PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got permission from my aunt to hunt her two houses. They have been in there family for generations. Great grand parents and parents living next to each other and so on.

Currently her two sons (my cousins) live in one of the houses. I went to visit and hunt last Sunday. I only hunted for about 2 hours. I was using my "New to me" etrac and I let one of my cousins use my ATP. I have very little time in on the etrac so I wasn't as successful as I wanted to be within the given time. I am fairly new to this hobby so overall I am still learning and still have yet to find a Pre-1965 silver coin.

Here is the deal. I wanted to use my etrac to get more experience with it and also it is suppose to be better with finding deep silver. At the same time, I know my ATP like the back of my hand and usually know what I am digging before I dig it. With that said. towards the end of our short hunt my cousin dug 2 near mint condition Mercury dimes (1941 and 1945). They were in like new condition and only about 2 inches deep. He found them within 12 inches of each other.

I plan to go back and hunt this weekend but I am thinking I should use my ATP because I know it so well and it has already proven more useful in less experienced hands. Not that I am well experienced but this was literally his first time detecting. Most likely my cousin will hunt with me. So if I use my ATP he will have to use my etrac. I bet he will find some good stuff with it as well. He seems to be a natural. :)

Which one should I use? I have an assortment of coils for both going up to 15".

BTW, I only found a few clad coins and 2 or 3 wheats. I also found a really cool grill from what looked to be a 6" metal toy car. It looked old. That was the most interesting thing I found on the short hunt.

Thanks
PluGGLife

***UPDATE**** Not that this is a huge issue but I found out it's not 5 aches but more like 2.5 acres.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd continue on with the E-trac and use the biggest coil you can based on the amount of trash in the ground. Now around the edge of the house, metal fence, or any other similar area, you will probably need a tiny coil to properly scan that area so it doesn't false on you.

OP
OP
P

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I forgot to mention that it seems to be difficult ground. We got a lot of interference and false signals. Lots of trash. We most hunted around the house and garages. We probably only got halfway thru those areas and didn't touch the field of a backyard. I just had the stock coils on both. I may switch to the small coils I have for each to finish out the near house areas. It might help for sure.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good plan.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use TTF on the Etrac and cherry pick it first. I bet you will beat him in the trash.

OP
OP
P

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did another hunt today. Used the e-trac with the small sef coil and the stock coin program. Found lots of old toys and what looks like a silver spoon. Will post pics later

OP
OP
P

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160619_141608.jpg 20160619_141449.jpg 20160619_141426.jpg 20160619_141409.jpg
20160619_141319.jpg

OP
OP
P

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spoon is silver plate Wm Rogers A1 Plus LTD . I found a few wheats and a handful of clad.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the token! You might want to post it here on the Tnet token and tag section and also on tokencatalog.com

OP
OP
P

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@cudamark

I will do that.

I went back yesterday and found more toy cars.. 5 quarters 13 pennies and 5 dimes. One of the dimes is a 1939 Mercury in very good shape.

I started the hunt at 9am, I used the e-trac with a Jewelry-coin pattern. I had my Ultimate coil on. I was finding a fair amount of good targets vs trash. I think I am starting to learn the e-trac a lot better. However, at 1:30p I started using my ATP with the Tornado coil and within 10 minutes I found the Merc. This is my first silver coin ever. Now, I know what everyone must be thinking. I know the ATP and maybe that is why I finally found silver on this site. I am not sure but maybe it is. The spot where I found the merc was next to one of the houses and that particular spot wasn't hunted much if at all. So it was a new area close to the house that wasn't hunted with the e-trac. When I was using the e-trac I mostly went back over the same areas I had been with my smaller coils and also a small portion of the field. So , I don't know if I would have found it or not. I think I may use the e-trac more but with an open screen next time.

1939-Merc-Dime.jpg

I also found a 1967 Dog tax tag. I will post a pic later.

Some of the toy cars must be old. I need to clean them up and post some good pictures.

I plan to go back and hunt with my cousin asap! As stated in the update above, this is most likely 2.5 acres instead of the 5 I originally thought it to be. I am not good with sizing up land. :icon_scratch: . But it is plenty big enough to spend hours hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More like days of hunting! Have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread