When discussing metal detecting with anyone interested

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
I have frequently been asked, " How often do you find anything?" My honest answer to that question is that I have never been out metal detecting and not found money. I have been out detecting hundreds of times over the past several years and have never been skunked. Sometimes it wasn't much, but never the less it was money. It never ceases to amaze me where coins are found. It can be of course in likely places such as the beach or parks, but it can also be in the middle of nowhere, far into the woods, in a remote pond or some other place where you would think that no one has ever been. Has anyone else had this experience?

Upvote 0

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure, probably most of us. I have always been a bad boy. I would throw pennies away during slow hunting times. This was back in the 60's. A gift for the future.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a ghosttown site that many times, more than I'd like to admit produces zero coins. But when it does they are good ones. I know what you mean though, I found clad in crazy remote places.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been skunked while cache hunting, gold nugget hunting, meteorite hunting, and at some well-hunted ghost towns, but I've never been skunked for regular coins. And yes, I've found them in unusual places, even while nugget hunting in the middle of the desert (probably dropped by a fellow detectorist.) I found some modern change on the side of a dirt road in the middle of no where while stopping to adjust some things, just by sight. Sometimes I wonder if there isn't at least a coin or two under every tree one sees...

When I walk back to my vehicle to go home I leave my detector on with the coil at search height and almost every time I get a hit, or two, sometimes more, in the middle of a field, etc. There's money to be found just about everywhere.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell these people that ask if you've found anything that besides coins there is gold and silver jewelry to be found.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure is in the eye of the beholder, I tell them that I always find something. Most of us MDers like to pull what others would call junk i.e. harmonica reeds, dog tags, lead soldiers, tootsie toys, dog tags, and other artifacts such as buckles, buttons, pocket watches, the list is endless. I always take my keepers from the weekend to work on Monday. The 1st question my Boss always asks is "what's it worth?" I always answer that it's priceless, how many have you dug? Many of my fellow employees live the MD life vicariously through my finds.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
My honest answer is the same as yours, and probably everyone on this forum.

My answer to those that ask me what I have found is " a few coins and some junk".

I am careful not to make our hobby appear too lucrative.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I (almost) never get skunked..., when I do, I've been hitting super hunted-out sites.....like (my) city park, half a block away.
I've been pounding it for nine years now, and almost always yields a little. Skunks STINK, don't they...? :laughing7:
But, I'm with you, I like to hit those remote places, where a small possibility you might be the SECOND person ever to be there, and BINGO, a coin...!
That's all it takes to make my day...! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions