Help Please !! Need advice on finding rings/gold with At Pro.....

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey T-Net people, I'm starting my 2nd full season of detecting with my At Pro, and would like some solid advice from other At Pro users out there...While I have just about mastered locating coins, silver..etc...I've only found a handful of rings ( none gold)...I've tried the method of just digging every signal 39 and up, and filled a five gallon bucket with trash, can slaw etc...but no gold...so I beseech thee...looking for some great advice from my Garrett peeps...thx very much in advance, ddf...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skippy, thanks SO much for the lengthy and extremely informative reply...I do have several spots you have described, plus we're camping this weekend at a resort with a beach...so maybe Monday I'll be posting my own 5 ring day! As far as tone goes, are rings more of a solid or steady tone...without a lot of scratching or squeaking or jumping? Skippy, thanks again, your information is priceless and I can't wait to hit the campground this weekend!.....Ddf

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pointers Skippy! I'll also be following this post as I am also a novice with the ATP.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes: Skippy is right. Anytime the subject of upping one's gold ring count comes up, there is often the suggestion of "dig junk till your arms fall off lest you miss a gold ring". As if that's the solve-all for finding more gold rings, right ?

But it's ALREADY A GIVEN that alloyed gold rings are low conductors. So the MUCH BETTER advice is to go to where the odds are better. Namely swim beaches. Other places are ski-lift lines in the summer melt (d/t people taking off their gloves while waiting in the lift-lines), wrestle pits, sand-volley balls courts, etc...

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found several rings in tot lots. one valued $1800 so I never pass a tot lot. You are right about the signal. You can tell more often than not it's not foil or slaw. I have found rings anywhere from 35 to 87 with the ATP. The 35 sounds low but it was disguised by a rusty bolt.

I have haven't had the same luck with my more expensive detectors but I also have not used them as much and the E-Trac is a noted coin machine so gold rings are not a signal you most often dig.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your up north and don't have a beach to hunt the sled riding hills give them up pretty good.

KyDigNQueen

May 30, 2016
KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great thread! Thanks for all the info as I am hoping to start hitting some jewelry soon at some of my sites.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I continue to learn my ATP, I have also been testing the tones on my wife's jewelry so I have an idea of the different nuances on the different sizes, shapes, and types.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Skippy
Really, it's not about digging trash. You can dig trash all day long and never find a single ring. It's about LOCATION.

Amen..

And Hats off to you Skippy for all the rings you have dug on land! Insane amount!!:headbang:

I hunted the dirt for several years, Never found one gold ring. Jumped in the water 8 years ago......best thing I have every done. It just keeps getting better.

And it is because of the LOCATION..

Last Years 2015,..... 123 Gold rings, and 10 misc pieces

OBN0361.jpg

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very smart. That's the way to do it. Take it one step father and while testing your wife's jewelry, ALSO test against can slaw and pop-tabs. You'll find it'll be easier to note the differences, than if you simply try to "remember" what it sounds like later.

Great idea thank you!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are an inspiration. I just repurchased a new ATP from Bart. It's the only detector I've found gold with several times!
Best of luck out there!

toad1976

Greenie
Apr 18, 2014
Vancouver island BC Canada
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro and garrett at pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I just got the AT Pro Upgraded from the Euro Ace about a month ago. I have had really good luck on high school football fields the one I am hunting now is virgin ground there is clad every where and so far one silver ring 5.5gr one really small gold ring 1.5gr and a silver necklace 4.7gr and about 20 dollars in clad. sorry don't have a pick of the silver ring I gave it to my nephew he now has my Euro ace silver 2.jpg ring small.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread