A Hard Lesson But a Lesson Well Learned.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I've had my eye on a beautiful hunting site for a few weeks; a beautiful Victorian mansion recently vacated and up for sale. My uncle's best friend actually owned it for many years but after he died it went up for sale. That was back in the 80's.

So anyway, I drove by a few times and decided now was my chance to get on that property to hunt. I wrote down the realtor's number but "never got around" to calling after a few weeks of rain and being really busy at work. I fully intended to "get around to it".

I decided that if I saw anyone there I would just stop in and ask because the people have been coming and going a bit. So, one morning I saw a few vehicles in the driveway and a lady on the porch so I stopped in. She wasn't the owner. She was a lady from TX interested in the place. A few days later the same thing happened. Then the next day I saw a pickup in the driveway so I stopped in yet again.

I got out of my car and walked across the property looking for someone to ask permission from. I popped around the back of the house and much to my horror and utter regret there was a guy swinging an Ace 350 in MY spot. I couldn't believe it. We talked for a while and I told him my story. He was cool enough but didn't invite me to hunt nor did I ask.

I asked if he was having any luck and he told me he found a BEAUTIFUL 1943 silver half dollar. I REALLY couldn't freakin' believe it. I actually felt kinda' sick. Now he had MY silver and he didn't even grow up here or know a thing about this area (this is what I was thinking even though he just beat me to it because he didn't procrastinate like I did). He also found a few nice old Merc's, assorted wheaties, an old silver plate spoon in really nice shape and a Confederate CW button. I KNEW it was a killer site and I let it just slip right through my fingers for no good reason.

Needless to say I left feeling a wee bit aggravated and more than a little mad at MYSELF. Understand that I'm not mad at the guy at all. He was perfectly cool and pretty happy (obviously). This is the very first (and hopefully last) time I've had any direct competition in my own neighborhood so this is brand new to me.

The moral of this story is, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE; EVER. If you do you may suffer the same humiliation and self flagellation that I did. I promise you it is very unpleasant. When I think of the numerous opportunities I had to get on that site and wasted I just can't stand thinking about it.

So I DID learn my lesson and today I took my own advice. There's another old house up for sale across the street on the same road. It's actually going to be torn down in a few months and a new house is being built on the lot. There are also three other lots that look very promising given the location. I called the realtor this morning and he told me he'll contact the owners and to call him tomorrow. Then I went to another spot; an old neighborhood schoolhouse that closed down in 1969. Both me and my Dad went there. That gives you an idea how old it is.

There's a church there now and there's an older guy who seeds the field and takes a bunch of kids detecting on Sundays. They were out today so I pulled in, walked over and introduced myself. I got wide open permission any time I want except during services in about 4 minutes. I will NEVER, EVER hesitate to ask again. If I ever do I'll force myself to visualize that big silver that should have EASILY been mine.

I told the guy I'll donate a bunch of junk jewelry and foreign coins he can use for the kids. I'm also going to offer to help with the kids if he ever needs it because there were about 20 of them today (and ONE pinpointer). That's quite a few kids for one person and they were really keeping him hopping. They were using various Bounty Hunter detectors he got on the cheap and he had a Tesoro Compadre, a Cortes and a Garrett Pro Pointer. He definitely knows what he's doing.

I hunted the site for about an hour this afternoon after everyone left and before the rain came. I found a 1946 wheatie, a 1943 War nick' and an undated Buffalo in pretty decent shape in my short hunt. Not a bad start on new site at all. It's probably not as good as the other site but oh well. I'll just have to settle for the crumbs this time (GRRRRRRRRRRR.....)

But, from now on I will NEVER hesitate to try and get permission on a potential site. My new motto is "ask and you shall receive" (because it's SO true) and I intend to seek, find and knock on every door that presents itself until they open.

I suggest to everyone to learn from my mistake. In this hobby procrastination can cost you. It's even worse when you actually know about the treasure you could have easily had. And no one can beat you up more than you can beat yourself up; believe me.

On the upside, the true beauty of the hard lessons is that they're the ones we NEVER, EVER forget; even if we want to.
And if you snooze, you truly WILL LOSE, so please don't snooze; even if you're tired.

I guess that's about it. I feel better now.....

Thanks for looking and HH.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guys make people with Aces sound like real jerks ��

No, not at all. Everyone should have (and love, and USE) the detector that they like the best regardless of what anyone else has to say. I started with a BH Tracker IV I spent a whopping 30 bucks on and at the time. I loved using that thing.

The "jerk" references have to do with sneaking onto private property, lying about having permission and tainting the reputations of the millions of honest treasure hunters that are involved in our hobby.
I like your post though......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little update on the 1800s house. Ran into the owner today, and explained about the other person detecting his property. He said that he believed I had already detected the property, so he let a fellow worked detect. I casually mentioned that I had given him my word that I would not detect around the house unless he was there, and I had kept my word. He shook his head and said that he really appreciated my keeping my word, and I could detect there any time I wanted. He also said that his co-worker told him he didn't find much except junk. ( hopefully ) I do believe I will be there tonight and see if he left me something.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little update on the 1800s house. Ran into the owner today, and explained about the other person detecting his property. He said that he believed I had already detected the property, so he let a fellow worked detect. I casually mentioned that I had given him my word that I would not detect around the house unless he was there, and I had kept my word. He shook his head and said that he really appreciated my keeping my word, and I could detect there any time I wanted. He also said that his co-worker told him he didn't find much except junk. ( hopefully ) I do believe I will be there tonight and see if he left me something.

Awesome.
Let's hope he's not very good at detecting and that you find some great stuff. I fully expect to see some pics very soon.
Good luck & keep us posted....

Lisa-Acuff

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2016
Oak Grove, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 with 5x8 coil
AT Pro - husband's
Bounty Hunter - starter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to hear he lied about having permission. Guys like that give us respectful hunters a bad name! I use an Ace 350 and was going to reply "He probably got all of the trash and cans out of your way!"

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to hear he lied about having permission. Guys like that give us respectful hunters a bad name! I use an Ace 350 and was going to reply "He probably got all of the trash and cans out of your way!"

Well, he definitely left plenty of trash behind; I promise you that. There must be a thousand nails at that site. I've since learned that the original house burned down in the 1930's and it was rebuilt. That explains the higher than usual amount of trash.

It must have cost a fortune even in 1930's dollars. The place is HUGE with a few spires and octagonal rooms, a gigantic wrap around porch and several outbuildings on maybe 3 acres. I LOVE old places like that. They have real character; unlike today's "McMansions". This place is a real mansion in a beautiful location. Just wish I would have gotten a chance to hunt it good and proper.

Oh well.

I have my eye on another place that looks fantastic. Looks to be a turn of the century estate with a stone gateway, a long, tree lined driveway that circles around the front, a spring house and a nice pond all on a huge tree shaded lot. I keep going by but no one is ever there. I've loved this place since the early 80's when I first saw it. Hunting it is one of my goals before summer ends.

I just have a gut feeling it's a virgin site. I could be wrong but that's what my gut's telling me at this point.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread