Need advice on 1750 property

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an opportunity to detect a large property with a home from 1750. Apparently there are several old structures such as barns and possibly some other old buildings. Sorry I don't know much more than that but will update the post after Saturday's hunt. Anyway, any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Upvote 0

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First piece of advice is to invite a fellow PA hunter who loves colonial sites - like me! Just kidding, of course!

Look for the water source, and start the hunt between there and the homestead. Also the same if you can possibly find the original out houses.... but in the end try to place yourself in their shoes, and check it out.

Finally, dig everything that isn't iron... and also some of the iron too! (especially the bigger pieces, which can be good relics and also hide good targets)

Good luck!

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First piece of advice is to invite a fellow PA hunter who loves colonial sites - like me! Just kidding, of course!

Look for the water source, and start the hunt between there and the homestead. Also the same if you can possibly find the original out houses.... but in the end try to place yourself in their shoes, and check it out.

Finally, dig everything that isn't iron... and also some of the iron too! (especially the bigger pieces, which can be good relics and also hide good targets)

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. I will definitely give your suggestions a try. Definitely makes sense. I would offer the invite if it was my permission and I was able. I was at my cousins talking about metal detecting, actually gave him one of the stainless steal or titanium wedding bands i had found since he had lost his. He was asking where I go and I explained that I hit a lake, some sports fields, schools, and tot lots but really need to find some older places. He said let me call the lady down the street, she has a big property from 1805. Thought wow that would be great. She didnt call back yet but he still thinks that will be an option; however, he called another friend of his with the 1750 property. He has a lot of connections because he does a lot of tree work. He is also going with and we will take turns switching back and forth with the AT Pro and Ace 250. Thanks again!

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start at each corner of the home and sweep outward from each. Start with the corner that was least overlooked from a road or neighbors. Many people used to bury their money rather than use a bank, but they would have to remember where it was buried. A common technique was to use the house structure as a reference point and house corners were a good reference.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Start at each corner of the home and sweep outward from each. Start with the corner that was least overlooked from a road or neighbors. Many people used to bury their money rather than use a bank, but they would have to remember where it was buried. A common technique was to use the house structure as a reference point and house corners were a good reference.

Good points! Old growth trees in view from the Master Bedroom and/or Kitchen windows are also good places to metal detect as folks would also bury their' money and other valuables near the base of these.

Frank

OP
OP
P

PAScott

Jul 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advice. It definitely makes sense. Unfortunately my cousin, using my old ace 250, and I, using my AT Pro weren't really able to hunt the property very well. Iron in the soil and trash I'm assuming had the machines going crazy. Other thoughts were that electric and water lines were not buried deep and effecting the machines. There also was a rather large tv satellite on the ground in the field behind where we were hunting. Not sure what it was but turned sensitivity way down but then only got trash hits (lots and not deep). Did find an intact top (looked old and ceramic/glass) to a mason jar. Fell out of the mangled top. Very disappointing considering my anticipation but I guess you never know and it was still an awesome place!

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you try changing the frequency on the AT? That sometime's will help get rid of some/most/all of the chatter. Trashy area? Might be time to invest in the 5x8 coil for the AT. Boy I hate to see you only give it one shot. Sometimes you have to clean up the trash to get to the good stuff.:thumbsup: Keep at it!

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure like to hit something like that with my Deus...

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

CaballoDeOro

Jun 29, 2012
Southwest MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A satellite receiver dish won't affect your detector (a transmitting dish might, but it's unlikely to be a transmitter). Iron shouldn't be too much of a problem for the AT Pro hunting in Pro mode and using Iron Audio. The exception is if the iron is in big lumps (think large pipes or vehicle pieces). Those will drive any detector crazy and you'll have to use sizing techniques with your coil to avoid digging them. Of course if you're after old artifacts you'll want to dig every signal you get.

The biggest problem I've experienced in old home sites is when previous owners have had gutters replaced or aluminum siding installed. The contractors will leave trimmings all around the house that will have become buried and they ring in high on the VDI scale, making you think there are coins all over the place.

As with all trashy sites, you have to really know your detector and have a lot of patience.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's been continuously used since 1750, there is without a doubt going to be a LOT of trash. It's not going to be the kind of site you can hit once and then write off.... Sometimes it takes 4-5 trips of digging trash and eliminating junk that will mask things to get to the good targets. Go slow, dig lots of holes and have fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread