Challenge. What to get?

Mailman22

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here goes, I have detected for over 20 years.
I have a whites mxt that is acting up and I have no interest in sending to have it fixed. I want a new detector.
I have read a lot about the AT Pro. It intrigues me.
Will it perform to the level of the mxt?
I have an eclipse 5.3 coil. That could sway me toward another whites machine.
What whites detector would perform to the level of the AT Pro for a $500 cost?
All I have read says that the AT Pro is a top notch detector. Is it?
Will I be disappointed with it compared to a whites mxt?
I am ready to pull the trigger on it and order a new detector with bigboyshobbies. I have read enough good reviews to feel comfortable with placing an order with Bart.
Should I go ahead and do this or maybe reconsider another mxt?
Cost is, of course, a factor.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Bart is good, my brother got his Etrac from him after using mine. The pro is a good machine too.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no experience with an MXT, so I can't give any advice on that machine. I got an AT Pro a few weeks back and I'm already enjoying it. In my local club, about half the members use an AT Pro.

I ordered a pinpointer once from Barts, and the transaction was great. Competitive price, good customer service, shipped quickly. Best of luck in whatever you decide, and of course, happy hunting.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would call Bart and ask him. He is a straight shooter and gets tons of feedback from customers. I have bought 2 detectors plus some accessories from him and he has never steered me wrong. I have an At Pro and it's a darn good detector for the price as compared to a Whites detector I am sorry I can't tell you. My other detectors are an E-Trac and a Whites Spectra V3i but they are in a different class than the At Pro

If you get the AT Pro the 5x8 coil is a must and it is about $100

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, the MXT is a better machine than the AT Pro. Now, if you need a waterproof machine, that gives the AT Pro a few extra points for versatility, but, strictly as a detector, the MXT would get my nod in a head to head comparison. Now comparing them to other machines........a lot will depend on what type of detecting you plan on doing primarily.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider an MX-5, M6 or MX-Sport depending on whether you really want to hunt in water or not. IMO these are all better choices.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The AT Pro is a good choice for versitility.
It is a fairly good detector and simple to operate.
Good used ones are around for $400 to $500.

OP
OP
M

Mailman22

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MX Sport gets my nod.

I would consider the mx sport if it's firmware gets settled. Also not sure if my eclipse 5.3 coil works with it.I plan on selling that if I go with the at pro.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
send the MXT in for repair.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The software version is probably the same, unchanged. I know because I sent a DFX in for repair and it came back with new display but same software version. Give them a call.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT is way better than the AT PRO! Unless you want to hunt in the water, go with another detector. May I suggest the MX Sport.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can hunt in the water with most detectors, you just can't submerge the control box is all!

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flyadive idea about sending in your MXT to be checked out is worth a shot and this is why! Keep in mind this was about 10 or 12 years ago. I had a father and son that I use to detect with from time to time. Both swung MXT's. I had just bought an explorer SE and the son wanted to buy my Explorer XS real bad but he didn't have the money. He was a good kid so I decided to trade my XS for his MXT. He got the better end of the deal because his MXT was having problems and it was pretty beat up. I decided to send in the MXT to have them check it out. I swear to god the MXT came back almost like brand new. It had a bad coil, they replaced the coil, they also went over the MXT with a fine tooth comb. They aslo replaced the missing knobs, and fixed some of the other things that were wrong. I don't know why, maybe it was still under warranty, but they didn't charge me a penny. I only paid for shipping cost.

Bottom line is that It might be worth while to have them tell you if its worth fixing and just maybe you'll come out ahead. I'd at least give them a call to see what they can do for you. The MXT is a better machine than what you're looking at getting. Just my two cents worth! Good luck on what ever you do!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not just blow your mind and get a new Minelab 705, or a used Minelab Safari? Come on! Escape the Whites force field and learn to dig deeper! :skullflag:

OP
OP
M

Mailman22

Apr 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not just blow your mind and get a new Minelab 705, or a used Minelab Safari? Come on! Escape the Whites force field and learn to dig deeper! :skullflag:
I like your thoughts. Just that, I don't see many following them. I have definately considered the 705 and 705 gold. Not that many videos to support it compared to at pro. Mostly overseas videos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions