☆☆☆UPDATE !!!☆☆☆

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the incident, my husband and I have obtained permission from the city Mayor to metal detect in all city parks. Instead of complaining or being confrontational we decided, with a little guidance from others, that it was in the best interest of our hobby to be professional and courteous when seeking permission. Despite our frustration at times, I feel we must ALL do our part to demonstrate integrity and respect by being advocates for metal detecting. We cannot allow our passion to override our common sense and dignity when dealing with officials, regardless if they are right or wrong. How we conduct ourselves in these situations is a direct reflection of us as individuals as well as a collective group of metal detectorists. Confrontation, negativity and/or blatant disregard for rules reflects poorly and tarnishes our reputation. Thus, making us more vulnerable to negative attention from the very people we want on our side. I will always strive to leave a positive interaction with each person I come in contact with while detecting. I feel it is much more conducive to favorable outcomes like mine today. Thanks for reading and for all the support and comments! :icon_cheers:

Upvote 0

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
We all handle confrontation differently and we all live with the consequences we get. Congrats on doing what you felt was right and getting the results you wanted.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal, oatmeal! I had replied to your first post regarding the dreaded "ordinance", as I have the same situation here in my city. Way to go! So if you don't mind me asking, exactly what route did you take through Redtapeville to get to the Mayor? I am certainly interested in doing the exact same thing here, and you have inspired me to get the ball rolling. Again, congratulations on your victory, and I thank you in advance for any and all advice you may have to offer...Now go get that coil over that virgin soil ! Sincerely, DDF....

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so glad to hear that you gained permission. You sound like a good ambassador of the hobby and now you get to show people that metal detecting with proper technique is nothing to worry about.

I'm lucky, the mayor of my town is my father in law!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't aware that you had any difficulties with your local authorities........or what those differences of opinion were. But, I am very pleased and relieved for you that those issues were resolved in your favor. As positive ambassadors and role models for our hobby, I salute you and all your efforts!!!!

A suggestion: Any significant historical finds should be taken directly to the mayor and donated to the community.............:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to metal detecting forum.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Treasure Hunter. Being new I wasn't sure which forum to post to since this was an update to a previous post here. Sorry!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Treasure Hunter. Being new I wasn't sure which forum to post to since this was an update to a previous post here. Sorry!

Not a problem and welcome to TreasureNet, the original Treasure Forum. TreasureNet is 21 years old this year...

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good deal, oatmeal! I had replied to your first post regarding the dreaded "ordinance", as I have the same situation here in my city. Way to go! So if you don't mind me asking, exactly what route did you take through Redtapeville to get to the Mayor? I am certainly interested in doing the exact same thing here, and you have inspired me to get the ball rolling. Again, congratulations on your victory, and I thank you in advance for any and all advice you may have to offer...Now go get that coil over that virgin soil ! Sincerely, DDF....

DDF I sent you a PM.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
kyDgnQueen, whenever someone, like yourself here, gets a "yes", it's very easy to conclude, as you did, that this is a good thing, the proper way-to-have-done it, etc.... I mean, who can argue with success afterall ?

Was there a "no metal detecting" law or rule for your parks, that you needed over-turned (hence your requesting permission) ? Curious what you would have done if the answer had been "no" ? Would the conclusion also be "it's a good thing I asked, because now I know it's not allowed" ?

So either a "yes" or a "no" results in the same take-away it seems.

But what other answer could they give ? I can not imagine any park or city person saying: "That's a silly question. Why are you asking me ? You don't need my/our permission for something that's not forbidden in the first place". No. Authority never answers like that. They bestow on you their princely "yes" or "no" . Afterall, you asked, so it subconsciously implies to them that their say-so-was needed.

So whenever stories of "yes" or "no" come out, I do not see them as "see it's a good thing I asked" conclusion. Or to think that means "their say-so was necessary". Glad you got a yes though.

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kyDgnQueen, whenever someone, like yourself here, gets a "yes", it's very easy to conclude, as you did, that this is a good thing, the proper way-to-have-done it, etc.... I mean, who can argue with success afterall ?

Was there a "no metal detecting" law or rule for your parks, that you needed over-turned (hence your requesting permission) ? Curious what you would have done if the answer had been "no" ? Would the conclusion also be "it's a good thing I asked, because now I know it's not allowed" ?

So either a "yes" or a "no" results in the same take-away it seems.

But what other answer could they give ? I can not imagine any park or city person saying: "That's a silly question. Why are you asking me ? You don't need my/our permission for something that's not forbidden in the first place". No. Authority never answers like that. They bestow on you their princely "yes" or "no" . Afterall, you asked, so it subconsciously implies to them that their say-so-was needed.

So whenever stories of "yes" or "no" come out, I do not see them as "see it's a good thing I asked" conclusion. Or to think that means "their say-so was necessary". Glad you got a yes though.

Perhaps it would enlighten you to read my first post of why I asked in the first place. I had already hunted 8 hours in that park on 2 separate days before I was told it was not allowed. Hence, why I questioned whether thete was a city ordinance against it. I'm not here to argue with anyone and feel free to disagree with my methods. You are certainly entitled to your opinions.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to read the incident you are talking about, but alas you have started too many topics for me to go back and search your entire post history. Maybe you should provide a link to the topic if you so desire other members to know what you're talking about.

Feb 25, 2008
Jackson Purchase area of western Kentucky.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540. Fisher CZ-21; Bounty Hunter SS II; Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to read the incident you are talking about, but alas you have started too many topics for me to go back and search your entire post history. Maybe you should provide a link to the topic if you so desire other members to know what you're talking about.

Not too tough to figure out. Try here.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the incident, my husband and I have obtained permission from the city Mayor to metal detect in all city parks. Instead of complaining or being confrontational we decided, with a little guidance from others, that it was in the best interest of our hobby to be professional and courteous when seeking permission. Despite our frustration at times, I feel we must ALL do our part to demonstrate integrity and respect by being advocates for metal detecting. We cannot allow our passion to override our common sense and dignity when dealing with officials, regardless if they are right or wrong. How we conduct ourselves in these situations is a direct reflection of us as individuals as well as a collective group of metal detectorists. Confrontation, negativity and/or blatant disregard for rules reflects poorly and tarnishes our reputation. Thus, making us more vulnerable to negative attention from the very people we want on our side. I will always strive to leave a positive interaction with each person I come in contact with while detecting. I feel it is much more conducive to favorable outcomes like mine today. Thanks for reading and for all the support and comments! :icon_cheers:

...and this, is why you are Queen! Bravo!

OP
OP
KyDigNQueen

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much, Top and FindersKeepers!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Perhaps it would enlighten you to read my first post of why I asked in the first place. I had already hunted 8 hours in that park on 2 separate days before I was told it was not allowed. Hence, why I questioned whether thete was a city ordinance against it....

thanx for the rest of the info. No, I did not know or see (or recall?) that post.

Yes that puts a different spin on it. If I thought that was a "fluke incident", I would fear going and "seeking clarification" and "seeking permission" (to over-turn a possible isolated "scram"). Because I've heard of incidents (when there wasn't a specific "no md'ing" rule) where it now turns into something official, or a department wide "BOL", etc...

I know of a lot places where an isolated scram occurs, but was just a singular individual having a bad hair day. Or a cop who was only responding to a "call from a lookie-lou grump", but could personally care less (they just feel the need to satisfy/justify the call-out). So I have lots of parks with isolated grumps, but ..... in a lot of cities, that .... to this day, you can go there. Sure: I gave lip service, and sure, I "gave it a rest" for awhile, but on the other hand, do not always consider anybody's scram to constitute a "new law that must be fought".

Exceptions would be if there's no escaping that someone truly cares 24 x 7, and they're always there, etc..... Yes I know, it's hard to differentiate a "fluke" versus an actual true deal. Glad you got a yes.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello. I read this thread, and the one Top linked to, which is the original thread (thanks for making sense of this thread Top), and maybe I missed it, but was there an actual code or ordinance against metal detecting? I mean, was it expressly prohibited activity?

I didn't see where that was mentioned concretely.

If not, then why ask permission for an activity that is not prohibited by law? :icon_scratch:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Not too tough to figure out. Try here.

Thanks.

I think the point was that it's generally considered bad form on forums to post an update completely disconnected from the original thread and leaving a reader feeling discombobulated.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; CONGRATULATIONS.!!!! :headbang: Way to go. You have done what I and others here have been trying to do for the last 2 years. They want to BAN "ALL" metal detecting on DCR controlled beaches here in Mass. We launched a write in campaign and the response from all the Folks here put so much pressure on the DCR that they rescinded the Law. It is now DEAD. BUUUTTT somehow the DCR Rangers here have not gotten the word and continue to harass us constantly. Thus I am doing what I can to have the Rescindment placed on ONE FORM so that when We go digging here that if We are stopped by a DCR Ranger We can just show them ONE Form instead of 5.
You are 100% right in that We "NEED" to use courtesy and Calm at all times when dealing with these Officials. Thanks for a job well done.
Please Post a copy of any Form or Letter you have from the Mayor so that others in your area can Print it out and show it to "anyone" who may try to stop them in your area ok. Also Please read the Thread that is Posted at the TOP of the General Discussion Forum and sign Our Petition as well ok. Thanks. Again CONGRATULATIONS. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat: :leprechaun-hat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread