questions on MPX & Titan 3000xd MDs

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
questions on MPX & Titan 3000xd MD's

A newbie here, too. Want to get into metal detecting for more than just a hobby. Live in the Land'o'Lakes, lots of places to search. I've spent hours researching MD's, reviews & prices. From what I can tell the Bounty Hunters get the best reviews. BH along with the Titans are made by 1st Texas, but I cannot find any reviews on the Titans. Also, the MPX is made 'overseas' specifically for Kellyco. Has good features, but seems to be more of a 'generic' MD. I am not so sure on this one either...no reviews. So far I am leaning towards the Titan 3000xd. It's both land & water, does gold nuggets along with the coin - relic - cache modes. ANY info on these would be GREATLY appreciated! I've also done research on the Garrett Predator series. Thanks!

Upvote 0

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Re: questions on MPX & Titan 3000xd MD's

We have a Garret 350gta, a tesoro lobo st and got a titan 3000xd a few weeks ago. The Titan is very good and we are quite pleased with it.
It is quickly becoming our machine of choice. The Garret has never impressed us and I see it being sold soon.
I have re - hunted ground with the the lobo after the titan and so far four nickels and a penny is all that turned up.
The nickels were probably me more than the machine. With the good clear tones I'm most likely not following through with the nickel hits and checking the meter numbers when I should be.
Yes I tested the machine for gold and it did pretty good, the standard coil and the 4inch coil preform about the same, the 4 is better for getting into tight area's. I feel that we can take this machine on a prospecting trip and not be totally wasting our time. Been coining it to death right now but will try ground tests with different size gold against the tesoro on a slow day soon.
Also used it at Daytona beach twice, no - on the salt water but good in the sand. Last trip I had moved up beach about one hundred yards and passed a Garret coming down the beach, She had a penny so far asked how I was doing, pulled out a hand full of change , She said You must be a very good hunter to have that much already, never heard that before !! So .. I think the ... wait a minute what am I thinking , You should look for a good used Garret 350gta, Florida's not big enough for two titans.

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you, Sherpa, for the info. I have spent 'HOURS' researching machines, comparing them, and pricing. Somehow or another, I have to explain to my hubby why I want (or HAVE) to spend 'THAT MUCH' on a MD. May as well get one that is well worth it so I won't have to update it any time soon. This is the perfect site to find out! Don't worry, I live nowhere NEAR Florida....lol! :)

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used

Ok , We also looked at the ace250 and it was good, little less money, but I liked the titan's big numbers better than the garret pointer. The MXT by whites is nice but was out of our budget. Wanted to try the new tesoro's but none were around to see / touch.

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County

Hello guys,? Also have a Titan 3000XD.? Got it 2nd week in February.? Really impressed with it, although here in frozen land, northern Ohio the ground has been to hard to dig much.? Got about 3 hours total in the yard around the house.? Love the display, light weight, ability to control it with one hand, and the great package that came with it from Kellycodetectors.? Depth seems to be real good also.? HH? ?Harry

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I looked at the Ace 250 too. It's got a smaller coil. Does not make sense to change from a six.5 inch coil to a 4. Also only has a two year warranty compared to Titans 5. It does not come with the accessories that the Titan does, either. And the larger numbers would be great! Yea, the ground is frozen here. The lakes are too! We still have lot of snow, so that gives me a little more time to do research. I love this site! Thanks for the info! ;D

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

the titan is the same as the radio shack discovery 3300, $300 but only a 90 day warrenty ,I had one last summer an liked it

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For $100 more at Kellyco or Aardvark you get lots of accessories, plus a 5 year warranty on the Titan. The warranty alone makes it worth it. Someone else on this site said they bought the discovery 3300, plus a $59 2 year warranty, so actually for $40 more, you get more for your dollar. It really pays to do some web researching before you buy one. Great reviews! Thanks! ;D

O

oxfordbrent

I've had the Titan 3000xd since December & think it's great. It is great at pinpointing the find once you have identified something you want to dig. In the short time I've had it the most interesting finds I've had with it include a buffalo nickel, merc dime, Ford Model-T hubcap, watch fob, wheaties & other clad. I live in north central Florida and really have only searched old house/farm sites so I don't know how it does at the beach. I got it for Christmas from my parents and they got it from a store in Winter Park. The store even threw in a pinpointer and a digging tool, both of which have come in handy. :)

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okay, on the Titan? You guys are finding treasures, what was your best depth? :)

O

oxfordbrent

Probably around 12 inches.

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's just what I want to hear! Sounds to me the Titan is a good machine and well worth the $! All the research is going to pay off! I liked the idea of Titan being made by 1st Texas and all the BH's got great reviews, so why shouldn't the Titan? Thank you, thank you, thank you! :) :) :)

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used

Took a minute and put the 12 inch reply to the test, fresh hole so that eliminates the benefits of time and a target halo, but with a ruler I went down in the Florida soil ( sand .. ) and placed a dirty old clad quarter in and backfilled it. Tamped the top with the trowel but didn't stomp it to death. Neather Titan nor Tesoro picked it up. Try-ed a second hole at 6.5 inches and swung coil normally ( not scuffing the ground ) Titan hit it (first pass id'ed it as a dime - second pass changed to quarter and depth read out @ 8 inch - 6.5 plus air distance to coil was probably closer to 8 than 6 on the scale.Good signal and location was correct. Try-ed the tesoro , got a soft signal but the location was very wide, got to dark to see if I could pin point it down closer. I can tell you on the beach after the hurricanes the tesoro and I dug some wicked deep holes to retrieve little pc's of aluminized roofing coating.. I think she's in need of a trip to Tesoro, just not acting right lately.

The biggest change the Titan has made for us is, I feel we are digging less trash, therefore covering more ground , therefore more finds. Why less trash, confidence in the target ID numbers and I can really hear the different tones with this machine. I like hunting in allmetal, and the dig all signal theory, but I lacked the confidence not to dig with just the audio signal of the tesoro. ( this has not been a big issue gold prospecting, you know what you want and the signal it makes ) With the limited exposure to different machines I have, other machines may have better tones or other people may think these tones are poor , I just know they are better than what we have used and seem very user friendly.
The Titan has made it alot more fun and therefor we are doing it more often.

I really thought I wanted a new tesoro ( I spent four weeks trying to get information and what the new models were rated to do ) If I did not own one I would have given up after a few days. All I got was one word answers and none of the answers were consistant. The Information I got on the Titan was prompt, very detailed and completely answered the questions I asked.
On the extra's package , they were changing these alot, If the package being offered when your ready to buy is not covering all you want ....
PUSH them to adjust it or discount the other items you want. Don't be shy about asking

Lastly , really I promise , I had a problem with Duracell battery's in this machine , maybe just a fluke event but .. I couldn't get them out !! The metal flange on the bottom of the battery got caught on the little retainer tab. Working very carefully I spent 20 min. taking it off the pole and getting the flange over the tab. Other batterys have been fine.
Good luck , I hope this has been helpful for you.

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you very much, Sherpa t, for taking the time to do that! That was VERY nice of you! I know that when I called Kellyco on the MPX about who makes it, she just said 'It is made specifically for them from overseas'. Seems too 'generic' for me even tho it has a 5 year warranty. Sometimes a 5 year warranty on generic items means its in the shop more than in your hand. I checked out reviews on the Predator series. The Predator III seems to have the same functions, but with only one good review. Won't discuss the others in this forum! :o

The Titan, on the other hand, has had only good reviews. I even did a search of this site (after I posted) and all of those reviews are good. I just don't want to have to 'upgrade' any time soon. Also, if we take a trip and drive 1000 miles, we would like something that will do what we want it to. Whether it be coins or nuggets. Your test, even at 6.5 inches is deeper than some of the other machines go. And the idea of less trash is great! Minnesota has a lot of public lake accesses, parks, recreational campgrounds, a few ghost towns, railroad stops, abandoned farms and countless other places to hunt. The idea of 'treasure hunting' seems exciting...you never know what you're going to find! :)

Aardvark offers the carrying case, headphones, digger and a couple of smaller items. Kellyco offers, the headphones, digger, 3 in 1 pouch, and some smaller stuff. I wrote to Kellyco via email about 3 days ago to 'barter on accessories'. I would rather have the carrying case over the 3 in pak & baseball cap and other stuff. I have not heard back yet. If I don't soon, I'll order from Aardvark. Spring is coming and it would be nice to get in some practice.

BTW, what batteries seem to last the longest?

Thank you very much for the info...it has helped my decision tremendously! Shirl

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used

Battery life will depend on headphone use and the number of hits they respond to, I did get the kellyco re chargables they are fair for back ups.
Treasure belt is not to exciting, push them for the package plus include their hand held probe with signal and vibrate mode. Then if you want a carry bag pick the bounty hunter bag and it should be under 20 bucks with discount. Our salesman was Nathen, he worked pretty hard for the sale, did a good job. A few years back we had walked out of kellyco twice ,the sales staff was only interested in the big sales to snowbirds and we were ignored. They seem to have really improved the customer service and we had a very good experience.

OP
OP
melnatcat

melnatcat

Mar 9, 2005
Central Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hmmm, Sherpa t, maybe I should have you do the bartering...I'll come out way ahead! lol ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread