Tenderfoot
May 10, 2016
utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, modified BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Questions about a 'repair upgrade' for a coil shaft

I picked up a used Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 for $30 from the local classifieds. It had a "broken" headphone jack (plug snapped off inside the jack), but it also has the coil superglued to the shaft - it looks like the nylon bolt used to secure the coil snapped, and they just smeared it all over with superglue. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/jmUlu

Anyways, it operates just fine (except the angle they glued it together means it's best suited for a person much taller than myself) so I was thinking of salvaging the coil (lots of cutting and sanding etc), but instead of just replacing the shaft with a normal replacement, I want to fabricate a hinged/folding shaft to make it more portable. Has anyone ever done anything like this? Aside from the weight (will probably just use wood since that's what I'm best with), are there any other considerations?

Upvote 0

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Drill out the plastic bolt and use the original shaft. Or use a carbon fiber tube to make a new shaft.
Best of luck and welcome to TNet.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd use some acetone (not finger nail polish remover) it can be bought at most hardware stores and I'd also buy a nylon bolt and nut to use when I got the coil off the shaft and disposed of the borken nylon attachment bolt. You detector can be made smaller, just by pushing in the locking pin and then pushing one shaft up inside the other part. If you want a collapsible detector keep your eyes peeled on craigslist and or Eba*. I see Minelab Go find 20's and 40's up for sale for really cheap prices.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions