Garret Pro Pointer Repair

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
My Garret pro pointer hasn't been working right for the majority of time I owned it. I messed up and let the warranty expire before I finally sent it in for repair. When I did send it in they were going to charge me more than half the price of a new one to repair it. I didn't do it. Told them just to send it back. So yesterday I had just about had enough. The CoRe has me digging some deeper holes and the need for a pinpointer is greater now. I was just about to spend $150 on a White's TRX and thought I would see on Youtube if anyone had a solution. So there were several videos that showed removing the circuit board from the pinpointer and adding insulation on a couple of wires. In about 30 minutes the pinpointer is working like new with no falsing. Before I could just turn it on and it would start sounding off. It would detect metal but would also sound off for no reason, rendering it pretty much useless. It irritates me that Garret wanted to charge me for a new coil for the pointer when the cause was a design deffect and could have been repaired by them in minutes when I sent it in. Thanks Garret. Anyway I'm happy now and if you have an erratic Garret Pro Pointer it may be worth watching a video before throwing it in the trash. It is a liitle tricky getting the circuit board in and out. If you don't do right you can damage the on/off switch.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is a few seasons old. The switch went bad. I sent it in and they fixed it for $42. It came back in a new housing, they also replaced the switch, coil, and something else (can't remember). I was very pleased with the quick turn around time and the fact that I have a new $42 backup since Santa brought me a Carrott for Christmas. I do not swing a Garrett detector, but I am a die hard Garrett pin pointer fan.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Garret Pin Pointer has been going strong, I got it in Dec 2014. Strong as in long as the battery is changed, lol

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as an after thought, I have 3 Garrett pro pointers. When White's came out with the TRX, I bought one to try. The Garrett's pin pointer now sit in a drawer. Would not go out without my TRX. Just my humble opinion.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've posted this several times for what it's worth. I've got 2 pro pointers that began to act quirky and solved it by inserting a quarter under the cap to make the battery push against the contacts more firmly. Probably not a cure for every problem, but definitely easy to try.
luvsdux

OP
OP
S

Steve Ia

Aug 22, 2010
I tried adding a little foam to make the battery contact better but it didn't help. It appears there are three wires that connect to the circuit board from the coil. One is insulated and the other two just have shellac or some light coating, and these evidently touch the circuit board and cause it to sound off. I just sandwiched the three wires between a short piece of electrical tape.
My buddy has had a Propointer for several years and his has worked flawlessly. I guess most have good luck with Garret's service work and I don't remember exactly how much they were going to charge, but it was more than $45. My reason for being a little irritated was it didn't need any parts at all, and if it is a manufacturing flaw or defect I think they should have just fixed it. I am at fault for not sending it in during the warranty period and if I would have done so I'm sure I would have been a happy customer also.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have two pinpointers that ARE under warranty, but the stupid #'s have worn off the back end of them. I don't have the serial numbers, only my purchase records through Amazon.com. Do you guys think Garrett will still take them back in for repair?

Funny thing is, I actually went out and bought two Pro Pointer AT's to replace them. LOVE those carrots. They're fantastic!

There's a second ser number inside the battery component.

MNcoinshooter

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2016
Central MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve IA,

I have had the same problem. Last night I watched that video on youtube, took it apart and added a piece of electrical tape over the circuit board where the three wires will overlap. So far I have had great success.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took mine apart to fix the vibrator and ended up breaking one of the coil wires trying to slide it all back together. Time to break out the soldering iron I guess

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions