Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo.JPG photo-2.JPG photo-3.JPG found in jan. Of this year. Just became a member last night so posting it now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some royal buckles I found on the same site about a year and a half ago. photo-10.JPG I would love to know what the buckle heads out there think of these. I have never seen any like them any where. And I have researched quite a bit. I believe they were part of a horse bridle being sent from the new world back to spain for royalty. I have many other parts of this bridle I will post in the future.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to say this but the coin looks very suspect to being a fake or counterfeit .

Really? This just makes you look bad. Based on your history of questioning peoples finds I would argue that you actually like to say that it is a suspect find.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same coin after initial cleaning photo-28.JPG photo-27.JPG

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Would love to see all of the shipwreck artifacts that you have dug. Please do post them when you can.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks this is a very controversial date for this coin. There are very few examples to compare it with. It is hotly debated over on the rest of the net. 1732 and 1733 were the fist 2 years of its minting. These 2 years were all lost to the sea in 1733. The first year never shipped due to a shortage of treasure ships. Both years of minting were piled on the 1733 armada. King Phillip was accused by the catholic church of delaying the transit of the armada by 2 months so that all his pillar dollars could be loaded. This delay led to the deaths of over 1000 people in the hurricane of 1733. Out of guilt king Phillip had the remainder that made it to spain melted down. There are literally only a handful of these 2 years in existence. So they are indeed highly counterfeited. I would expect nothig less than for some people to doubt its authenticity. I hold no grudges to those who doubt it. But I will defend its authenticity vigorously. I almost didnt post it because I knew it would be unbelievable to some. I will post its certifacate when I get it. I know that mel fishers 1732 that sold in the 80s is still debated over. Some say its real some say he faked it. I know one thing I will search high and low for the rest of them. The legendary chuck mitchell was convinced that there were 1000 that were brought ashore here. He told me this on his death bed.it took me a while to find one. I sure wish I could show him he was right. The other 2 that I know were found here were mere fragments as they were found at the lowest tide mark. That leaves 997 more. Sure hope I find a 1732 next. And thats the whole story as I know it. R. I. P. Chuck thanks for the tip.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome story. It's got all the elements of the classic treasure hunt, and you found some!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With those two in the same hole, I think I would have dug a 5x5x5 foot pit there :laughing7:
ACTUALLY ..I would have dug down at least another foot of sand out - I have found stuff beneath stuff that was deep that was too deep to give a signal
what im saying is found a coin close to 2 feet down that went off faint and rechecked with no signal - dug down in hole about another 6 ins of soil and found another small old coin

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could bring a bobcat in there and really move some sand around. Im lucky to be able to dig there at all. There yard is beautifully manicured and the beach area is covered in three feet of sea weed right now from the storm. I have to rely on my 2 mistresses mother nature and lady luck. I have dug down quite a bit and it was quite a job putting all the sand back. Lucky for me there's global warming and beach erosion. Ill give it a little break and hit some swimming holes instead.

1HappyHunter

Feb 16, 2015
South East Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's funny after seeing this post and hearing about how highly counterfeit this coin is I just looked on eBay (search 1715 fleet) and two 1733 coins are listed ... I check pretty often just to see what's out there and have never seen these on there before. Nothing even comes close to how nice your finds are! Just thought I would share. Congrats again!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe one of those two-box deeeep detectors would be in order for this site. I know nothing about them though. Can they find small stuff or only big?

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Simply beautiful coin... Definitely a banner piece, considering the condition and rarity. Only thing I would note is that your information is a tad incorrect regarding the fleet... The 1733 fleet grounded in very shallow water with very little loss of life. The greatest loss of life came from the complete obliteration of the San Ignacio, which is surmised to have gone down somewhere off of Marathon. Most of the ships simply had flooded hulls after settling on the reefs in shallow water, which made salvage very easy for the Spanish. In fact, even MORE treasure was recovered by the salvagers than was even on the manifests of ALL ships of the fleet (I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 200,000 pesos MORE than the 12 million something pesos "officially" manifested). The fleet that wrecked with somewhere near 1000 lives lost was the 1715 Fleet, which went down in the vicinity of Sebastian/Vero/Ft. Pierce. However, the fact that the Spanish were indeed so successful in their salvage makes this coin even more rare, since there are not many to find!!!! I am truly in awe of that piece, and am a couple shades green with envy. Simply fantastic... GOOD JOB!!

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the correction gitschlag. I have read the accounts of both fleet disasters over and over and it appears that i have mixed the 2 together in my mind. I also mixed in the account of the pillar dollars being melted down and the church accusing the king of causing thousands of deaths. This info came from this source oipusa.4t.com
And the spanish pillar dollar-oipusa preface
At any rate it was a tremendous rush finding that coin. !!! It took me about ten minutes to stop jumping around. After my heart rate settled I returned to the hole and found another cob 8. I lived in vero for my teen years and never once tried to treasure hunt. I was to busy surfing and chasing women. I surfed at riomar reef and remember seeing the exposed cannons and anchor lying in the blast holes. I go back every summer and have never found a coin at any of the beach detecting sites. Ill keep trying though. Thanks for the compliments and keeping me straight on the story.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moved to metal detecting forum, "Today's Finds" forum is for just found articles. Nice find but doesn't qualify for banner, found before becoming a member...

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still cant find a number for how many people actually perished in the 1733 fleet disaster. I know that all but 1 were " swallowed by the sea" on la florida. 38 died on san ignacio. Accounts differ on populo some say all perished others state many were rescued. 3 dead on the capitana. One survivor says he saw 150 dead washed up. Only a few dead on herrea, tres peuntes , sanpedreo, chaves, el seuco and angustina. Accounts of el lerri differ greatly some saying it was a small ship others say it was large. Some say many people died some say all survived. Any way if any one has herd a number please post it for me or a link I can read. I guess I can drive 15 minutes to Islamorada and read art mkees reports from spain. Ill ask marty meylach next week and see what he says.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread