When MDing, dont let your shoes fool ya.

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
Re: When MD'ing, don't let your shoes fool ya.

Been there... why do I always get a hit when I am walking forward, but when I stop to check it out, it is gone.... :-[ yea, been there... HH Joe

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL, That has happened t me more then once. I have also forgot to take my wedding ring off and that threw me off for a little bit.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've taken to wearing my wading boot instead of the dive booties when water hunting. There are brass nails in the wading boots that make my detector ping if the coil gets near a foot of them. I never remember till I am in the water again and always say I will use the booties next time.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal

I think we've all done this at least once.

I've left my wedding band on (under dive gloves) when fanning underwater with my detecor... I couldn't figure out why I was getting these great sounding hits... and finding only lead sinkers...

-steel-toed shoes... that took me about 3 steps (and 2 holes) to figure out

oh... and on a side note... some shoes even without the steel toes have enough metal in them, between the eyelets and the metal support, to set off the detector

steve

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yep done that too, also don't use a 2 box when people around you are wearing steel toes.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I knew you and your post was here somewhere!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I recently went out to a farm to help the owner locate some "burried jars" he claimed to know about. Because I knew I would be out in an area where snakes were I wore my boots with steel toes. The guy helping me out acting as a guide was being a real jerk and really obnoxious. He watched me for a few minutes and asked questions about what a good signal was. As I said he was being a jerk, he insisted he dig everything I found. After about thirty minutes of his company I kept getting a signal I just couldn't figure out. It was there and we would dig and then it was gone and then I would stand back up and it was there and then it was gone, you got it my metal toe boots. Well I used it to my advantage and let me tell you the guy dug holes for an hour and a half where there was absolutely nothing! I later explained to the owner what I was doing and he laughed so hard he almost wet himself. Seems he wasn't too happy with the "guide" either. But I figured it out only because of this post. Thanks.

(the guide was his brother-in-law who insisted he be there while we searched, and I did seriously look for the jars, only found two coins both new.)

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used to glue a nickel and zinc cent to the top of my cheap-sneaker detecting shoes when I was learning a new detector. I stuck the nickel on the left shoe and the zincer on the right. Then I could adjust and test the DISC while in the field. The last time I did this was when I first got my Tesoro Golden.

NOTE: The El Cheapo, Dollar Store shoes I'm referring to are usually some ugly behind pieces of footwear. To remedy this, I grab a can of black paint when I pick up the shoes and just hose em down with the paint.

Its a pretty useful little trick, but, it's the same as for steel toes or Sandmans boot - - you gotta remember that the coins are stuck on there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread