Sharpening your digger

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How often do you do it? These few days have been very warm and dry, it made digging hard. I also noticed my digger was getting dull, so i just sharpen it today. The last time i did it was in April, Ive only been out maybe 4/5 times since then.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never sharpened mine. It does enough damage to the sheath without sharpening. When the ground gets dry I hunt more in the woods or low lying areas that retain moisture.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't sharpen mine, as I travel to other states and some of them have weird knife laws and the last thing I want is to be charged for carrying a knife beyond the legal limit of some law that I'm not familiar with.

I do keep a Glock FM 78 field knife with the root saw on the backbone if I'm working in a well-manicured lawn where I have to cut a deep and absolute perfect plug (and they don't have any weird knife laws). It goes deep, is very durable, and cuts like a razor and allows me to cut a plug with ease, retrieve the item and leave no trace I was ever digging there. I do pretty well with my Lesche tool though.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Garrett's & Predator Raptor Model 31 digging tools and I only sharpen them when it takes more push effort from me to dig a plug - anyway this year the ground been wet & takes very little effort to dig a plug. There only a tool & sharping them to me is only maintenance.

Texas ED

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sharpen mine when it needs it; which isn't very often.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I must be missing something, because I have never sharpened mine.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I should sharpen it whenever it is dull...Yet it gets sharpened about once a year instead.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 1 or 2 times per year and just on one side, to cut roots. Also sharpen my small shovel, think it cuts the grass more easily when it's dry. So it makes a neater plug.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sharpen mine once in awhile. Not necessarily because it needs It, I just like to inspect and play with my gear sometimes. I'm the same way with my finds. Love to get them out and fondle them now and then. [emoji12]

HH, Relic Nut

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my grinder on it about every 3 - 6 months depending on how hard the soil is

alexau

May 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Predator 31 looks like a great tool and seems to scoop better than any other handheld digger but I cant imagine it would be so easy to get it into the ground if there are any sort of roots or gravel. Even dry ground seems like it could be a challenge. Ive never used one so Im not talking from experience, just observation.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave up sharpening them. They are as dull as a political speech next spring anyway. My Predator hand digger and Raven shovel are made of serious steel, and tempered I believe. Regardless, they still dull and I just use them as is these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread