and I strongly encourage others to check it out for themselves. The machine has a 5 year warranty.

Tesoro Compadre (5.75 inch concentric coil) — I can't emphasize enough how great this machine really is. It is very lightweight, very fast, and a blast to use. Extremely easy to use but it will surprise you with its capabilities. The ground balance is preset but seems to work very well in most soil conditions (I've had zero issues). Depth seems to be somewhere around 8 to 9 inches — which is amazing to me (given the small coil).

In my opinion everyone who doesn't own a Compadre is doing themselves a disservice. To my way of thinking it is a “must have” machine with capabilities that will astound its users and a fun-factor that can't be beat. The warranty is for life.

Accessories

Pin-pointer — I use a Garrett pin-pointer and have for years now. I've had great luck with it (still using my original). Having a pin-pointer isn't an absolute requirement, but it sure speeds things up.

Pouch — I don't use one. I don't like having a bunch of stuff on my belt. I use a small bucket (less than a gallon) to keep all my finds (trash or otherwise) until I get back home and sort them out. I also stow my digger in the bucket (while hunting) and keep the pin-pointer in my front pocket. The bucket was free (I found it while out detecting).

Digger — I have both a Leshe and a Predator hand digger. Of the two I prefer the Predator, but it isn't as useful when the ground is really hard. I also use a small gasket scraper (el cheapo from HF) to “pop” shallow targets. Prior to buying the two hand diggers, I used one of my wife's many garden trowels. They got the job done, but did tend to bend at times.

Headphones — I have several and much prefer to hunt with headphones. The cheapest pair wasn't much more than $20 and works fine for the purpose. I keep that pair in my truck on a permanent basis

For somewhere just slightly north of $300 you could get a new Compadre (lifetime warranty) with a new Garrett pin-pointer, a cheap set of headphones, a cheap digger and a pouch/bucket that will have you completely set up. Keep it all for 1 year and try your hand at detecting. If you decide you don't really like the sport, you could probably sell everything for $200 or a bit more — meaning your cost was less than $10 a month (equipment wise) to try the sport out.

Best of luck with whichever machine you choose.

CoilToTheSoil

Mar 14, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Sovereign GT
Minelab X-Terra 705
Minelab Explorer SE
Minelab e-trac
Tesoro compadre
Whites v3i
AT Pro
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Bounty Hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The eurotek pro while not a high end detector (and it is not supposed to be), for the price (new), is very difficult to beat! 10/10 for its class!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my Eurotek Pro! With that said, please check out the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. It has an adjustable ground balance and several modes that help find the targets you're are looking for.
After I read what detectorists had to say about its capabilities it's on my list of detectors to own. And at $283.00 it's very affordable. These aren't the Bounty Hunters of old. They have great features and beautiful LCD screen.
I've owned 2 At Pros, 2 CTX's and I'm currently using the Excalibur and Eurotek Pro.

Scott2373

Greenie
Apr 29, 2016
Williamson, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Treasure Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Whites Treasure Pro. I'm brand new as well and did a ton of research before deciding on that one! Talk to a forum sponsor for a REALLY good deal, or PM me and I'll let you in on the deals I got. I can't post them here!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
F22: 7.69khz; 9" concentric coil; 2.3lbs

Delta 4000: 7.8kHz; 8" concentric coil; Notch control; 6.5lbs

Silver uMax: 10khz; 8" concentric coil; Notch control; 2.2lbs;

My advice is to get the Silver uMax, and when you can afford it add the new Tesoro 11" x 8" Widescan (Double D) coil. Best of luck to you! :occasion14:

Wait a minute. The Delta with the stock 8" coil is 2.2 lbs. You can swing it all day and never get tired.
If you're looking for a great detector for not too much cash you can't beat the Delta. It's hits DEEP too.

But you're asking the age old question here. Everyone here has their own personal preferences and all of us are gonna' tell you what WE like and not necessarily what you like. I would seek out the detector that feels right for you and just trust your gut after you've gotten all of our opinions. Just stay away from low end Bounty Hunters. Not that they won't find treasure because they will; they're just not depth monsters.

Otoh, the BH land Ranger Pro is a whole lotta' detector for the money and comes stock with an 11" DD coil. It might be worth looking at. BTW, the LRP is NOT a low end Bounty Hunter just to be clear. I've never used one but from everyone I've talked to and what I've read, it looks like a really nice detector for the money. They've packed lots of great features into that one at a really great price. If I was starting out again and knew what I know now, I would have no problem with that one at all. It's a great, affordable all around machine.

I went through 3 BH detectors in a few months and then moved up to the Delta and loved it. It was like night and day. I upgraded this year to the Omega which I also love but that Delta was and still is a great little detector for the money. Imo you can't go wrong with any of the Teknetics machines.

The only downside is they CAN be noisy around power lines so keep that in mind if you plan on hunting around power lines or cell towers. You may have to crank it back a bit. But realistically they perform just fine 95% of the time. They're hot running machines and are just sensitive to electromagnetic interference at times. But that sensitivity is what makes them great treasure finders.

Also, keep in mind that Craigslist is a great place to find a starter machine at a great price. I would also get a decent pinpointer. The XPointer by Deteknix is great and costs 90 bucks. It has a 2 year warranty,

As far as a pouch goes, you could just go to Walmart or wherever and get a fanny pack with two pockets for 7 or 8 bucks. You can even get a simple, canvas nail apron for about a buck. I used a nail apron for almost two years and they work just fine. Yeah, some people may think a fanny pack makes you a geek or something but who cares?? If it functions and helps you find treasure and keep it safe and contained when you're out there that's all that really matters.

You'll need a digger. You can buy a Lesche (which is a great tool) for around 40-50 bucks or one of many name brand diggers or you can go to Walmart and get a Fiskars gardening knife for around 8 bucks to get you started. You can always upgrade as you go along if you find that you like the hobby.

There are really so many options. I'm just trying to tell you how I got started on the cheap and I think I've done all right so far.

Whatever you decide, ENJOY yourself. That's kinda' the whole point of a hobby. This is a really cool hobby too. The more you go along and start finding cool stuff (and lots of trash and junk) ,the more you'll wanna' go out and dig up more stuff. It's very addicting so you've been warned.

Good luck at whatever you decide. If you have any questions as you can see, we all have plenty of answers and pretty much everyone here is always willing to help out.
Good Luck.....

Last edited:

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wanted to try a detector since the mid 60s when I first saw them in a magazine, but was too young with zero money. Then wanted one in my 20s but trying to choose the "right one" by reading a treasure magazine, I got frustrated in everyone saying theirs was the best. Never got one till I was in my late 40s and saw a old 1977 Whites Goldmaster for $30 at a antiques show. LOL. It was fun on the clad fields but never figured out the disc, so I dug lots of junk.

I upgraded 2 years later, and then wished I had bought a detector when I was 20. I waited too long, and missed out on a lot of virgin spots in all those decades. (I'm 64 now and can't hunt for more than 2 or 3 hours or so)

So, I am saying to buy something to get going. I doubt many people keep their first new unit as their main detector.

Also, don't worry about a detector that does not have visual ID. There is so much knowledge to be gained by concentrating on audio differences, and having a visual ID sometimes distracts your brain from hearing those very tiny differences.

as far as having a visual; it can mean very little if you don't know the things to do with the coil, over what seems to be a sweet upper zone reading. You need to lift the coil to get more info, or a different reading, as well as pinpoint the target precisely and then rescan that tiny spot to see if the ID changes. Lots of times it will. No such thing as a quick pass and believe the first ID.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions