Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 0

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007
Canewrap said:
I've got a CW site that seems like it wasn't plowed very deep, but any brass in the 3-8" range is badly corroded because of fertilizer and I'm looking for a new machine, so I was wondering what would be a decent deep seeking machine to use for relics?

At those depths a Tesoro Tejon would make the hunt a "Turkey Shoot." The Tejon will easily sound on a freshly buried dime at 8-9 inches. And too the Tejon is simple to learn and use.

If your soil is moderate and money is an issue, the Tesoro Silver uMax fitted with a 12x10 Concentric coil is said to even go deeper than the Tejon fitted with the 9x8 stock coil.

Also, Tesoro machines absolutely love brass/copper/gold.

My vote is for Tesoro.

Doug

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Yep, The Tesoro Tejon is "the" relic machine. I hope to make this my next machine. The Nautilus DMCII is a close second but harder to master from what I've read. I use a Tesoro Cibola now so stepping up to a Tejon should be no problem.
Good luck\
Greg

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
But, I've heard the Nautilus DMCII has some serious depth to it. I have a Cibola, but would like to find something that can pick up bullets at 12 inches. The areas I'm digging are ok to use a shovel, so that's not a problem.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
A few come to mind. I use the Tejon. Very light, deep and easy to use once you get the hang of ground balancing it. There are tons of coils for it to fit just about any situation you come across. It doesn't have a lot of whiz bangs, but it gets the job done, has a lifetime warranty, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It is a great machine if you don't need doodads telling you what to dig.

The Nautilus. Very deep machine with the monsterous coil they have for it. Multi-tone, but can have a steep learning curve to use if effectively. Cumbersome if you don't mod it to make it more ergonomic. More expensive than the Tejon, but deeper with that big coil from what I have seen.

F75 or T2. Very nice machines with lots of whiz bangs. I want a T2 myself, but haven't convinced myself I want to learn a new machine all over again. I don't even know if they make any other coil besides the standard coil for them yet, but they both get great reviews. The T2 did very well is the nastiest soil I had ever come across, better than my Tejon, or at least the signals were more readable as good signals. My Tejon saw the targets, but the signals weren't something I would normally dig. Knowing the area, I would dig these signals anyway and find relics and not the junk they sounded like. The F75 is pretty expensive. Both of these machines are very light as well.

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007
Canewrap said:
But, I've heard the Nautilus DMCII has some serious depth to it. I have a Cibola, but would like to find something that can pick up bullets at 12 inches. The areas I'm digging are ok to use a shovel, so that's not a problem.

Oh, 12 inches deep is what you want? I thought we were talking in the 8 inch range.

For 3-ringers at 12 inches you're talkin Nautilus IIB with the 15 inch coil or the Explorer SE or II (so I've read). There may be others that will do it but I couldn't say.

I've used the Nautilus IIB for 1 year and it's a different type of animal. It's simple to learn and use but it's highly affected by many different types of weather conditions and soils. I had the IIB fitted with the 15 inch coil and it would find small brass or iron relics at 12-14 inches easily but pinpointing with that monster sized coil can be a challenge and the rod modification is a must have. The IIB is a dry hot weather machine. Down south in the hot dry season in moderate soil the Naut with 15 inch coil will go deeper than you'd believe. In states with high humidity and cool wet weather spells and lots of iron trash it doesn't fare too well except with the tiny 6 inch coil. The Naut with 6 inch coil is a coinshooters dream come true but it's only good down to about 8 inches max. And too the coils aren't waterproof and the metal box tends to form condensation which can make the Nautilus unstable until dried out.

If you check ebay and the Nautilus forum you'll find lots of IIB's for sale. Many buy it and sell it within a year or two.

I sold my IIB and opted for the Tejon due to it being rock solid stable machine in all weather conditions and just as deep as the Nautilus IIB fitted with the 10 inch coil. I've asked Mr. Gifford of Tesoro to make a 12x10 concentric coil for the Tejon and he said he'd take a look at it as soon as they finish some more pressing tasks like getting caught up on back orders. When and if they make the coil I predict it will beat the Nautilus IIB fitted with the 15 inch coil. Right now the Silver uMax with the 12x10 concentric would probably do it in moderate soil but overall no factory preset detector can compete with a manual ground balance machine.

You're not going to find 3-ringers at 12 inches with the Cibola. With the Tejon you might be able to get a weak signal in some soils. With the IIB fitted with the 15 inch coil you'll get a loud signal but only if ground and weather conditions are right.

The Explorer II and SE are able to do the job (so I've heard) but get ready for a time of learning. I've been told that once mastered it's unsurpassed but probably 4 out of 5 I know who bought a SE or II ended up selling it and went back to the GT or some other brand. I guess it's like some give up on the DFX and go back to the MXT. The biggest complaint I've heard on the SE is in regard to the meter readings, not the depth. Some say it's way off and they've returned their machines for repair but they came back the same. Some SE owners hated it so badly they even made websites to blast it! (haha) Personally, it's on my future buy list. I like a challenge!

Doug

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doug, this is the kind of information that makes this forum so valuable and I for one, really, really appreciate you taking the time to put down your thoughts. I live in the South, with the conditions you describe, but I would like to be able to take my machine other places, so I'm really considering what you've said about the Tejon, especially if there is any possibility they'll develop the 12X10 coil you mentioned.

Thanks again,
Bill Walters

P.S. What kind of depth are getting with the Tejon on metal targets (scrap or otherwise) that are around quarter to 1/2 dollar size?

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007
Canewrap said:
P.S. What kind of depth are getting with the Tejon on metal targets (scrap or otherwise) that are around quarter to 1/2 dollar size?

You're welcome.

I really haven't measured my digs but I'd say I've dug Indian cents at up to 10 inches and half dollar sized iron trash at 13-15 inches.

All Tesoros love iron, brass (copper, gold), and lead. The Tejon will detect iron cannonballs about as deep as they come.

For CW relics you need a good iron/brass/lead machine.

Doug

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is that I aint hardcore enough and admit that right now. I say get a Tejon and come into the modern age. No offense to you Nautilus folks, but weather conditions gotta be just right with the wind blowing correctly with the Nautilus? Whats next, slamander tails and eye of newt?
How about that metal clunk box gathering moisture and condensation?
Like I said, I am not hardcore enough.

Maybe the Badger isn't the absolute in depth, but it aint no slouch, either. It can also be toned down and actually used like normal people use detectors - in parks, on beaches and so on. I know of one bloke that can clean up a school yard with his one day and be out relic hunting the next day in the deep woods. I think of it as a 1266X PLUS. That is something, right there.

You asked - get the Tejon

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i had a whites Qxt a great relic machine, i love my T-2, its light sensitive to small brass, excellant audio discrimination, gives a visual # ID in allmetal mode, so far it has only one coil beeing a DD that is awsome at seperation, also pinpoints in the center. I dont really think it needs a smaller coil, but would be nice in the nails.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread