Ever get kicked off of a property!?

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If so, tell us your story!

Here's mine!

My buddy and I were out driving around the boonies one day a few years ago looking for places to hunt. We found 2 old 1 room school houses and decided to hit 1 before the other. After an hr or so at the 1st one, it was obvious that the place had been hit hard by other detectorist in the past, as, we were finding absolutely nothing to say the least.

We then drove about a mile or 2 to the other school, and got out/set up and started to hunt in the back where the school yard adjoined a farm/corn field. After about 15 minutes (and I had found a mercury dime- the only find made) an old man (and I kid you not- probably 85 yrs old or older) pulled up in a 4x4 like he was going to a fire. He jumps out and starts yelling at us in 4 letter words and asking what the xoxo we were doing on the property!

I couldn't believe this old dude was swearing at us with the F word in every other word, and he was so mad that I thought he was gonna have a heart attack! He had anger in his eyes, and fire coming out of his nose!

There were no signs posted, no fence, no nothing and the place looked as abandoned as could be, as it was out in the middle of no where just falling down.

So after a few minutes of hearing him call us every name in the book, and how the property had belonged to his dead brother, and being told at least 200 times to get the xoxo off the land and not to come back or he'd bring a shot gun and call the cops after! We got in our truck and headed down the road laughing as we compared notes on how the old dude was acting!

It was crazy! I never seen anyone so mad over a couple guys detecting (yet alone a guy his age) I didnt think people his age even knew some of the words he was shouting at us!

We've been told to leave other places before, as we've found a few abandoned places with no signs, fences, etc. and while hunting, an owner or relative, etc. has pulled up and asked us to leave. A few have even allowed us to remain and hunt all we wanted! But not this guy!

Upvote 0

karajo

Dec 29, 2004
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Could be that guy had something very important buried there and didnt want anyone happening upon it ::) Anyway if he was that old i would bet he has passed on by now. depending on how many years ago you hunted it. I would figure out who the property belongs to now and try and get permission to hunt it again. Who knows maybe that man was protecting his cache!?
-kara

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
It pays to know who owns the ground you are searching on. Even better, to get permission to hunt it! Been kicked off a couple construction sites. Both times had the okay to hunt but if anyone on the site complains or brings up a safety issue, then it's off I go and no problem. Had a guy try to kick me off a country roadside site last fall. Handed him his lunch and sent him off to eat it.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Without going into a long story, I'll just say I have been asked to leave a property once by a man with a hand gun. I was also hunting a few weeks ago with a couple other members of this forum and was approached by another man with a gun. Probably wasn't a good idea, but I had to laugh out loud when I saw his gun. Wasn't even on his property.
xXx

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I'm coming from the opposite standpoint just to give you an idea what it's like on the other side. I've mentioned it enough but my husband's family owns one of the last large free range hog farms in the area and he has to have a lot of land for them to forage. Our big family hunts artifacts, mushrooms and wild game here. Okay, I do most of the artifact hunting but we all want to keep the treasures in the family. This land wasn't free for him to "borrow" from the gov't, he paid alot and still does. So when any of us see someone tresspassing we nicely ask them to leave. I personally don't because I don't want thrown in the river or stuffed in a trunk. The last time we cought someone artifact hunting behind our house (boaters sneak on the land) we asked them to please leave, we hunt this area. Now these trespassers got irate, irrational, and threatining with us. These people leave trash, they're scary, and don't understand no trespassing signs. So this is why I won't go on anyone else's land. It would be nice to hunt everywhere freely but that's just wishful thinking. I hope I didn't make anyone mad, that's not my intention, I just want people to understand what it's like on the other end. Sara

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SARA, what you said is very understandable. there is very little reason for tresspassing in the first place. and then, for them to get rude with you when you call them on it, is not called for.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? maby, this would a good reason to get law enforcement involved. I'm shure everyone here understands your position. .................... ;jeff

Beach_hunter

Jan 20, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hunt private property without asking the owner. There really is no "abandoned land". Someone owns the land. I just don't want the hassle. Then theyrs the criminal aspect. If you find an 1804 silver dollar on someones land and get caught carrying it away...oops, grand larceny.

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonewolf, I feel like last post was directed at me so I have deleted my post. Sorry I offended you it was not my intent. I know very little about metal detecting being a novice but I do know a lot about the law. So, when a topic is presented where I do have some expertise I am prone to espouse my advice freely. Perhaps my response to the question should have just been.....No, I have never been kicked off of property when metal detecting.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey f2D, that's "could have" not "could of" although the common contraction "could've" would be an acceptable use of grammar.

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jimmileo said:
lonewolf, I feel like last post was directed at me so I have deleted my post. Sorry I offended you it was not my intent. I know very little about metal detecting being a novice but I do know a lot about the law. So, when a topic is presented where I do have some expertise I am prone to espouse my advice freely. Perhaps my response to the question should have just been.....No, I have never been kicked off of property when metal detecting.

No problem Jimmileo,

HH

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
karajo said:
LoL @ lowbatts we have a new grammar sheriff in town :)
-kara

LOL!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Well isn't that funny...
Back to topic, as Lonewolfe suggested before someone promptly came on and did exactly what Lonewolfe cited as at odds with the intent of the thread, going off topic of experience versus opinion, which of course I noticed and followed suit with! (run-on sentence)

Only to be followed by other posts in defiance of Lonewolfe's direction! That'll clear it up!

W

wepc

I have been kicked off of a few places, and I do not regret it at all. I went detecting at an abandoned house one time, and instantly found a silver dime. Just as quick as I dug it up, someone pulled up in a truck and claimed they owned the property and we had to leave.
We were kicked off of a construction site, recently I was told I was not allowed to hunt a dug up public street in front of someones business.
Of the few times I have been booted the other 100 times I was able to detect and make a lot of great finds.
I'll detect anywhere, as long as there is not a No Tresspassing sign posted.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I was hunting near New Market, Virginia.? The owner had given up permission.? We found alot of Civil War Relics.? We went several times, and checked up with him each time we went.? Our last time, he pulled up on his tractor, cussing, screaming, and kicked us off his land.? We tried to explain that he, himself, had given us permission.? His response was "I've never given anyone permission".? He screamed at us until we were out of sight.? What a Nut!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread