Help buying a metal detector...

Finderskeepers1

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

So I am new to the forum and joined because I want to restart a tradition my grandfather had. He used to collect old coins and would often find them when metal detecting. It was something we did together so I thought I would give it another go (many years on!). I also love history and antiques so it makes sense to me!

I don't have a metal detector yet so wondered if anyone could suggest the best place to buy one from? As it will only be a hobby I do not want to spend too much money, perhaps second hand is best? I really have no idea what I should be looking for!

Any suggestions of models as well as websites would be appreciated! Thanks :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fkeepers, Probably start of by saying where you plan to hunt and the type of soil. Not all detectors function the same per given area. State and general location of the hunting area plus budget considerations. Welcome to the forum.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you finally decide on - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We need to know what State you are in, type of soil, what you want to detect for i.e., coins, jewelry, relics, gold nuggets, saltwater, freshwater, Price Range...

Browse the forum for the info you need. Use the SEARCH box to type in key words.

Big gold to you! :skullflag:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Buying used is not a bad idea. The only advice that I have, is to buy the best that you can afford. This "might" keep you from buying more than once... in the first year anyway.

I started out with a $200 machine, used it three times, went to a $700 machine, used it for 90 days.... then a $1500 machine, which has served me well for 2 years!

Best of luck to you!

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new also, been at it part time for about a year. I did it the wrong way. I didn't consider what I wanted to be able to do, I bought a used Bounty hunter pioneer 505, which was cheap, but surprisingly complex for a beginner. Next I got a Garrett Ace 250, which is a fine, but it a great job finding coins, but won't find gold, unless it a big chunk. So determine what you want to do, and and if you going to "hunt" in mineralized soil like in california. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet!
I find the Teknetics detectors a great choice when starting out. The Eurotek Pro is a solid detector as is the Omega 8000.
Another one for serious consideration is the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. All of these are lower mid price detectors that are outstanding for their value. None of the above detectors are for water although you can get the coil wet just not the control box.
Wet salt water beaches and shallow water hunting will require a detector that can ground balance to salt. Preferably with a manual ground balance.
Best of luck!

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey cuz...welcome! Hold on tight, you might(ok, pc adverb placement) get a lot of different opinions.

Help others help you...talk about the types of sites you are most likely to be hunting (ie, woods,beach,parks, old homes). How about where you are from, at least general location as detector performance can vary greatly depending on soil makeup. Think you'll be spending 2 hours a month hunting OR every Saturday? Do you consider yourself tech savvy or does the thought of making adjustments on the fly without being able to watch 4 youtube videos, scare the daylights out of you? Any idea, even a rough guess about a budget amount?? Some people consider $100 to be a lot of money while others might be willing to part with something nearer to $1,000 with little more than a few minutes thought.

OP
OP
F

Finderskeepers1

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet!
I find the Teknetics detectors a great choice when starting out. The Eurotek Pro is a solid detector as is the Omega 8000.
Another one for serious consideration is the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro. All of these are lower mid price detectors that are outstanding for their value. None of the above detectors are for water although you can get the coil wet just not the control box.
Wet salt water beaches and shallow water hunting will require a detector that can ground balance to salt. Preferably with a manual ground balance.
Best of luck!

Thanks for your suggestions I will have a look at these options! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
F

Finderskeepers1

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

So I am new to the forum and joined because I want to restart a tradition my grandfather had. He used to collect old coins and would often find them when metal detecting. It was something we did together so I thought I would give it another go (many years on!). I also love history and antiques so it makes sense to me!

I don't have a metal detector yet so wondered if anyone could suggest the best place to buy one from? As it will only be a hobby I do not want to spend too much money, perhaps second hand is best? I really have no idea what I should be looking for!

Any suggestions of models as well as websites would be appreciated! Thanks :icon_thumright:

So it seems I missed a few vital points out! Sorry about that...

I am actually from the UK and live in the countryside so would be detecting in grassy areas or woodland. I would be looking for old coins like my grandfather collected. It isn't about making money for me and I would also probably only have chance to use it a couple of times a month so with this in mind I would prefer to spend around $200 which is why I thought second hand would be worth considering. I am looking at a couple of websites that sell second hand ones: staffsmetaldectors and for-sale.co.uk. I am in no rush to buy one so will keep a look out for any of the models suggested on here. I will buy a new one though if that is what you all recommend...

Thanks again!

KJP462

Jun 22, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
White's MX Sport,
White's MX5,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finderskeepers,

I too am new to metal detecting. My dad has done it over 35 years, and swears by White's detectors. He's had a lot of success using them over the years. He currently uses a DFX (which has since been discontinued I believe). It's a high end detector that seemed a bit overkill for a begineer. Being new to the hobby, I sought advice on the forum and from a local White's dealer, and I settled on a White's MX5. For coin shooting in Pennsylvania, the MX5 seemed to be the best fit. It's super light and really balanced. I was initially going to get a White's Treasure Pro, but the dealer I spoke with (who has over 50 years of experience metal detecting) said that the MX5 is overall a better and more powerful machine than the cheaper detectors that White's offers. Sorry I can't speak to any other brands as I only have knowledge on White's detectors. Good luck in your search.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the $200 range the Teknetics Eurotek Pro which was actually designed for your neck of the woods would be a great machine for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread